• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time in Matches

Uffe

Smash Hero
Time was never an issue for me in previous Smash games. It wasn't really an issue for me at the start of Smash 3DS, either. But lately, I've been in many predicaments that led most of my matches, and I'm sure plenty of other players' matches, to being timed out. The first time I've had this issue was against a really patient Duck Hunt. He would run at one end of the stage, spam his projectile, and move in to get some extra damage on me. Another time was against Yoshi who would move in by tossing eggs, and then get some damage in, then retreat. This one wasn't as campy. But other Yoshi's I've played ended up doing similarly the same thing. Just two days ago, that's all my matches consisted of, being timed out or almost timed out. Then just today, I played against a Lucario on Final Destination. That match didn't go well for me. I ended up taking him to Brinstar, not really giving him much of a place to retreat, won, and then the final match was just hit and runs. It took four minutes for him to kill me because his method of attack was to shoot projectile, thus most of it getting absorbed by my PSI Magnet, and trying to kill me with aerials or smashes. He won by timing me out.

I play a crappy Ness. It took this guy, who I think does pretty good as a player, 4 minutes to make me lose a stock, thus leaving him with a minute left to take me out, which again, didn't happen. We obviously can't tell others how to play their mains or secondaries, but we can add 3 more minutes to the matches. Why is it 5 minutes, anyway? Because For Glory says so?

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I've personally come to look at For Glory as its own special game mode.

There is often just enough lag that fast rush down characters have their approach and follow up options completely broken. Even punishing excessive rollers is quite frustrating, where in a local match its a little more reasonable to deal with because the latency is less.

So you get the players that find the 'safe' moves. Projectile campers, Little Mac's (who I find really hard to avoid online, but local matches he's almost laughably predictable), Zero Suit Samus that does Stun Gun/F-smash/U-Smash almost exclusively because it's really hard to punish whiffs with most characters.

So your best solution to deal with this on For Glory mode is to learn to play a rush down or mix up character you can handle well in the lag. Take it with a grain of salt, you're likely to lose... a lot... at first as you get use to psyching out campers to hit them without getting hit. Fox and Mario are decent characters to at least get use to approaching with because they have reflects. Greninja may be a good fit for you specifically because he has such a good spacing game with his shuriken, but frog maneuvers faster than Ness, which will catch people off guard in online more then it would locally.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I was playing this in a ladder on NintendoDojo, not For Glory. Sorry for the confusion. I remember in Brawl, players had 3 stocks and 8 minutes. Those matches usually ended up being 3 to 5 minutes, which is strange when you think about it. Some matches went on for longer, really depending on who the characters were fighting. I have no issue with 2 stocks in this game. It's not something I personally like, but it works. It's just that 5 minutes doesn't feel like it works. Get Ness off a stage with Rosaluma, the matches may end quickly. Get Little Mac off stage with some counterpick character, that match may end quickly as well. It really does seem like matches last longer, especially with higher ceilings and blast zones that are at a further distance. Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I play a crappy Ness. It took this guy, who I think does pretty good as a player, 4 minutes to make me lose a stock, thus leaving him with a minute left to take me out, which again, didn't happen. We obviously can't tell others how to play their mains or secondaries, but we can add 3 more minutes to the matches. Why is it 5 minutes, anyway? Because For Glory says so?
Consider your own argument for yourself:
Why add 3 minutes to the matches? Because you say so?

If you played a 2-stock, 3-minute match as agreed upon by the rules as outlined on the site then why are you posting a complaint here? Talk to someone who posts the rules on that site about it, maybe that would help.
Personally, I read through the rules on that site recently and sent the staff member a PM detailing the problems with the rules. Maybe this will help, maybe not, but it's worth passing along.
And, as always, I'd just suggest trying a different strategy/character/something.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
As far as I can tell the 2 stock 5 minute format is almost solely because that's what people are used to from playing For Glory. There's a bit of a debate over whether that or the old 3 stock 8 minute Brawl standard is better. I personally don't have much of a stake in it either way so the whole thing is whatever to me.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Consider your own argument for yourself:
Why add 3 minutes to the matches? Because you say so?

If you played a 2-stock, 3-minute match as agreed upon by the rules as outlined on the site then why are you posting a complaint here? Talk to someone who posts the rules on that site about it, maybe that would help.
Personally, I read through the rules on that site recently and sent the staff member a PM detailing the problems with the rules. Maybe this will help, maybe not, but it's worth passing along.
And, as always, I'd just suggest trying a different strategy/character/something.
Has nothing to do with because I say so. I'm sharing my thoughts on the matter, and there have been others on NintendoDojo who made similar complaints. I figured this would be universal within the community considering some of those players most likely have joined this site. Perhaps I should use a different character.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Has nothing to do with because I say so. I'm sharing my thoughts on the matter, and there have been others on NintendoDojo who made similar complaints. I figured this would be universal within the community considering some of those players most likely have joined this site. Perhaps I should use a different character.
Well, if you are asking why they have it set at 5 minutes and then answer it with "because For Glory says so?" then proceed to say we can add 3 minutes it just leads to your question again "why add 3 minutes? Because you say so?". If you say so, then I say so, and everyone just says so then we have no standard to which to agree to.
So, yeah, probably because For Glory "says so", that is, it is setting a Standard. Maybe you don't agree with it, and you don't have to, I was just trying to help answer your question why it is so.

Additionally, what did you think of my suggestion of simply changing your strategy/character/whatever instead of suggesting a change in Standard?

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Vectoring and Huge Blastzones are mostly the main reasons why most matches seem to take longer than usual. In fact, those are my two biggest problems with Smash 4. 3 stock 8 minutes can work, but 2 stock 6 minutes is better IMO.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, if you are asking why they have it set at 5 minutes and then answer it with "because For Glory says so?" then proceed to say we can add 3 minutes it just leads to your question again "why add 3 minutes? Because you say so?". If you say so, then I say so, and everyone just says so then we have no standard to which to agree to.
So, yeah, probably because For Glory "says so", that is, it is setting a Standard. Maybe you don't agree with it, and you don't have to, I was just trying to help answer your question why it is so.

Additionally, what did you think of my suggestion of simply changing your strategy/character/whatever instead of suggesting a change in Standard?
I'm trying different strategies. There is only so much you can do with a character. I don't really plan on switching my main since he feels natural to me, despite my efforts in trying to win a set. I'd say that choosing a stage that is enclosed does better for me because it doesn't give my opponents much of an opportunity to retreat as they'd like to, but at the same time, it could be bad for me as well. And with the Omega stages, it's all just Final Destination with flavor, and those are mostly the stages chosen. People ban Jungle Japes or Brinstar, sometimes Prism Tower. I may be forced to use a character that spams projectile.

Top Bottom