• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
He does alot in the story in both routes, both he and Leo. They are the most active in the story when compared to the other siblings, so that could be a factor as to them topping the popularity poll.
Ooh, that sounds glorious. Can't wait~
Mcdonalds reference? Mcdonals reference.
It might be.
Ba da ba ba ba.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Back in 2004: "Done with Smashboards."
After Brawl: Done with Smash Bros.
After Smash 4: Done with Smash Bros.

Still here.

Still playing.

Still buying the DLC.

Still watching the streams.

Still giving the community money.

:046:
And we (including Sakurai) couldn't be happier :secretkpop:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Despite ZeRo possibly winning, at least he knows now that using top tier characters does not guarantee wins and Raz proved that to him.
Raz was saying that he doesn't think ZeRo knows how to fight Robin.

Might be why Nairo went with Robin at first.

/shrug

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Still think Nairo shouldn't have done what he did

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Nairo probably went nutty on the first set so that he and ZeRo could be on equal ground.

#SmashTheAnime

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
NAIRO JUST WENT ROBIN IN GRAND FINALS! WUUUUUUUUUUUT!!

Lol, free bracket reset, just friendlies, whatev :p
It's about time.

WTF Nario. Meta Knight?
It's about time.

ZERO HAS MADE THE GREATEST LOSER'S RUN IN THE HISTORY OF SM4SH'S COMPETITIVE HISTORY. BOTH HIM AND NAIRO WERE DOWN TO THEIR FINAL STOCKS!
It's about time.

This was the most well played of any tourney I've seen in ever. I've gotta hand it to both ZeRo and Nairo; they both blew my expectations. I expected them to, but even so, they both threw me the curveball. Also impressed with Ryuga, Rayquaza, ANTi, Vinnie, Andabago, and our very own Raziek. Good games, y'all. I look forward to the next big tourney.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Do you have friends who also play smash you could all carpool and travel to locals together or even if the tourney is like 1-3 hours away. It may help to check if anyone on the smashboards is close to you then maybe you could also meet up with them and go to tourneys?
none of my friends drive and i don't trust people on the internet for potentially risky IRL (as in me getting stranded somewhere) things

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
#KidIcarusXFireEmblem

Oh man, that would be interesting.
Imagine Palutena and Viridi continue to mock Chrom for not bring playable in Smash and Pittoo hating on Male Robin, while Pit learns how to read with and befreinds Fem!Robin.

Also, Pyhron(if still alive)and Owain together would be perfect

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Hong: I don't watch Smash anymore.

*watching Smash an hour later*

:037:

Back in 2004: "Done with Smashboards."
After Brawl: Done with Smash Bros.
After Smash 4: Done with Smash Bros.

Still here.

Still playing.

Still buying the DLC.

Still watching the streams.

Still giving the community money.

:046:

Always Relevant
He's just jealous he isn't winning :troll:

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
My group drove up there on Thursday and we had a good time in the car. At one of our stops we took a group photo to commemorate the occasion, and what better way to have a group photo then to do Jojo poses together. (at least a couple of us posed.) After we got settled in the hotel, we played some friendlies and chilled for a bit. Later in that evening, I invited Raziek to my hotel room and we got to play in person for a bit. Something about seeing his playstyle in person just made it look all the more impressive. He played a lot of my roommates and it seemed like everyone else was amazed and figured out where I learned some of my Robin tech from.

Friday morning I woke up, got cleaned up, and headed to my pools. The way the pools worked out Big House was bracket pools. Advance a certain number of matches and you make it out.

For the actual matches I can't remember a whole lot since I'm strictly going off my memory but either way;

Game 1, Dreamland

Fight a Meta Knight who knows some stuff. Good at playing aggressive and he starts leading the match. Lands several hits on me before I get just 1 or 2. He gets me by the ledge and hits me with a dash attack, knocks me upwards with a couple up airs, and then uses Shuttle Loop (Up B) The Up-B doesn't manage to kill me, but instead due to the Meta Knight going deep up in the air in combination of Whispy blowing wind, the Meta Knight fails to land on stage after the Up-B and SDs for his first stock. That changed the game up quite a bit and after some exchanges, I take the first game.

Game 2, Smashville

I keep the Meta Knight away with a quick Thunder and some Arcfire. He has trouble getting in and I start to notice he's playing way too aggressive. The match starts to go in my favor well after I take the first stock. Finish off the set by landing the Checkmate on him.

While Metaknight can be scary for Robin, I know the matchup kinda well since I've got a really good MK in my city.
Game 1, Dreamland.

Played a Pit who knows how to pressure me. Good at mixing his attack options up and keeping me from charging Thunder too much with his arrows. Also really caught me off guard with when he'd use his Side B. He played really solid, but started to show a habit of rolling a lot. The game gets really close with it being last hit, last stock, and he gets me off stage while shooting arrows at me. While drifting towards the stage I think to myself "He's more than likely going to try to attack me offstage" so I plan according to what I think he'll do. I go low use my 2nd jump but then fade just a little away and manage to avoid Pit's Dair, then counter spike him with Elwind on account that the Pithad fast falled right into my location and I take game 1.

