• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
IGN has officially lost the respect of everyone who has a brain.

Gave Mario and Luigi Paper Jam a 5.7 out of 10 for no good reason...and a 30-40 second video review. Really IGN...just...really?
Paper Jam for me is honestly little more than a host of missed opportunities with dull dialogue, dull locations, dull enemies and a generic story with tedious moments like the Papercraft battles and the Toad Hunts.
The idea should definitely be revisited at some point because so many improvements can be made.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
Paper Jam for me is honestly little more than a host of missed opportunities with dull dialogue, dull locations, dull enemies and a generic story with tedious moments like the Papercraft battles and the Toad Hunts.
The idea should definitely be revisited at some point because so many improvements can be made.
This is basically my view on the game.

Plus, it's too Sticker Star based.
Even as it's own game, Sticker Star was just bad.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Just remember the 7.8 of ORAS because the famous "Too much water"...

Now I don't personally played the game yet but a 5.7 seems to me a little to low for being a Mario & Luigi game, which they're always known for being pretty good games.
Plus, it's too Sticker Star based.
Even as it's own game, Sticker Star was just bad.
I actually enjoyed Sticker Star. Yes as a Paper Mario series game was just bad, but as a title of it's own was at least decent, not one of the best Mario's games out there but pretty enjoyable imo.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
See...atleast you had valid reasons that didn't last less then 45 seconds

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I pretty much said the same thing in the comments for the review and the reviewer responded and said he actually agreed with me.
Ah...but seriously though, 30 seconds(still better than anything from GameSpot)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sorry, but...
Not joking one bit
*backs away slowly*

If you think the level 30 ones are expensive, wait until you see the level 50 Skells...

If you've been planting all the FrontierNav probes you can access, and turned a few of them (mainly the ones with A rank revenue, and/or sightseeing areas) into research probes, and also keep knocking off missions at the mission control centre outside the barracks and around the city, you shouldn't be having many money-related issues.
Yeah, i've been planting Research Probes (particular in areas that I can possibly get a chain) and am trying to do mission, but a lot of them are gather mission, so I just accept them and have them so when I am collecting mission, those are done on the side while I do another more fun/important mission

:135:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
*backs away slowly*

Yeah, i've been planting Research Probes (particular in areas that I can possibly get a chain) and am trying to do mission, but a lot of them are gather mission, so I just accept them and have them so when I am collecting mission, those are done on the side while I do another more fun/important mission

I'm shocked you even decided to take a look at the spoiler.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm a big fan of the Mario & Luigi series, Superstar Saga is one of my favourite games of all time, but I feel they've dropped the ball recently. I didn't play Bowser's Inside Story, so I can't comment on that (though I've heard nothing but good things for it), but I have played Dream Team Bros and I have to say I wasn't impressed. It just doesn't have any of the charm and wit I'd grown to love, nothing about it really felt especially creative or exciting. The puzzles were simplistic and repetitive, the powers were just variations on "make Luigi bigger / smaller / rounder / multiplied", only a handful of the enemies and bosses were in any way memorable and the dialogue was so-so at best. The Mario & Luigi games were renowned games for their clever dialogue, engaging storylines, absurd sense of humour and over-the-top foes. Dream Team Bros had some of those things, but without any of the spit and polish I'd expect. It's not a bad game, it's decent enough for what it is, it's just not a good game either. It's got nothing to distinguish it from the other titles in its sub-series.

Paper Jam seems to be more of the same, sad to say, though I can't say I'm too disappointed after Sticker Star turned out to be a Paper Mario game without anything that made the Paper Mario games great. I guess I'll just stick to the old reliables until Nintendo is willing to take more creative risks.

