• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunderjolt Problems

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I'm a decent Pikachu main (I QAC and all that, and I played melee pretty technicallly).

I guess my main problem with my thunderjolt spam right now is that I'm treating it like SHL spam. To clear some things up first, for those that don't know, a full-hopped thunderjolt has no landing lag if you do it properly, so it's easier to spam.

Anyways, my fingers are basically moving like they would for SHL in melee. The outcome is that my pikachu short hops instead of full hops.

If I hold down the jump button for full hop, he doesn't get the thunderjolt off fast enough, and there ends up being some landing lag.

tl;dr version: Moving fingers too quickly = shorthop, not fullhop
Moving fingers too slowly = landing lag after b

So what do you all do to properly thunderjolt spam?

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, maybe just try pressing the button harder or try fullhopping with the control stick? Or jump and hold the button until you see pikachu airborne?

God_Mains_Pichu

Smash Rookie
I would definitely try using the control stick. It makes a lot of things easier, especially with pikachu.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I've always had problems short hopping, not full-jumping, so I don't really know. Its hard to unlearn something that you've learned, so try using different buttons (Y?).

One thing I experimented with is mapping y to b moves and pressing x and y at the same time to do thunder spam. I didn't end up using it, but you can try that.

for QAC -> jump spam, you actually need it to lag a tiny amount at the end - this cancels your QAC lag with a smaller one. The timing on this is relatively easy.

Vro

Smash Lord
Muscle memory? I just do it the same as I would a SHL, but I can see the concern with the landing lag. Practice is the only remedy.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Just practice more. Anything that requires timing like that will take more than a few minutes to get right, and longer than that to get right every time. Like Vro said "Muscle Memory."

Top Bottom