• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time to pay the piper! - Mr. Resetti for Smash

BZocky

Smash Ace

Welcome to the Mr. Resetti for Smash Support Thread!

To fans of the Animal Crossing franchise, Mr. Sonny Resetti is a mole in need of little introduction. First appearing in the 2001 N64 title Doubutsu no Mori, or Animal Forest, his primary job throughout most of the mainline series is to make sure the player saves their game before they reset the console, and will use some rather unorthodox methods in order to ensure they do so. While he starts out calm the first time you meet him, he has a notoriously short fuse and will quickly become angrier the more times you reset without saving. In the latest installment of the series however, he has been fired from this job (in reality due to the invention of autosaves) and instead runs the game's island rescue service from a helicopter.

resettikeychain.jpg resetti.gif resettiamiibo.jpg
Some examples of Resetti merchandise. Left:Keychain,Middle-Plush produced at the time of the first installment in the series,Right:Amiibo

Mr. Resetti has made many appearances in outside media surrounding the franchise, including but not limited to manga, plush, figures, amiibo, commercials, print ads, and on one occasion an animated film. His cameo appearances in series include Mario Kart, Super Mario Maker and Monster Hunter. He has clearly made a name for himself, becoming a staple villager in the series and a fan favorite among many due to his vibrant personality and, ahem, vibrant language.

Presence in the Smash Bros. Series

resettis.png

His presence in Smash Bros. has been seen since Melee, where he debuted as a trophy alongside KK Slider and Tom Nook as the very first Animal Crossing characters, or content in general, in the series history. The series would still be a year from it's western release date at the time of Melee's launch, so their source was accordingly listed as "Future Release". In Brawl, he would become the Animal Crossing series' first Assist Trophy, lecturing endlessly as he often does in his home series. If he was hit enough, he would explode in anger and damage surrounding fighters. He would have two trophies this time around, one where he's burrowing out of the ground and one where he's standing upright with his legs visible, and a sticker of the former. In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, he would be a Smash Tour item and once again appear as a trophy. In Ultimate, he appears as a Primary Spirit that can be summoned by combining specific spirits or by tapping his amiibo to the joycon.

Unique Moveset Potential

Mr. Resetti has plenty of unique moveset potential to pull from. His primary weapon of choice, of course, would be his trusty pickaxe. His anger would make for a perfect rage mechanic, charging it over time to unleash it on his unfortunate foes. Shovels could also be incorporated into his arsenal. Above is a video showcasing a perfect moveset for Resetti.

Outside Media

Coming Soon...?

Resetti Supporters

BZocky
UserKev
Otoad64
Doc Monocle

Attachments

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I am not an Animal Crossing player currently, but I think Mr. Resetti would be much fun.
I totally support. Mr. Resetti is slept on and could be amazing. I love the potential he has.
Perhaps he is "slept on." I would not know, but just imagine the humor of having Cranky and Resetti in the same game! If there were a smash taunt dialogue involving the two of them, the result would be unforgettable!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I am not an Animal Crossing player currently, but I think Mr. Resetti would be much fun.

Perhaps he is "slept on." I would not know, but just imagine the humor of having Cranky and Resetti in the same game! If there were a smash taunt dialogue involving the two of them, the result would be unforgettable!
I'm also not an AC player, but the game at least seems interesting from a glance stand point. Would love a teleport like dig lock on hit attack from Mr. Resetti. It doesn't take an insane amount of imagination to see how Resetti would work. His potential is hidden in plain sight.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I'm also not an AC player, but the game at least seems interesting from a glance stand point. Would love a teleport like dig lock on hit attack from Mr. Resetti. It doesn't take an insane amount of imagination to see how Resetti would work. His potential is hidden in plain sight.
... and the explosion when he becomes angry... They simply should not ignore that!

