• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilts?

Ind15

Smash Rookie
Hey, everybody.

I'm new to Smashboards and recently picked up Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U. Unlike the previous games, I've actually decided to learn how to play strategically and I need some help with performing tilt attacks. Whenever I try to execute a tilt, it always turns into a smash. I just can't seem to tilt the analog stick the proper way to get the attack out. I've heard you don't really need to tilt the analog stick, just push it in a direction before inputting the attack button. However, no matter which method I try I always end up doing a smash and whenever I purposefully go out of my way to execute a tilt it always takes too long for me to get the execution just right and by then my opponent has taken advantage of my control fumbling. Any tips?

Thanks in advanced!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hey, everybody.

I'm new to Smashboards and recently picked up Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U. Unlike the previous games, I've actually decided to learn how to play strategically and I need some help with performing tilt attacks. Whenever I try to execute a tilt, it always turns into a smash. I just can't seem to tilt the analog stick the proper way to get the attack out. I've heard you don't really need to tilt the analog stick, just push it in a direction before inputting the attack button. However, no matter which method I try I always end up doing a smash and whenever I purposefully go out of my way to execute a tilt it always takes too long for me to get the execution just right and by then my opponent has taken advantage of my control fumbling. Any tips?

Thanks in advanced!
Sound like you are hitting the attack button to early when you push it in a direction, that's why you are getting a smash attack. You can do the tilts in the way you described above, although I think that tilting it slightly instead is easier. Really though, it comes down to practicing. When I couldn't do tilts, a lot of the advice was to just practice doing tilts against a low level cpu in training, and eventually in Smash mode.

Although the easy way out is to set the C-Stick to tilts, instead of smash attacks.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
i also am having the same dilemma. i would love to find a step by step training, solution for this problem and start working on better combos and improving play.

but im smelly.

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
It's just practice. Take it slow, make it muscle memory. believe me, I played smash for a while before I even new what tilts were. practice just doing tilts, a lot. Then, try and kill a high level cpu with tilts only. you might not win, but it helps to get the technique down and gives you a better understanding of when to use them.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
Like the others have said, there's not really an easy way out other than setting C-Stick to tilts. You're just going to have to practice until you feel the difference.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To perform a tilt, do NOT push the stick all the way down. Just push it slightly in the direction you want. That should do it. And yeah, keep practising.

elmuchogrumpy

Smash Rookie
I personally find it easier to do tilt attacks when I don't dash as much and just walk around the stage. It might help you get used to the feeling.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
well i have been practicing! im still my not good at tilts but adleast i know how to do them know!
(im going the FalKoopa and Jebus244 route) Thanks guys for all the info!

Last edited:

Ind15

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the responses! I tried to set the C stick to tilts before, but couldn't find the option. Turns out tilts are listed as "attacks" in the options menu; easily resolved! Still, is it worth learning tilts the "hard way"?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thanks for all the responses! I tried to set the C stick to tilts before, but couldn't find the option. Turns out tilts are listed as "attacks" in the options menu; easily resolved! Still, is it worth learning tilts the "hard way"?
I think setting the C-stick to Smashes is better, They are the primary way to land KOs, so being quickly able to throw out a Smash is very useful.

Top Bottom