• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier placement???

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
Hi, I don't use Little Mac. Though like many, I go against him a lot in For Glory. A lot.

I've noticed a lot of people have different opinions on his tier placement. Some ranging from high-mid tier to flat-out bottom.

Due to lack of official tier list and controversy, I want to know what the Mac boards think his tier placement is. As a main of Ness, I can say that their matchup is probably 6.5:3.5 in Ness's favor, and I also think other high/top tiers have similar matchups against him

Last edited:

wm1026

Smash Cadet
Well to be honest I don't particularly agree with that matchup ratio but that's another topic. So the real question is customs or not? By the way I wouldn't use for glory as a good way to judge any character especially little Mac since he is a seemingly easy character to use, but is difficult to play at any high level.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Low mid. Any match-up against a character with off-stage game of any kind is a loss, and his only strong stage is FD.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Lower Mid, recovery is too bad and he's a little too stage dependent (mainly because of his trouble with platform camping). He also has a hard time dealing with projectiles too, and a few of his MUs can be really polarizing like Pac-Man and Rosalina.

I do see more potential in a custom move environment though; Guard Breaker, Grounding Blow, and Dahs Counter are simply amazing. Flaming Lunge is still pretty bad, but gives KO punch a little more super armor and can sometimes aid his recovery.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Low mid to bottom, not having a good recovery and aerial game is really bad, no matter how good his ground game is.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I honestly think it's impossible to place him anywhere outside the sea of Mid-tier characters that obviously have potential but not enough pros to back up the AT discussions and theories. Mac can take a tournament as large as EVO or Apex. Customs or no customs. I have no doubt of that in my heart.

But, and I tell people this all the time, "Matchup dependent" doesn't even begin to describe Mac. A few auto-piloted movements and one mildly large mistake can and will result in losing a stock at 0-50%. In every MU against a professional-grade player. Yes, even another Little Mac can effectively gimp a Little Mac. Mac is unique in so many regards that you can't make a complete argument for high or low tier. Mac on game 1 in a set with the player's stage pick makes him objectively about 50% better right there. Mac on game 2 after a win makes him much worse, since there are just too many counterpick stages to consider banning that work totally against you. Playing Mac past game 1 requires a lot of courage and faith in the character. But the smart thing to do is switch to a co-main just so you can have a fair fight.

If a tier list is meant to represent a character's absolute highest potential with the highest skill level player, and nothing else (no MU or Stage counterpick considerations) then I'd rank Little Mac as upper-mid, easy. He doesn't have a ton of options as a character, but the options he does have are superb.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You cannot main Little Mac. I don't know where that puts him but that's not a top or high tier, let alone top 10 or anything.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Japan's rules are a little more favorable towards Mac due to stages being restricted to Battlefield, Smashville, Final Destination, and the Omega Stages. You also see certain characters like Yoshi, Wario, Pac Man, Dedede, and Villager get tons more action compared to over here while others like Falco, Shulk, and Robin haven't really been showcased well.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I see him as a dedicated "pocket character"

No one should main him, but instead should keep him ready for certain matchups.
As a main, he's maybe lower mid at best. And that's being generous.
As a pocket? Probably one of the best in the game.

Top Bottom