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Mr. Resetti's competition is most likely Tom Nook, but it's never late to build support for the furious.
I forgot about that. Tom Nook I think is more popular. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have a sneaking suspiscion that Mr. Resetti is not going anywhere until Tom Nook does. It would take the most ingenious efforts to convince a populace that he should be next. He might, to that end, have some exciting gimmicks and unique set of mechanics and moves.
There should be some clever way that his burrowing is implemented, and he perhaps could have some way of having an unusual, fourth-wall-aware influence in matches.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I forgot about that. Tom Nook I think is more popular. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have a sneaking suspiscion that Mr. Resetti is not going anywhere until Tom Nook does. It would take the most ingenious efforts to convince a populace that he should be next. He might, to that end, have some exciting gimmicks and unique set of mechanics and moves.
There should be some clever way that his burrowing is implemented, and he perhaps could have some way of having an unusual, fourth-wall-aware influence in matches.
I actually thought of this. An exact, Mr. Resetti will inspire from some borrowing, but he will make them fresh again with the compliment of his design. I think Mr. Resetti can get away with typical gimmicks since his aesthetic is simple that still manages to be fun. I mean, at the most he should borrow the digging/ground travel gimmick. They'd seem more iconic to him and anonymous. Maybe Resetti will be the edge guard breaker?

I personally would like Resetti to have a drill gimmick as his special B that lets him temporary seconds drill into the stage as if he's checking the soil. To balance it, he'd be an opened target.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
personally would like Resetti to have a drill gimmick as his special B that lets him temporary seconds drill into the stage as if he's checking the soil. To balance it, he'd be an opened target.
I could see it as a 'stance' type move as well. While he is in the ground, he has not only the temporary option of travelling through the stage floor intangibly, but also that of ambushing the opponent from below with his pickaxe. He could also have alternate taunts that resemble his assist trophy ramblings while he is in the ground.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I could see it as a 'stance' type move as well. While he is in the ground, he has not only the temporary option of travelling through the stage floor intangibly, but also that of ambushing the opponent from below with his pickaxe. He could also have alternate taunts that resemble his assist trophy ramblings while he is in the ground.
It's one thing to note Mr. Resetti won't need any typical projectiles, otherwise he'd seem seriously broken. The taunts are a no brainer. Now for his Smash attacks is where I'm starting to get excited. I can't exactly describe them, but I can see them being deliciously explosive.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
It's one thing to note Mr. Resetti won't need any typical projectiles, otherwise he'd seem seriously broken. The taunts are a no brainer. Now for his Smash attacks is where I'm starting to get excited. I can't exactly describe them, but I can see them being deliciously explosive.
Try these:

Fsmash- While charging, Resetti runs (slowly due to his short legs), with his pickaxe overhead. The attack terminates with him falling forward and cutting downward with the pickaxe. The startup and endlag are atrocious for a light character, but his small frame, the disjointed hitbox of his pickaxe, and the damage-racking, shield-wearing behavior, and launch power of the attack make it a nightmare for small and large enemies alike.

Dsmash- Mr. Resetti faces the screen, slowly moving his head, as he appears to be chattering with his eyes closed during the charge. Upon release of B, He suddenly flails his arms and opens his eyes and mouth widely, accompanied by a powerful explosion.

Usmash: His head enlarges as he jumps high and headbutts vertically with his hard hat.

UserKev

Smash Champion
From the readings of Mr. Resetti's appearances across Smash Bros. Mr. Resetti as an assist Trophy is rather absent in Ultimate. I wonder if Sakurai is starting to consider the guy.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
From the readings of Mr. Resetti's appearances across Smash Bros. Mr. Resetti as an assist Trophy is rather absent in Ultimate. I wonder if Sakurai is starting to consider the guy.
All he needs is a bit of that forward momentum. Then he has a chance... By the way, BZocky BZocky , I forgot to mention that I would like to be on the support list!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well, Mr. Resetti's role may be unacceptable in AC these days from recent memory, but shouldn't mean he can't see a playable debut in an otherwise different IP. Resetti is by far too old of a veteran not to be worthy.

Top Bottom