• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hello everyone, this is the Tier List thread, where I share some insight and, of course, want your own opinions onto a Tier list. Personally, I say that a tier list has been long overdue, but I will let you all decide the fate of whether or not we may have another. I've created this thread for multiple reasons; discussion, listing the tiers and especially creating the tiers themselves.

I have devised 4 commonplace steps in order to get an accurate measure of a tier list. Should any of the steps not be completed, the thread will cease as it is. But without further introduction, let me tell you those 4 steps.

Note: I do need 3 people to help out, if you do choose so.

Step 1 - Discussion and Introduction
First off, this starts off with a discussion and an introduction of the thread. Now, as I've already introduced what this thread is and how it will lay out, let me give a brief onto the discussion. The discussion is primarily set to talking about the characters' match-ups on a competitive level, especially that of tournaments. Here, we discuss which character fares against which, and compare their match-ups. We also discuss how the stages, the players, the Regions and other factors come in towards the characters.

Step 2 - Match-Up Charts and Tier Ranking (Current)
The second part of this is where any knowledgeable player now comes up with a match-up chart and ranks their characters in a tier fashion. Tier ranking will naturally be the same with others, with bigger tournaments like APEX having higher weights, while other matches still have some significant weights behind them, but only a small bit less; votes then become tallied up in-total. Once the voting deadline reaches its end, I will bring up all of the votes, and...

Step 3 - Calculation
...calculate the votes. However, I will not be alone, as the volunteers who will help out will also be handling the tier list, as well. Once we've gathered all of the votes, calculated them and come up with a list, here comes the final step in the process...

Final Step - Tier List and Post-Discussion
...with the tier list being completed and therefor having an official new Tier List. Afterwards, anyone can participate in the post-discussion, where we not only talk about the tier list, but also more of the competitive scene and we begin contemplating on when another tier list should arrive.

Now, should all of this go along smoothly, we could be expecting a tier list within no more than a few weeks or so. And hopefully, everyone considers it to be the newly official one. Now, without any hesitation, let's discuss.

How to Create Your Charts
Be sure to refer to the following below to create your tier list. Copy and paste it if necessary:

Username:
Years of Experience:
Tournament Experience:
Tournament Matches/Notable Tournaments:
Notable Matches:
Tier List and MU:

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
As I said in all these matchup/tier list threads, as long as there is a decent discussion with good arguments, I have nothing against these threads. However if it turns into a troll fest (which it often does sadly), then I'll have no choice but to lock it.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hopefully, it does not come to that, as it truly would be a denouement.
We will hopefully have a calculated, well-balanced system running, in hopes of creating a valuable tier list for everyone.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Hello everyone, this is the Tier List thread, where I share some insight

I will let you all decide

I've created this thread for multiple reasons; speculation

I will allow it to be locked and will not post another thread.
OMG LMFAO the quoted parts make you seem so pompous/make me LOUDLY laugh

Tier list IMO:
Pikachu
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Mario
Fox
Yoshi
DK
Samus
Jigglypuff
Ness
Luigi
Link

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
I feel like fox should be higher than mario at least. Pressure2stronk

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
This is not in the tier listing stage yet. Look at the top post for the current event, please. Can I also state that none of the above tier lists will count since they arrived too early.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
kirby pika fox and falcon are at the top and link dk and sumus are at the bottom. hi guys

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
tourney placement dictating a tier list is not good and should be avoided

if apex is weighed most heavily, then Link should have been higher for a year (2012), with mario rising to 2nd in 2013 and kirby rising to 1st, from 2013-current

which we all know isn't true

if most pikachu's place at the bottom of the top8 in tourneys, then you should place pika around midtier, right? come on

Sedda

Smash Champion
I think something more useful than results from tourneys would be tourney counterpicks. See what people have usually counterpicked after losing game one or something.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
All good resources and ideas. I may have to put that into the calculation; maybe add competitive matches (2012-Now) to the list, as well.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
off the top of my head, the games that i remember people went pika or kirby...correct me if i'm wrong on these but

vice went pika vs whoever he vs'd on stream
moyashi went pika vs isai, so did mariguas
boom went pika/kirby vs moyashi
ruoka went kirby vs tacos
kero went kirby vs jaime
not sure if nintendude went pika vs jam?

i don't remember too many falcon cps

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
off the top of my head, the games that i remember people went pika or kirby...correct me if i'm wrong on these but

vice went pika vs whoever he vs'd on stream
moyashi went pika vs isai, so did mariguas
boom went pika/kirby vs moyashi
ruoka went kirby vs tacos
kero went kirby vs jaime
not sure if nintendude went pika vs jam?

i don't remember too many falcon cps
nintendude went pika vs me

Sedda

Smash Champion
i think mariguas switched to falcon vs isai, but they also played on dreamland that game

Sangoku

Smash Master
If counterpick analysis were a valid method (not saying it is, not saying it isn't), it would probably only work for high tiers.

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu
Fox
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Yoshi
Mario
DK
jigglypuff
Luigi
Link
Samus
Ness

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Pikachu #1. Doesn't lose to any character.

Good luck beyond that.

And when did Ness become considered so bad? I knew he was low tier, but...

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
tourney placement SHOULD matter for most tier lists

but not for smash 64

idk what CPs have happened, but i feel they would mostly be to kirby/falcon/pika

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Personally, if I were to say anything, I'd say Luigi, Samus and Ness are the three worst in the game. The metagame has practically evolved to counter pretty much every one of them by now. And I personally believe that Fox or Captain Falcon are first, seeing as they have better potential than and against Pikachu.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Anyone up for discussing where the other characters should be?
Link, Mario, Luigi, DK and Yoshi?

Personally, Yoshi is just a pitiful character who can be gimped much more easily than Ness. You just have to wait for your opponent to try to recover and attack once the jump ends, that's it. And I can add that using the DJC would be rather risky when using it near the edge with Yoshi, because we all (obviously) know what it does. Though on the flipside, Yoshi does have a good range for attacks, some good speed and power; though he lacks recovery, which is his biggest flaw. If I personally had to rank him, it would be 10th.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
we should probably discuss this as a dl ruleset.

the main difference here is falcon being better than fox probably. though we arent discussing the actual list yet, i like wotg's list the most so far

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
The tier ranking may come as soon as I have 3 more volunteers to help me out. I will also devise a way to create the ranking charts as efficiently as I can. If you want to volunteer to the creation of the tier list, please quote this and ask to help out.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
what if we discussed in full-width

i think pika is good.

@HanSolo, if we can put a man on the moon, surely fox can win a tournament

Last edited:

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
Kirby>Pikachu

You should trust my opinion on this because I'm using a different font.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Tier List chart creations will now be underway. Refer to the top about how to make your tier lists.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
luigi is at the top
You are a garbage troll who ignored my messages and refuse to have a money match when you were offering them. I offered to play in Boston; I offered to get you a ride to my place to play with me and my friends, and you just ignore all of it.

You suck at this game really hard.

Last edited:

BeatMyLuigi

Smash Apprentice
You are a garbage troll who ignored my messages and refuse to have a money match when you were offering them. I offered to play in Boston; I offered to get you a ride to my place to play with me and my friends, and you just ignore all of it.

You suck at this game really hard.
you mean new hampshire

and I don't like your attitude, makes me think you won't pay when you lose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom