• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Predictions

Schronos

Smash Rookie
Even though we don't know a lot about the characters, I wanted to know your thoughts about who you think will be stronger than others. Also, if you think that stronger characters from before like Marth and Falco for example will be nerfed enough to not be high on the tier list again.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I think DeDeDe will be worse in this game because of the mechanics change. Fox will probably be better for the same reason. Faster more aggressive gameplay helps fox out.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Still hard to tell period as making tier lists would involve analyzing matchups and (in Smashboards' case) tournament results. You can make minor predictions, but they'd be nothing conclusive.

You can't use previous games either as this is a brand new game, a brand new engine, and likely numerous changes made to the returning cast.

Schronos

Smash Rookie
Still hard to tell period as making tier lists would involve analyzing matchups and (in Smashboards' case) tournament results. You can make minor predictions, but they'd be nothing conclusive.

You can't use previous games either as this is a brand new game, a brand new engine, and likely numerous changes made to the returning cast.
This might be a new engine, but characters like Falco and Marth were both really good in Melee and Brawl (even though meta-knight is just in another league), and that's because their moves will always be good and things like Falco's gun and Marth's range will always be good.

I think that Little Mac will be bad against Falco because Little Mac seems like a close range only character, and Falco's gun will stop him in his tracks with the stun.

Schronos

Smash Rookie
98% likely that Meta Knight will be dethroned from Tier SS. (thank god)
They're probably gonna make all his moves do half as much damage and have half as much knock back and slow him down half as much just so they're certain he isn't op.

But then plot twist, he's still gonna be in his own league and number one.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
They're probably gonna make all his moves do half as much damage and have half as much knock back and slow him down half as much just so they're certain he isn't op.

But then plot twist, he's still gonna be in his own league and number one.
Well take this into consideration: Pikachu was number 1 in N64 and goes same to Fox during Melee time, I could definitely see same thing going on for Brawl's number 1 in SSB4.

2% for 1 out of tentative 50 characters who happen to be Meta Knight as number 1

Last edited:

Schronos

Smash Rookie
I feel like Mega-Man will either be top tier or lowest tier.

He might be top tier because all of his moves look amazing and unique. You never know what he'll use and when he'll use it.

He might be lowest tier because his moves might be so random, that it's completely impractical to use them in battle and might not even do a lot if damage or knock back.

When the games come out I will use him for a while to test him out competitively because I feel like he has potential to be number one.

andimidna

Smash Master
Sure, this sounds fun.
SS: Villager
He's small, steals projectiles, and isn't weak or slow.
S: Little Mac
I don't think his lack of air game will affect him too greatly. He just needs to stay on the ground and he'll be fine. He'll suck on vertical moving stages though. Probably the worst character on one of those.
A: Marth
They mAde his shield breaker better
A: Diddy Kong
Wasn't his lack of range the only thing bad about him?
A: Megaman
Many projectiles. He'll keep you from touching him
A: Rosalina and Luma
You can't touch her with her luma always saving her! And her recovery is great.
A: Meta Knight
I believe Sakurai said balancing wasn't going to come from an equal ground of nerfing and making them better. I'm pretty sure he said they'd try to improve everyone to the top level. So he'll probably have the same broken pros. And the characters will just be closer to equal.
B: Pikachu
He looks to be about the same as Brawl
B: Pikmin and Olimar
Same as above
B: Falco

I'll add more later

Dairz

Smash Ace
S tier: Newcomers
A tier: People in S or A tiers from Brawl
B-F tier: Everybody else
G tier: Ganondorf, Link, Samus
^ What everybody thinks

In all seriousness, its impossible to predict tiers. Did anybody think Mario and Link would become even worse for Brawl? Did people think Ice Climbers would stay close to the top? Smash doesn't exactly go with the "buff the weak and nerf the strong" formula.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Marth will probably hover around the top again simply because of his design.
I could see MK nerfed pretty bad.
Anybody who relys on chaingrabs will probably fall a good ways because I imagine Sakurai will finally take care of it.
Olimar will probably get his grabs and smashes nerfed.
Wario might get hit pretty hard because of the physics changes.
Lucario could go either way with his aura mechanics 'buffed,' because he might get his lower % power might get weaker to emphasise it.
Pit will either stay put or move up a ways depending on how the Guardian Orbitars work in the air and if decaying knockback stays.
Everybody from B to C- not mentioned above will probably stay the same for the most part.
Everybody in low tiers has a good chance of rising up, some more than others.