Game 2 I don't remember a whole lot, but I do remember him being flustered and really unnerved about game 1. I take that game as well and close out the set.

Played against Vinnie, one of the best Shieks in the Smash 4 scene on stream.

To be honest, I don't remember these matches at all. I know I played on stream and got my butt handed to me, but from what I heard I played alright.

I'd like to find the link to the stream of when I played him, but that could take a while.

My last set. Game 1

Played a Ness on Battlefield. Did pretty well and things were pretty even all throughout the match. I screw up as far as a ledge option goes and I get stage spiked by the PK Thunder lightning bolt.

That puts me on edge and I eventually crack in game 2 where I do really unsafe things in attempts to try to win the game and make it to game 3.

It sounds like that Ness player did have some Robin practice, but even still it was more so my nerves really getting to me. I feel like I could have beaten him, but I just succumbed to the pressure and dropped it. It made me feel really bad since it was entirely my fault, but it's just something I have to work on.

Doubles happened as well later on that night. Game 1 my friend and I get wrecked by this double Villager team, which I never knew how disgusting that team is.

Our next couple of sets in losers were really fun. Did Robin and Link/Falcon and had some awesome sets. Did either some good combos or close games/sets. We had really nice team synergy and pulled off some great strings together and really put in work. It's somewhat of a shame that the doubles match we had on stream turned out to be a huge embarrassment of my teammate having controller malfunctions. Outside of that though, doubles was fun and I'm still happy I got to be on stream as much as I did, even if both times involved me getting wrecked.

Friday continues on and I play some friendlies with my roommates. I start to cheer up and we play this new format of special smash; Mega mode, Mega Mushrooms and Master Balls on, DK/Ganon only, Pirate Ship. We had a lot of fun with that and kept doing that as the weekend went.

I also got to have lunch with a couple of the Social thread members, Zaredriel and Chapter Serf.

Saturday happens and nothing too major happens outside of doing a bunch of doubles shenanigans between my teammate from yesterday against Zaredriel and his partner. It's funny because both me and my friend main Robin and Sonic respectively, while it's the same with Zaredriel and his partner ITT. We had fun doing teams, though sometimes Zaredriel and I would attack the wrong Sonic since we kept getting them mixed up a lot more than we should have. After some time we ended up doing Team Ganon dittos for apparently over two hours.
(We completely lost track of time and only found out about it via spectators mentioning it.)

I got a couple Robin buttons and this glass cup that someone drew FemRobin onto. The artist who did the cup is also a Robin player who recognized me from an earlier tournament, so that was cool and made me feel happy that I'm being recognized.

Sunday I mainly watched some of the top 32 bracket and played some friendlies. Learned that a good Marth who knows how Robin works is a lot scarier than what I gave credit for.

The weekend was an extremely good time. While I spent a whole lot of money, placed lower then what I would have liked and expected I could have, I had lots of fun. Got to meet Raziek (and have him beat me in Smash) in person, meet another member of the social thread (Meneil I think it was) and grow closer to some other robin players I know. I'm really happy to see a lot more Robins out there. Getting to challenge myself like this, meet new people, get closer to the people I don't get to meet with on a regular basis, and seeing all this love for Smash is what really makes me happy to play the game.

The Big House 5 is certainly going to be a Smash tournament I'll never forget.

tumblr_inline_navtwvxWu21sfvecc.jpg

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
My sister needed help so I completely missed Grand Finals aside from the last match. i heard that nairo used Robin which is awesome! According to his twitter though whenever he uses Robin he tends to make a lot of mistakes haha. Still I feel he used them because of what happened on his stream. He fought against Zero and did good against his diddy so he was completely downloaded on the second set. I feel he used Robin and MK today to avoid a repeat of the stream. That's just my guess though. Congrats to ZeRo and hopefully we see more Robin in the future.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Dogfish censor tricks Oshkosh veins JDownloader heath deli Lewisburg Jaymes Nairn jrotc brunt thin keying Jenks uh hi yghh

Decode this if you want to live

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Nah, that would REALLY not make people happy in our local group. Him sticking to Kirby would be good and would screw a lot of people up.
You're right. One Robin player (me) is already annoying for our group. Having two could force a couple of them into quitting Smash. After all, one of our friends did create a custom stage just for me.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Okay, UmbreonMageBrando UmbreonMageBrando , sorry for the delay but here we go. Note that I will only focus on your Robin since I only played your megaman for one match.

First off, you're pretty good. You have good fundamentals and you clearly understand the character at least to a decent degree. You also made some adaptations. For example, you started using elthunder more after the first match, especially since you weren't getting much mile out of arcthunder after the first match. You also started mixing up your recovery more, high and low, in response to my elwind spikes (although you were recovering high a bit too high after a while). So that was good.

