• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List WITH Custom Moves

Do you think custom moves are an important part of Smash?

• Yes

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
I see a lot of tier lists. However, almost all of them are non custom move tier lists, meaning that they don't include custom move possibilities in that tier list. That's why I want to start a thread about what you guys think about custom moves in a tier list.

:kirby:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't know how most placements would swap but I do believe:4jigglypuff: is far and away the worst character in the game with customs. It's debatable if she's the worst in standard play, but with customs I don't think it's even a contest. She might even warrant her own tier, since the other bottom tier characters actually get better with customs. :(

I think Customs are important, but I don't support the legalization of them, sans for the miis, they are an important part of the game's design in my opinion but I'd rather not have them be legal.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I don't know how most placements would swap but I do believe:4jigglypuff: is far and away the worst character in the game with customs. It's debatable if she's the worst in standard play, but with customs I don't think it's even a contest. She might even warrant her own tier, since the other bottom tier characters actually get better with customs. :(

I think Customs are important, but I don't support the legalization of them, sans for the miis, they are an important part of the game's design in my opinion but I'd rather not have them be legal.
Eh, don't customs not help Zelda though?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Eh, don't customs not help Zelda though?
They help her enough in my opinion, Phantom breaker's goes full distance no matter what charge and breaks shield at full charge, and both the Din's fire customs are good, one goes farther and faster, and the other is slower but is better for trapping and such. Her other customs are kind of crappy though, but this is still much better than Jigglypuff who only really has one acceptable custom movein the form of Pound Blitz, and even then, Pound Blitz isn't better than Pound it's more of a mix-up that's usable. Basically, at least from my point of view, Zelda gains a few more options in customs that are better than default, and Jigglypuff just doesn't get anything to make up for it, and since they were close in a non-custom meta, I feel like Zelda probably edges her out in a customs meta.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4jigglypuff: improves a bit with customs (Hyper Voice & sometimes Leaping Rest), but :4zelda: doesn't at all (none of them are improvements worth using except maybe a down B. They would share bottom tier, considering every other low-bottom tier character improves a lot (especially :4palutena: and :4miibrawl:).

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4jigglypuff: improves a bit with customs (Hyper Voice & sometimes Leaping Rest), but :4zelda: doesn't at all (none of them are improvements worth using except maybe a down B. They would share bottom tier, considering every other low-bottom tier character improves a lot (especially :4palutena: and :4miibrawl:).
Sorry, but I have to disagree here, Hyper Voice is terrible, it does mediocre damage for such a long attack, and is just as punishable as Sing, I legitimately prefer Sing over it, because at the very least you can use Sing on ledge or potentially Sing-Stop a attack, sending someone to sleep is a much higher reward than what H-Voice has to offer and since their both already so bad, Sing's better imo due to the reward. Both are terrible though, don't get me wrong. Leaping Rest is not that bad but you'd have to replace Rest, and Rest is well, Rest, our best move, Leaping Rest can't really match up to it. Jigglypuff really isn't improved by customs from what I've seen and experienced.

I do agree though, in that compared to all the other low tiers these two get the least improvement, regardless of which ones worse, their going to be numbers 58 and 57 respectively. Honestly, I'm starting to think their intended to be bad or something, the amount of bad balance decisions surrounding those two characters are ridiculous.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
As said in another thread:

Characte Custmization - Jigglypuff - custom moves is the worst combo in the entire game and has no useful followups whatsoever.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

What are you talking about? Spinphony is clearly the best move in the game.

Mario and Rosalina are without a shadow of doubt top tier with customs on. Lucario gets great mileage off of them and Ganondorf and Palutena actually don't suck with them on, to list just a few examples. I think of customs as a second half of Smash Bros. 4 and I support their legality wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I'm beginning to think that Zelda is legitimately a joke character at this point. Like, even from a character point of view.

The Triforce of Wisdom benefits a ruler more than it does a warrior, and you wouldn't go through a game using nothing but Din's Fire and Nayru's Love. Considering she literally couldn't get any better after transforming into her "battle form", it's like the game is saying, "See, THIS is how you fight as Zelda."

Which does make one wonder, would the current top-tier be any less dominant with customs on? I remember back in the days of Hoo-Hah Diddy, customs actually made him MORE powerful.

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
I agree. Almost all of the "low-tier" characters, according to the official 4BR tier list, get massively better from customs. A few notable examples include:

:4palutena: As said earlier, Palutena transforms from a low-tier character to a high-tier character with moves like Super Speed, Jump Glide, Explosive Flame, and Lightweight.

:4gaw:Game and Watch also turns into a much better character with custom moves (Although I don't think he's low-tier to begin with) with Chain Judge, Short Order Chef, and Trampoline Launch.

:4shulk:Shulk is amazing with Extreme or Decisive Monado Arts, Back Slash Leap, Mighty Air Slash, and Power Vision (Broken AF Counter).

:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer has the overpowered Jumbo Hoop (SO many hitboxes, impossible to escape out of) and Weighted Header, maybe Enriched Sun Salutation.

:4drmario:Dr. Mario's customs are OP. Breezy Sheet allows for early gimping, Fast Capsule, Soaring Tornado is a STELLAR move for edgeguarding.

So overall, I feel that custom moves bring new life into low-tier characters that may make them viable for custom tournaments. Mii Fighters are unknown for me, as I don't really play them that much. Brawler seems to get buffed though. I also feel that :4zelda:'s and :4jigglypuff:'s custom moves are a bit lacking. :4jigglypuff: is probably the worst custom character IMO.

4BR tier list:

Top Bottom