Smash doesn't exactly go with the "buff the weak and nerf the strong" formula.
Not yet anyways. Sakurai is taking balance rather seriously and SSB4 seems to take alot from Brawl.

Please don't ruin our speculation fun.

R0Y

Smash Master
Link was decent in Melee and I expect he'll be buffed from what he was in Brawl.

I think Mega Man will be around 9th on the first tier list

I expect Meta Knight to be extremely nerfed, down to 35th or so on the Tier List.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I think Villager will be low tier. He looks slow, his attacks looks really weak (except for that extremely hard to set up tree) and his recovery, as seen from Rose's trailer, looks easy to gimp. I could be wrong though.

R0Y

Smash Master
Everything we've seen of the Wii Fit Trainer's been scary so far! I bet she'll be top 5.

I expect Rosalina & Luma to be around #4, that tag team. Even if she's a tall, floaty character by herself similar to Mewtwo and Zelda, the Luma should help.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think Villager will be low tier. He looks slow, his attacks looks really weak (except for that extremely hard to set up tree) and his recovery, as seen from Rose's trailer, looks easy to gimp. I could be wrong though.
Pretty much. But if his ^B is anything like Pit's, he'll be able to get back up pretty much every time when he isn't fighting Pit or Jiggly.

Link was decent in Melee and I expect he'll be buffed from what he was in Brawl.

I think Mega Man will be around 9th on the first tier list

I expect Meta Knight to be extremely nerfed, down to 35th or so on the Tier List.
I highly doubt that.

Take away his damage and minimize his knock back and you still have a small fast character with a disjointed hitbox and 4 recovery moves and solid tilts now with a jab that leads into a finisher.

Meta Knight will not be bottom tier, but balance seems to be the theme of this game so we will see.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Tires don exits.

Seriously, it really is a bit too early to think about tiers. My only wish is that the Hyrule tier doesn't return this time around.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
On a more serious note, I agree about Marth staying in the upper tiers. His Shield Breaker is apparently improved, he'll have an easier time recovering with the new anti-edgehog mechanics but his long range will keep his edgeguard game strong.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
On a more serious note, I agree about Marth staying in the upper tiers. His Shield Breaker is apparently improved, he'll have an easier time recovering with the new anti-edgehog mechanics but his long range will keep his edgeguard game strong.
He's due for a nerf, then again Pikachu hasn't ever been bad in any of the 3 Smash games.

R0Y

Smash Master
I thought Marth was considered the most balanced character in Smash? :confused:
He's far too high at 4th and 5th in the Melee and Brawl tiers respectively to be considered that with too many positive match-ups and insane edgeguarding skills.

Maybe Mario?

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
:pit:Pit will definitely be better. Especially since they're taking out the HAYAYAYAYAHH!!! move and replacing it with the upperdash arm. Thats whats going to put him up a lot. His recovery might've taken a hit but I feel like they will up his knock back. Pit is looking really good in this one. B

:lucario:Lucario will be better too. I really liked Lucario but I feel like the Brawl mechanics did him an injustice. If you couldn't hitstun cancel then Lucario would be better. If they take that out then he will be way better. That plus his aura buffs goodness gracious he's lookin' monstrous. B

:sonic:Basically the same thing I said with Lucario minus aura buffs. Maybe if they give him some kill moves this time he will be good. B

