• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Captain Falcon?

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
It is I, Bomba, your friendly neighborhood s***poster. I absolutely love playing Captain Falcon, but I suck at him. And I mean, bad. I always seem to miss every single combo (I swear this brand new New 3DS XL is giving me input lag, but that's probably not the actual cause) and then get punished due to CF's terribad recovery. I want to use the micro jump/Nair combo but I can't ever get the jump to go off properly, I have to try really hard to press it in less than 0.05 seconds or whatever the timing is. I also try to use Uair to juggle but it nearly always comes out as a Knee, I guess I'm cursed.

Anyways, any suggestions so that I can have a winrate higher than... 16%? <- I told you it was bad!

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, that sounds more like execution errors. You'll just have to practice doing the inputs correctly. I can say that the short hop Nair strings are percent reliant and will rarely combo after 55%; even more awkward if you've taken around 100% because the Rage mechanic will cause the Nairs to be pushed a significant distance away. Also take into account that character size determines whether or not the Nair will actually connect. On smaller characters, I never attempt Nair while rising. I always start the combo by jumping at short hop range > using Nair so the first hit misses > fastfall so the second hit connects and auto cancels. From there, you can buffer a dash forward and use another one.

Nair strings aren't something I would rely too heavily on if you're trying to increase your win-rate though. Instead, I would recommend using that Nair hit to let you pressure with something else; or to bait a reaction and punish. I've even had opportunities where short hopping toward them, fast falling and then Fsmashing has even worked after the second Nair hit connected.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Sounds like your problem is the terrible choice of console. The wii u version will fix that right up for ya'.

Smash Ace
What I do: ( Combos ) My opponent is under 20%: Forward Throw, Dash Attack, and follow up with U-airs if possible. 20% to around 60-70%: Down Throw, Dash then jump and land as many Up Airs as possible. ( Deals about 30% from my experience. ) I can't do Falcon's N-air combos because every time I try i end up doing something else. 70% and above: Not really any combos you can do anymore.

Chud

Smash Rookie
NNID
A3R0dynamic
Anticipate the opponents recovery and try to bait out air dodges off stage. This can lead to low % kills for falcon.

Chud

Smash Rookie
NNID
A3R0dynamic
When you get them off stage, jump up to them and see how they will react. They will either do nothing and give you a free up air. Or they will air dodge in anticipation of the Uair. Then punish the air dodge.

Smash Ace
When you get them off stage, jump up to them and see how they will react. They will either do nothing and give you a free up air. Or they will air dodge in anticipation of the Uair. Then punish the air dodge.
ok

Smash Ace
Tip: NEVER play on Lylat Cruise. Whenever I try to recover, I end up recovering under the stage!!! How many times its happened, I don't remember. (I lost count at 568931.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom