• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tips for a natural pikachu?

Veng

Smash Ace
Alright so I tried all characters and my friends are pretty good at brawl but anyways the one I finally stopped on that I could win with was pikachu.

Hes got a chaingrab for them fox/sheik players which are rarer' this time around, but still I face them occasionally. And I just seem to be better at approaching, like short hop thunder bolts ( b ) and the use of his smashes work if they approach ( far range fsmash, back and front dsmash, u smash sometimes for the opponent coming from the air to ko them ) and the ledge guarding down b ( bolt? ) butt I dont seem to use aerials much anymore with pikachu.

Does anyone have any advice for a pikachu player? should I keep on goin with him? I also hear robs a good character if you naturally like pikachu, should I try him? any other players?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Yeah.... I think I'll just leave this here:

Fair: One of Pikachu's best moves for setting up combos. It has little or no lag to it, (I can't tell) so when landing on the ground, you can immediately hop into an attack (mostly down smash due to how easily it sucks people in).

Nair: Useful against large characters. I think it's knockback is about even (possibly better) than Dair. A word of warning, however. Use it only when you're certain you won't hit the ground afterwards. If you do hit the ground, Pikachu's body makes a "Bwoop" sound and he enters a short recovery animation in which he does no damage. He's easily punished from it. Therefore, it's best uses are while RISING in midair as opposed to falling, unless you're certain you will hit.

Bair: This gets a lot of criticism as one of Pikachu's laggiest attacks. However, it has even LESS start-up lag than any of his other aerials. In fact, it seems like it has none at all. It also serves as a small bit o. Even more criticism arises from how it can be used. It barely knocks characters back, and that's only on the last hit. It also follows a knockback system that is very sensitive: The knockback direction is whatever side of Pikachu the opponent is on. Depending on their DI, they have decent control over it, but you still have time to send them where you want before the last hit. I probably don't use this where I should, but it is HIGHLY underrated. Its lack of startup lag is good enough to escape from Pika's D-Throw->U-Tilt combo, and that's saying something.

Dair: Freshly used out of a full hop, this has none of the "Pikasquish" landing lag that you get if you hit the ground normally. If you do hit the ground, however, a small electric shockwave pops out of Pikachu's skull and does 4% damage to those around you with more knockback than if you hit the opponent instead of the ground. This makes the landing lag not as bad as Nair, but it's still punishable. Use Dair with a Sweet-spotted Thunder and use the Shockwave out of a QAC.

Uair: Speed and Range. Those are it's only selling points. It can be immediately used during a jump to hit someone behind Pikachu and set Pika up for a Fair, or it can be used in the air once or twice then (depending on opponent's DI and your momentum) a Nair. In the air it has pretty much NO lag, but when land-canceled (land before the move finishes)
Metaknight, Charizard)

P.S.: Though we are all Christians, let's not get too arrogant about our beliefs, shall we? It's good to believe in a God, but it's bad to FORCE it on people.

Roller

Smash Legend
You didn't need to start 2 threads dude. w/e

USE AERIALS, they are an enormous part of Pika's game. Aerials and QAC, and a bit of seroids makes pika teh best around the pokecenter. :wink:

gallax

Smash Hero
well something that most people dont say is this.

1) Dont get hit
2) Do not go into a match planning out your moves. Let them come natural. The only time you plan is when you have a combo.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
I feel that you will NEED to use the aerials pika has if you want to win, as his grounded moves are good, but often lacking in combo and setup ability as such.

Meh. I'm Catholic, but why should I force it on people?

smaci92

Smash Lord
I feel that you will NEED to use the aerials pika has if you want to win, as his grounded moves are good, but often lacking in combo and setup ability as such.

wow, this is kinda amazing. First you tell me you play piano just like me. Then you say your Catholic. Well, guess what, so am I lol. and we both play pika in brawl...heh, we have a lot in common! :lol:

Zylar

Smash Ace
LOL Pika-christians

Whoa 0_o :eek: I'm a Pika-christian too. :grin: (Hmmm, possible new trend?!?! :lick: )

BTW, is it bad for a pika to love roll dodging :chuckle:? My game inproved dramatically when I learned it and I've used it alot, but now I'm wondering :dizzy: the point when pika is better in the air.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying that randomly stating things about religion have tended to lead to rather touchy topics on multiple forums IMO. There's more often than not some guy that wants to troll the Christians (or other religions), and start a religious debate, leading to a ****load of drama and crap on a forum. It's what locked off LUE from the rest of GameFAQs.

'sides, if I upload a rather provacative sig (I was thinking about Pikachu hiding in ZSS's cleavage :3) I'd rather not have a boatload of "BOOBIES ARE IMMORAL" private messages.

Top Bottom