• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt Tactics

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
I personally have trouble initiating tilts. The up-tilt is the worst, as I always end up tap jumping (I'd turn it off but then I can't hydroplane with Squirtle). Somehow, if I try to do a quick tilt, I usuallye nd up doing a smash, and this is really holding my game back.

My question is: How do you get a tilt off quickly? I can do it by holding forward for a bit before pressing A, or holding down for a bit before pressing A, but I can't go from a standstill to a utilt, ftilt, or dtilt. I have to crouching first, or already holding the direction. Help is appreciated.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
I dont own the game so I havn't consciously checked that this still works, but when I playe I dont remember noticing that it doesn't work so...
since melee, what I've done is when going for a tilt, dont push the stick until it taps the side te ring that its in. kind of hold it to the side but hovering between neutral and fully pushed.
it takes a little practice but it does work for up airs without a second jump, up tilts, or pretty much any tilt.

Break

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that can really help you is practice, get some more finger dexterity. Go into training, tilt the stick push the button.

There is an alternate way to tilt attack though. If you hold a direction and push the c-stick in the same direction you will tilt attack rather than smash. However, I don't see that helping you much as tilting the control stick seems to be what's causing you problems.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
just practice tilting the joystick quickly but not completely in the direction you want to tilt

OR program the c-stick to be your tilt (I heard you can do this)

Break

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you can set the c-stick to be tilt. Seems silly though, tilts really are not difficult in the least.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Don't program your controller just to make tilts easier. Most people struggle with consistently doing tilts at first but with practice it's really easy. Just play a lot and you'll get used to doing it because tilts are some of the best moves in the game.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
There's two ways to do tilts:
1. (the obvious way) HOLDING the control stick in a direction then hitting A
2. (the good way) Lightly pushing the control stick (so that it doesn't touch the groove, so that you will not do a smash on accident) in a direction and hitting A. Try and get used to this, it's much faster.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Try taping off the edges of the control pad to make sure you cannot smash.
After a few minutes of practicing tilts take them off and you should do fine.
Good luck and remember it just takes a little practice.

Top Bottom