I feel that the main reason that I was pulling head was because your "weaving" game (basically how you jump around in the neutral) was a bit limited. When you weaved, you usually restricted yourself to one action. You may jump or double jump backwards than charge thunder. Or you do a short hop fair. That, in it of itself is fine, but you need to do more and realize that Robin can do more attacks in a jump thanks to both his (using male pronouns since you use male Robin) floatiness and generous auto-cancels. For example, when I was playing you I got a lot of mileage just by doing rising fair to falling elthunder. I also did short fair, and using the auto-cancel, I jabbed afterwards even if I whiff (you sometimes did this). I then occasionally mixed it with nosferatu, nairs, rising fair to bair or falling nair/uair, etc. Even just empty jumping can be good. Mix it up basically.
If you want to see good weaving, you should check out the videos Raziek posted earlier about his matches with ZeRo and Shofu. Nairo also has a good weaving game, although you mainly see this on his streams.

Second thing I noticed is that you also didn't really platform pressure that much. I mean you used fair and uair but there's more you can do. For example, you can use nosferatu (probably the best use of nosferatu honestly) and nair, which can even catch a roll on the platform thanks to the second hit that goes behind Robin. Waiting a bit before going for the attack also works well. And although you may have one, I didn't really see any item play during our set. Gotta give them the book, the hard reads so to speak (I'm sorry for the pun).

In terms of the offstage game, you yourself commented on my elwind spikes. This of course means you should be trying to do that more as well. In fact, you didn't go off stage that much in my memory. In addition to elwind, nair is also a good gimping tool which I didn't really see you attempt either. Another thing that I did was shoot elthunder while you were offstage. To be clear, my goal with that is not to actually hit you with it. It's to force you to take an action such as expending your double jump or airdodge, putting you lower in respect to the stage. Both puts you in an unfavorable position, making it easier to edgeguard you and was actually one of the ways I set up for the elwind spikes.

Anyways, that's all for now. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So what exactly Happened with Nario and ZeRo match? I haven't watched it yet though i don't think I will be able to.

Also, I seems three Characters slots have been discovered!!!

100% serious, I think that one of those slots has to be Wolf's at the very most. I mean serious, their is just so much support around the character it's not funny, particular after how Sakurai said Roy and Lucas got into Smash. Serious, if Wolf gets back in, I will be very happy for all his fans (@NonSpecificGuy :) )

As for the other 2. Hm, I guess that they would be another VET and a New Comer. For the vet, I think Young Link. Who else? As for the the new comer..... Issac? I really don't know.

Anyway, I think that's all I have to say. Well, i should be getting ready, I am going on a boat trip next week. Hopeful it will be fun :)

:135:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
You're right. One Robin player (me) is already annoying for our group. Having two could force a couple of them into quitting Smash. After all, one of our friends did create a custom stage just for me.
Pretty sure I'll make them hate Pika after I overanalyze ESAM's stuff

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Damn, the comments on this article: http://smashboards.com/threads/zero-wins-smash-for-wii-u-at-the-big-house-5.419584/

Apparently Nairo either blew it , or deliberately lost, by playing Robin and Meta Knight against ZeRo's Sheik. And then there's good ol' :4sonic::4miibrawl: bestowing upon us the wisdom that Meta Knight might actually be a "decent pick" against Sheik, but Robin most certainly is not, regardless of your skill level. Guess he knows something we don't, eh? :4pacman:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Damn, the comments on this article: http://smashboards.com/threads/zero-wins-smash-for-wii-u-at-the-big-house-5.419584/

Apparently Nairo either blew it , or deliberately lost, by playing Robin and Meta Knight against ZeRo's Sheik. And then there's good ol' :4sonic::4miibrawl: bestowing upon us the wisdom that Meta Knight might actually be a "decent pick" against Sheik, but Robin most certainly is not, regardless of your skill level. Guess he knows something we don't, eh? :4pacman:
Should've used Pit and Pittoo atleast once each.
So what exactly Happened with Nario and ZeRo match? I haven't watched it yet though i don't think I will be able to.

Also, I seems three Characters slots have been discovered!!!

100% serious, I think that one of those slots has to be Wolf's at the very most. I mean serious, their is just so much support around the character it's not funny, particular after how Sakurai said Roy and Lucas got into Smash. Serious, if Wolf gets back in, I will be very happy for all his fans (@NonSpecificGuy :) )

As for the other 2. Hm, I guess that they would be another VET and a New Comer. For the vet, I think Young Link. Who else? As for the the new comer..... Issac? I really don't know.

Anyway, I think that's all I have to say. Well, i should be getting ready, I am going on a boat trip next week. Hopeful it will be fun :)

:135:
ZeRo won 6 games, and the first 3 Nairo blew because he wanted a fair game(NEVER GO EASY ON SOMEONE BETTER THAN YOU OR STUFF LIKE THAT). Naito used MK and Pink Fem!Robin...lost...still list with Zero Suit. TK Breezy and D1 were confused the whole first set, and thought he'd bring out Pit(since he does better against Shiek than Dark Pit does). In the end, Nairo lost(didn't choke this time I think)and screwed up BIG TIME

ARGHETH

Smash Lord

The thing is, ZeRo kind of destroyed his ZSS game 1. So, the current theory is a combination of wanting to fight ZeRo on even grounds, calming himself, and trying to get information on ZeRo without getting his ZSS downloaded.

Top Bottom