LevinViolin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainLinebeck
3DS FC
4038-6039-4160
I'm a big fan of the Mario & Luigi series, Superstar Saga is one of my favourite games of all time, but I feel they've dropped the ball recently. I didn't play Bowser's Inside Story, so I can't comment on that (though I've heard nothing but good things for it), but I have played Dream Team Bros and I have to say I wasn't impressed. It just doesn't have any of the charm and wit I'd grown to love, nothing about it really felt especially creative or exciting. The puzzles were simplistic and repetitive, the powers were just variations on "make Luigi bigger / smaller / rounder / multiplied", only a handful of the enemies and bosses were in any way memorable and the dialogue was so-so at best. The Mario & Luigi games were renowned games for their clever dialogue, engaging storylines, absurd sense of humour and over-the-top foes. Dream Team Bros had some of those things, but without any of the spit and polish I'd expect. It's not a bad game, it's decent enough for what it is, it's just not a good game either. It's got nothing to distinguish it from the other titles in its sub-series.

Paper Jam seems to be more of the same, sad to say, though I can't say I'm too disappointed after Sticker Star turned out to be a Paper Mario game without anything that made the Paper Mario games great. I guess I'll just stick to the old reliables until Nintendo is willing to take more creative risks.
This basically mirrors the thoughts of one of my friends. Super Star Saga is in his top 3 games, and he's played every single M&L game. He had the exact same feelings towards Dream Team after completing it. He's usually optimistic about the potential of upcoming games, but he sounded so genuinely disappointed by Sticker Star when he told me about it. It really sucks to hear that Paper Jam also seems to be following the curse of the latest "Mario RPGs." That game looked like it was really creative and might've been the breath of fresh air that both series desperately needed.

On the topic of IGN's reviews, I feel the need to at least play devil's advocate for "7.8/10 too much water." I dislike IGN's reviews just as much as the next guy, but if you actually read the OR/AS review you can see that the "Too much water" bullet point in the recap section was actually attributed to the fact that there were so many water HMs required for progression. The large amount of water HMs is a criticism I have personally seen everywhere and not just on IGN. Just something to think about.

Still hate their actual reviews though, or pretty much any numerical based review of anything.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Why blame Nintendo instead of Intelligent Games?
At least you guys have the offer. Hell, we still don't even have the release date here in Australia.

What can I say? I'm a very curious person.

I see...but now you know an unfortunate fate that occured

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
So I'm guessing paper jam didn't get very good reception? What a shame, the paper mario and mario and luigi series are probably two of my favourite game series of all time. I never played dream team or sticker star though I've played all of the other games. Bowser's inside story and the thousand year door are some of my favourite games.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Still don't 100% believe you but what ever.

Watch the movie for proof...whether in theaters or by bootleg idc, watch it.
Miyamoto's intervention is the reason Sticker Star is the way it is.

I don't doubt something similar happened to Paper Jam.
But that was only him out of many more Nintendo bigheads(including Reggie and Iwata...rip to him still)

Nah

Smash Champion
....There's a question that's kind of been sitting around in my head for the past few days: How does one get good at Smash 4?

Now you're probably wondering why I'm asking this question, and such a common one at that, in this thread of all places and not the Robin Q&A or the competitive section's Q&A or something. I'm asking here because, besides the fact that a lot of you have played me before and so are familiar with me and my play, compared to the Robin Q&A more people will see this post and therefore are more likely to respond, and in the competitive Q&A thread I'm afraid people will just see the initial question and not read the rest of the post, and then just give the typical answers to this question, which generally consists of "go to tournaments and get bodied", "watch high-level play", "analyze your replays", "go lab stuff", "practice [insert thing here]". I'm not interested in hearing all that very non-specific, non-detailed advice be repeated to me.

Because the thing is, none of that matters if you don't actually know how to do any of that. Practice and all that doesn't help if you practice incorrectly, y'know? And that's my real question: how exactly are you supposed to do those things in a way that actually yields results? How exactly are you supposed to "lab", how exactly are you supposed to practice, say, spacing or something, so that it actually shows in battle? What exactly are you supposed to look for in your replays/footage of high-level matches; how do you identify those things and more importantly, how do you incorporate those things into your own gameplay? How do you know you're doing it all right? I'm not sure if I even know how to learn. Keep in mind that I don't have anyone to play with regularly locally. And I still maintain the possibility exists that I simply may not be cut out for this and should just.....give up.

man idek if this is making any ****ing sense

btw Raziek Raziek if this really is not the place for this let us know so people can PM me instead or something.

