• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tipman Up Air - Frame Trap/Combo Extender (WIP)

Kernel

Smash Rookie
NNID
xKernel
After soul searching and reflecting on my gameplay, I realized the error of my ways. As a Falcon main, I've put too much focus on true combos. This has crippled my use of Falcon's kit, which thrives off of mix-ups and unpredictability. While training in the mountains, I rediscovered the usefulness of the Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) and learned some new tricks along the way.

During my time of solitude, I took interest in old school SSBM Falcon and Ganon play. These players were carrying their opponents offstage in an up airing windmill of death. Tommy Tipman's application of Ganon's reverse up air impressed me, so much so that I knew I had to carry it over to SSB4.

Transitioning to Smash 4, I first realized the Tipman hitbox was active as Falcon's leg became parallel to the stage. After much experimentation, I perfected the use of Falcon's Tipman up air. I was intrigued most by its semi-spiking, horizontal trajectory. Not only can this attack be used for offstage-play, but it can also be used as a frame trapping combo extender.

*All tests were done in training mode on a Sheik CPU

Down Throw to RAR Up Air: Timing is strict, but it registers as true if done fast enough. Short hop connects reliably from 20%-60%. Falcon seems to maintain frame advantage after the up air, which allows for quick followups. Opponents DI'ing away can actually help, as it allows the tip of Falcon's toe to connect.

RAR Back Air to Falling Up Air: Strong mix-up out of down throw. Can be true, especially when done out of a dash grab. Falling Tipman up air sometimes registers as true, but can also act as a frame trap. It can catch jumps, attacks, and you can punish airdodges on landing.

Here's what it looks like.

Let me know what you think. I hope I did this correctly.

SpikeOnly

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkSpike96
There's long time i come on this website to learn moves / combos, I've just registered to thank you for this tuto. I main Falcon for monthes now and those tech will increase his movepool as hell :shades:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Sadly the training mode combo counter is broken and registers combo that are escapable.

If you want to test true combos the only way is to have someone holding the controller and trying jumping out or airdodging out.

Anyway even without the true combo aspect of it, tipman Uair is a very good move. It comes out before the knee and sends people horizontally so it's definitely a tool that every Falcon should use and your video shows that very well.

Keep up the good work.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I've been labbing a lot with this move, and RARing up air in general. There are some VERY interesting findings I've come across, but I'm not quite ready to share them yet. There will be a big info dump on all this at some point in the future, but you're definitely on to something with the tipman up air. It's very underused.

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
I've been labbing a lot with this move, and RARing up air in general. There are some VERY interesting findings I've come across, but I'm not quite ready to share them yet. There will be a big info dump on all this at some point in the future, but you're definitely on to something with the tipman up air. It's very underused.
Awe COME AWN Gawain you can't leave us in the dark like that!

Anyway, I've also been testing this out and I think if you can do this consistently it's an extremely good tool to use. Not only that, but it looks absolutely manly when you do it. I just wish that the horizontal hitbox was as easy to hit as Ganons. Other than that, I have a feeling that this will catch the eye of some big name players and we'll see how well other top players do against this...

Yangguizi

Smash Cadet
That looks really tight. I have never really thought to use the reverse up air like that. I typically use it to approach characters who are extending hitboxes down while in the air. Like links down air, or even a lot of meteors.
Awesome video man.

Top Bottom