• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt to Walk, Smash to Run...but what are the numbers?

Ya Dad

Smash Apprentice
In any official Smash title, you tilt the joystick to walk. If you tilt slowly enough, you can even touch the joystick to the plastic boundary of the controller and you will still walk, albeit at a faster pace. If you jam the joystick fast enough from the neutral position (or any position far enough away from the boundary), you enter into a run. That being said, it's not analog distance traveled that dictates when you walk and when you run, but rather the speed at which the analog travels.

So my question is this: Is there any program out there I can use to see the code behind what analog speed constitutes a walk vs. entering into a run?

Kadano

Magical Express
That being said, it's not analog distance traveled that dictates when you walk and when you run, but rather the speed at which the analog travels.
No, it’s both. You can move the control stick to a certain value from neutral within one frame and walk immediately. If you keep the control stick outside of the dead zone in the same direction for a few frames (I guess more or less 5), the dash input will be disabled so you can no longer transition to a dash while you stay in the same direction zone.

So my question is this: Is there any program out there I can use to see the code behind what analog speed constitutes a walk vs. entering into a run?
Debug-Dolphin, Melee ISO and lots of time and effort to find and understand the relevant code within Start.dol.

Last edited:

Ya Dad

Smash Apprentice
Just tested it in Melee, thanks for the verification. Your info really helps out a lot.

Top Bottom