• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

time or stock?

royandmarth

Smash Cadet
to me, stock and time are the same. When using stock, unless you are doing one on one, people are going to be too busy to look at the camper. Time is the same thing. Everybody knows the good thing about stock but there is a bright side for time also. If there is a camper, that person won't gain anny points either

ycz12

Smash Ace
The Immortal Flame said:
Yes, but there is usually a low stock number in tournaments correct? So the fight shouldn't be dragged out, anyway. Besides, in stock, no one will camp out for any long period of time, because players understand that the game won't get anywhere until kills are made. If this is not the case, than why do you people have a problem with time limits in general? Whether you are playing a regular timed match or timed stock, the time limit can still be used to the advantage of the player is ahead in the count. If time serves as a motivation to stay in the fray and keep up the offensive like you say, then there shouldn't be any problem with timed matches with a balanced scoring system.
I hate to say this, but I'm afraid your lack of tournament experience is starting to show. I myself have never gone to a formal tournament, so I may seem hypocritical, but hear me out first.

If you've ever read David Sirlin's articles on The Art of War and Playing to Win, you'll be familiar with his amazing, yet incredibly boring, triumph in the East Coast Championships 4 of Street Fighter Alpha 2. It involved what he describes as a brick wall: a single repetitive strategy that defies the opponents every attempt to overcome it. By repeating Rose's low strong repeatedly against Chun-Li, he was able to stall out every match and eventually win in the final match of the final set. My point here is that, YES, professionals will camp out for long periods of time if that's the cost of winning. They know that the game won't get anywhere without kills, but that may be their plan.

Secondly, if you've played any kind of competitive chess before, you will know that the person who is leading in material (stock, or points) will generally play on the defensive, while the trailing player will go for the quick checkmate. Playing defensive is advantageous and easier, so that's what people will do. A player leading in points in a time match will stall or play defensively.

Actually, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. I support your idea for a balanced time mode, although I have a proposition of my own.

It would be based on stock mode with a time limit, although this would not be any normal time limit. No, it would start at the beginning of the match, count downward, and reset anytime somebody was killed or SDed. If the timer ever reached 0, the game would end in a tie. It's not a very well-developed idea and it definitely needs some work, but hopefully you get the general idea.

Or how about time mode with a SD limit? If a player SDed too many times in a match, they would automatically lose. Or something like that.

Don't you just hate it when you have this awesome idea in your head, but when you actually think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever?

Zack353

Smash Ace
Time when playing for fun, I play stock when I'm playing seriously though.

airball

Smash Apprentice
Trying to find out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Cr
Zander805 said:
True measure of skill for 1v1:

1 Stock

This always leads to the most intense smashing.
The only thing about one stock is that anything can decide the winner. It could be skill that wins it, or it could be a really bad suicide that doesn't reflect the skill of either person. That's why 1 stock is never played.

yoshifu

Smash Rookie
stock, cause if you run from me, i will catch you and rip you limb from limb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yoshi: :smiliegor :uzi: :bigrocket :rocket: :burst:

emubreath

Smash Journeyman
I like stock better than time. the only reason why they use timed and stock for tournaments is to stop people like me who run away, from winning.

royandmarth

Smash Cadet
wow, it's been since 2005 when i first started this. Well, i haven't on these boards since last year, it's sure changed. Welp, what do you newcomers think?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
time is nice if you're playing with inexperienced people. That way no one can ever be out of the match. And you get N solid minutes of 4 player smashing.
For skill, it's all about the stock though.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
I use time when I'm practicing. And of course stock for fun and serious games. If you want to see how much better you are against somone. Play time for about 10 minutes. and see kill/fall ratios.

Smash Master
I prefer stock simply because time has a greater propensity to end in sudden death, and sudden death creates a situation where any noob can beat any Ken based on some move connecting one time. Stock does not often end in sudden death. I like stock w/ time for tournaments because I don't like the game to turn into a test of patience. Eventually, after 20 minutes of playing the dominant strategy of projectile camping, somebody would lose their patience, come after the opponent, and lose. I don't think matches should be decided based on each player's level of attrition or the amount of coffee they have ingested.

mistassailant5

Smash Rookie
Stock. It is much better than timed because it is useally... First minute Marth kills Peach, rest of match Marth runs. That always happens.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Stock. You can run, but you can never escape...
Time is just get one KO and run/camp the rest of the game.

royandmarth

Smash Cadet
hey, i don't know if anyone was on these boards 2 years ago, but did they use to have a post limit of 99, because it was sorta odd that it did not go any higher

Grey Fox

Smash Journeyman
Correct, it's about killing and not dying.QUOTED
Lol

Oh yeah i was joking about playing time(obviously oh yea theres too many noobs around these days) evryone plays stocks TIMED STOCKS!

~rh

Smash Lord
One lucky KO and runaway =money robbed in a time match = fail :(

psicicle

Smash Ace
Hah they are both fair, it's not like one player somehow has an advantage (besides skill) in time! Both players are playing the match with the same conditions, therefore it is fair. You just have to adopt a different strategy.

Also, it timed stock, the person with a greater percent will lose even if the stock is even.

Top Bottom