Can someone scrunch this up to fit a premium avatar?
What exactly are the maximum dimensions for premium users' avatars?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So I've been playing New Mystery of the Emblem lately, and it's pretty good! Which makes the fact that it wasn't localized all the more sad.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
Quick made a few different ones since I'm not entirely sure how the Smashboards avatar thingy is going to react to it, but try these and see if either looks any better:

The third one fits. But would you mind adding more of the sky above the top of the tower without removing the bottom part of the image?

Nah

Smash Champion
The third one fits. But would you mind adding more of the sky above the top of the tower without removing the bottom part of the image?
I'm not sure if that'll really work or not though. 150px is the max width for avatars here, so making it 150px forces it to be ~260px in height if you wanna keep the sky. It may compensate for that in the postbit by chopping off some of the bottom. Cutting out some of the sky is what I did before to make it 150x210. Then there's the 2nd one in my previous post, which keeps the sky and is at 210px in height, but that forces it to be ~120px in width. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
I'm not sure if that'll really work or not though. 150px is the max width for avatars here, so making it 150px forces it to be ~260px in height if you wanna keep the sky. It may compensate for that in the postbit by chopping off some of the bottom. Cutting out some of the sky is what I did before to make it 150x210. Then there's the 2nd one in my previous post, which keeps the sky and is at 210px in height, but that forces it to be ~120px in width. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maaaan, freakin' Smashboards.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Checking in randomly to say hi. Sorry I haven't been able to get on that much. I probably won't be able to play many matches this semester. :p

Well this is, :095:pected to say the least. All jokes aside, this marks the first Pokémon revealed for Pokken Tournament that I am honestly disappointed about. Finally a Gen 5 Pokémon gets added, and they give us the ghost chandelier? It's cool that they've chosen some off-the-beaten-path Pokémon, but this is just blah for me.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit nettled, but Gen 5 is my favorite generation of Pokémon, while Chandelure is one of my least favorite Pokémon. So it's equivalent to getting a pizza from your favorite pizza shop that has your least favorite toppings on it. :ohwell:
I'm already pleased with two pikachus and a sceptile.
I'd love to see Heracross get in, but I'd also be chill with the roster we already have. Can't wait to see gameplay footage of Chandelure; it seems like an excellent choice, even keeping in mind it is yet another Fire-Type. I suppose it's also worth mentioning that Chandelure is my sisters favorite Pokémon. She hasn't been keeping up with Pokken, but I'm sure she'll be pumped about this.

i really wish i wasn't garbage at smash
Don't be so hard on yourself! You can do it!

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
"You hadn't seen me in a few days...."

How is everyone doing?
Eevee's been announced as an Assist pokemon a while back, so did Sylveon.
I'm still honestly pretty bitter about Sylveon being an assist character. :shaker: :shaker: :shaker:

Sceptile and :245: soften the blow though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I just want Banned Frog and :181:.

The only Pokemon in need.

And maybe Scrafty

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
For Marvel and DC(also Ninja Turtles, but they're not owned by a comic book company), this is a great year for superheroes

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
READ THIS FIRST PART HERE PLEASE!!!!

Okay, so i was on the Chapter 10 final boss (I think) get super extra close to defeating. I lost all my team members and still had my Skell. However, there were just too many attacks coming at me and eventually I lost my Skell and was left on foot. Now, the most only had a little health left but I was on foot and thought I had no chance. but I stayed my ground .And surely enough, I defeated it, one foot, by myself.

I mean, holy ****! I was (am) just so happy and dumb founded by what and how this happened. I swear I literally pulled off a miracle.

