• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

thunderstorming question

GreyWolfii

Smash Cadet
my friends (decent enough brawlers) usually Nair or sometimes Dair my Thunderstomping attempts...is there anyway around this? am i just timing it wrong/not doing it fast enough?

im working on a lil addition to my metagame....

basically 0lag Dair>>>land>>>roll back>>>0lag Dair>>>and so on...

not sure how well itll work out yet

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
It's not like an uber special technique where you're invincible, it's just a dair without lag. Of course you can get hit when you're doing it, that's to be expected if you run into your opponent's attacks.

RobertZombie

Smash Cadet
its good if used in a mix-up (dash grabs, aerial side-b, other aerials, Dtilt, jabs or even Dash attacks)

or to punish

if you start storming from the get go as an approach tactic it can only do so much

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Thunder storming isn't even that useful if you're playing half-decent people. It's actually (in my opinion) more useful to do a full jump instead of a short hop, which lets you double jump afterwards (so you can basically do super high thunderstorming with 2 dairs at a time); it's better because the dair hits underneath you, so approaching from above rather than from the side makes more sense.

Plus, if you miss with the first dair, and then try to double jump, you can accidentaly footstool people... and then Ganon Kick them. :O

gantrain05

Smash Master
i play lots of ganon and i dont find thunderstorming to be really all that helpful, maybe use it a few times, but its like any move, overuse it and your opponent will catch on and punish you, best advice is to use thunderstorm technique equally as much as any other to keep them guessing.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I "thunderstorm" out of shields. It's a great way to punish laggy attacks that connected with your shield. A good alternative to shield grabbing.

Sliq

Smash Master
Ganon's out of shield game is pretty lacking if you play someone who recovers quickly from aerials and spaces enough to not get shield grabbed, which isn't hard with Ganon's awful grab range. Your best bet is to read their reaction upon landing. If someone lands to spot dodge, you can drop shield f smash and it'll hit them as they come out of invulnerability. Or you could delay your short hop then ac dair them and combo from that.

If they land and shield, you can over b out of shield, dash grab, etc.

If they land into another attack, you can shield and punish depending on the move they use.

Reacting immediately to what people do generally isn't a good idea, because people recover faster than Ganon attacks. The only time this isn't true is when they do a laggy smash attack.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Generally, just keep using different moves. the best way to avoid a counter attack is to make them not know what you're going to do.

Otherwise, pay attention to the almighty Sliq's above post.

Top Bottom