• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for a rushdown Main looking to pick up ZSS

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
I've been feeling I need another character in my arsenal for tournaments. At the launch of Wii U I mained falcon, then switched to Fox. Fox has treated me more than well and I'm only getting better, however I'd like to also pick up ZSS.

So can I get some tips of how I can transition between a rush down style...to whatever ZSS does? Any helpful videos to watch? Advanced tactics with ZSS. etc. Anything to help a moderately skilled and experienced tournament attendee?

Rockir

Smash Rookie
NNID
Parsa27
I'm not too good at ZSS myself, but one thing I can tell you is to never approach with a raw grab. mix it up, and always keep your opponent guessing and on their toes. I see a lot of ZSSs just start a match by running in to get a down throw. Kinda like how every FG little Mac starts with a dash attack . I try to mix up my approaches with empty hops and SHFF nairs, as my opponent won't have any way to know which one I'll do. Best wishes!

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
There's no easy way to transition to ZSS from any character. You're going to have to replace whatever your neutral was before with SHFF aerials and raw mobility. You're going to replace trying to force your opponent into a bad position with trying to get your opponent to put himself into a bad position. Your combo starters are landing Nair, landing Uair, and Dthrow, but Grab is ONLY to be used for hard reads, punishes, and traps. Your hard punish options will be your combo options and Dsmash. Your neutral will consist of trying to get a read or a punish, dancing around your opponent and firing stray Paralyzer Shots until an opportunity presents itself.

Basically, you're going to have to learn a lot of patience and be willing to take big risks if you deem the reward worth it.

skoolzout1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skoolzout1
3DS FC
0018-2889-0858
ZSS is definitley not a 'pick up and succeed' character. Sure the grab follow ups aren't hard but against any capable opponent, you'll struggle to kill or get anything done safely unless you know how to play her well. If I could give you any advice I would say learn how to space nairs perfectly and do them on the run. Practise cross up Bairs and RAR nairs. And the number one thing I can suggest is don't jump if you don't need to. Don't just spam short hop fast fall nairs because, as a fox player you should know, it's easily destroyed by run up, up smash.

Oh and learn how to space zairs. Both retreating zairs and approaching zairs. Approaching allows a guaranteed grab at certain percents, but again, don't spam it because if your opponent reads your short hops you'll eat some up smashes.

Top Bottom