For Marvel and DC(also Ninja Turtles, but they're not owned by a comic book company), this is a great year for superheroes
Marvel, yes. DC........ they really need to hit the drawing board.

Watch the movie for proof...whether in theaters or by bootleg idc, watch it.
???

Are we still talking about your life story or Star Wars? Cause if it is the latter, i've already scene the movie, so the spoiler didn't affect me.

....There's a question that's kind of been sitting around in my head for the past few days: How does one get good at Smash 4?

Now you're probably wondering why I'm asking this question, and such a common one at that, in this thread of all places and not the Robin Q&A or the competitive section's Q&A or something. I'm asking here because, besides the fact that a lot of you have played me before and so are familiar with me and my play, compared to the Robin Q&A more people will see this post and therefore are more likely to respond, and in the competitive Q&A thread I'm afraid people will just see the initial question and not read the rest of the post, and then just give the typical answers to this question, which generally consists of "go to tournaments and get bodied", "watch high-level play", "analyze your replays", "go lab stuff", "practice [insert thing here]". I'm not interested in hearing all that very non-specific, non-detailed advice be repeated to me.

Because the thing is, none of that matters if you don't actually know how to do any of that. Practice and all that doesn't help if you practice incorrectly, y'know? And that's my real question: how exactly are you supposed to do those things in a way that actually yields results? How exactly are you supposed to "lab", how exactly are you supposed to practice, say, spacing or something, so that it actually shows in battle? What exactly are you supposed to look for in your replays/footage of high-level matches; how do you identify those things and more importantly, how do you incorporate those things into your own gameplay? How do you know you're doing it all right? I'm not sure if I even know how to learn. Keep in mind that I don't have anyone to play with regularly locally. And I still maintain the possibility exists that I simply may not be cut out for this and should just.....give up.

man idek if this is making any ****ing sense

btw Raziek Raziek if this really is not the place for this let us know so people can PM me instead or something.

What exactly are the maximum dimensions for premium users' avatars?
I'm exactly the same.

I see these people do this amazing stuff and then others explaining how to do it but I'm still like 'how do you do it?!' Cause not matter how much I try, I can never achieve it (i.e. Extend Dash Dancing, perfect pivot etc) Also, I unfortunately do have the opportunity to verse people, watch competitive play etc. So that sucks.

I'll never be good at smash ;-;

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
So uh.

When did the durability stuff change on Thunder tome? Because that was new to me when I picked my girl back up recently.

Nah

Smash Champion
So uh.

When did the durability stuff change on Thunder tome? Because that was new to me when I picked my girl back up recently.
Durability's always been the same for Thunder, they haven't changed it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
READ THIS FIRST PART HERE PLEASE!!!!

Okay, so i was on the Chapter 10 final boss (I think) get super extra close to defeating. I lost all my team members and still had my Skell. However, there were just too many attacks coming at me and eventually I lost my Skell and was left on foot. Now, the most only had a little health left but I was on foot and thought I had no chance. but I stayed my ground .And surely enough, I defeated it, one foot, by myself.

I mean, holy ****! I was (am) just so happy and dumb founded by what and how this happened. I swear I literally pulled off a miracle.

Marvel, yes. DC........ they really need to hit the drawing board.

???

Are we still talking about your life story or Star Wars? Cause if it is the latter, i've already scene the movie, so the spoiler didn't affect me.

I'm exactly the same.

I see these people do this amazing stuff and then others explaining how to do it but I'm still like 'how do you do it?!' Cause not matter how much I try, I can never achieve it (i.e. Extend Dash Dancing, perfect pivot etc) Also, I unfortunately do have the opportunity to verse people, watch competitive play etc. So that sucks.

I'll never be good at smash ;-;

The latter and Suicide Squad is their only good looking movie this year...Wonder Woman does look great though.

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Wow Americans getting FE Fates already and then there's us British like 'when we getting dat preorder'

Top Bottom