:toonlink:Toon Link. It seems like the mechanics change will hurt this guy. Ah well. Since he was a high tier then they might make him suck more this time. C

WFT looks like an higher tier character just because she's not as gimmicky as the other newcomers. A

Little Mac will be high tier when the game comes out but then go lower in tier as people figure him out. Just stay in the air. Jiggs will blast this guy. B

:samus2:I don't see Samus changing too much. B

The villager is over-rated. He's definitely mid-tier. All that slow-biz. He doesn't look very powerful either. D

:bowsermelee:Bowser seems faster. He was pretty good in Melee if the player knew how he worked. I think they got rid of his useless moves and gave him good ones along with a speed boost. B

:rosalina: Idk. Too gimmicky. I feel like anyone with some speed could kill the Lumas and not give her a chance to make more. C

I don't see any S tiers yet. in a S-F tier list this is what I got. Of course this is all what I think and nothing is set in stone yet. Its just fun to speculate.

Last edited:

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
He's far too high at 4th and 5th in the Melee and Brawl tiers respectively to be considered that with too many positive match-ups and insane edgeguarding skills.

Maybe Mario?
I disagree. Characters like Marth (with Brawl's apparently reduced grab range), who simply have all the necessary tools to maximize their playstyle without broken tactics (Wobbling, waveshines) are the ones that should be left as they are. It's the other characters that need to be buffed to his level. A fighting game where most characters have their own brand of bull**** will always be more exciting than one where the playing field has been evened out with excessive nerfs.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
He's due for a nerf, then again Pikachu hasn't ever been bad in any of the 3 Smash games.

Maybe Mario?
Looking at the tier lists, its probably DK.
C > bottom D > top D

Anyways.

While it is hard to predict tier list, it is somewhat possible to make rough estimates especially for certain vets. I'll take a crack at it a little later, maybe.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Marth will probably be top tier again *sigh*
But my opinion on the newcomers:
Villager: Mid
  • Loads of tools to play with, his down smash looks effective for combos. Recovering might be his biggest issue and seems somewhat floaty. Also seems to suffer from ending lag.
Megaman: High
  • Seems to do heavy damage, especially his down smash. He has a ton of projectiles which is always a plus.
WFT: Mid-Low
  • Quick movement and very agile, I think Sakurai stated that many of her attacks hit both sides which is helpful. Her range seems mediocre as well as her recovery.
Rosalina: High
  • In the hands of a pro, I could see Luma being very dangerous. Her down aerial seems effective for meteor smashing. However she seems very floaty and Sakurai said she's very light.
Little Mac: Mid
  • Quick, super armor, and very high combo ability. Seems to suffer from awful range as well as horrendous recovery.
As stated earlier, we can't really tell. But it's all fun to speculate.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
In terms of veterans, I think Diddy, Bowser, Zelda and Lucario have a good chance of being high(er).
As for newcomers, I guess what everyone's been saying works. With the one-hit KO, though, I'd expect Mac to be a little higher, but then again, poor recovery is poor.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll take a guess that Zelda will be low tier again because he buffed the wrong aspect of Din's fire again...

Hey, am I the only one who remembers when everybody thought that Din's fire was broken?

R0Y

Smash Master

Anyways.

While it is hard to predict tier list, it is somewhat possible to make rough estimates especially for certain vets. I'll take a crack at it a little later, maybe.
if that gif is directed at all to my quotes...

Marth is OP relative coming to the average in both Melee and Brawl and is due for a nerf.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Marth is OP relative coming to the average in both Melee and Brawl and is due for a nerf.
Lol no. Marth is one of the most balanced characters, if not the most balanced, in both Melee and Brawl.

It is obvious by your post that ll you are doing is looking at the past tiers, and assuming Sakurai even knows about these tiers as well. Someone who actually did some reading up on the metagame and it's character would know better.

So I don't see how it's worth my time even explaining it to you.

Top Bottom