• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thug Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
X hires Y to rough up Z. Y however, overdoes it and ends up accidently killing Z. Now, supposing it can be proven that X only ordered Y to rough up Z, and didn't want Z killed, how should X be charged?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
you going to law school now, Dre.? lol

anyway, the answer is: X will get charged with Conspiracy to commit Murder (25-life) and plead down to Criminal Conspiracy (5-15). Y will get charged with 2nd degree murder (25-life) and plead down to criminally negligent homicide (5-15). *gavel sound from Law and Order*

No, I dunno, there's many ways prosecution could go about this, but normally they'll go for the heavier charge, and plead down. But if you're asking in terms of morality of law, then the answer is X is guilty by association. Even if he didn't intend for Y to kill Z, Y did kill Z, so X is as much to blame as Y.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But X didn't conspire to commit murder.

It seems justifiable to charge X with conspiracy to murder because X has a high level of criminal intent. But what if X just orders Y to follow Z around, and Y ends up killing Z?

:phone:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well that's why you start out at the top and plead down. It'd be very hard for the defense to prove that X wasn't intending Z to die, and the prosecution knows this. Unless of course there's some ridiculous evidence, and this is a case of total misunderstanding, but you see the premise was X wanted Z "roughed up" so ... if Z dies as a result of the beating, then it still goes back to X initiated things, and so they're culpable. The fact that murder wasn't the intention is why the plea bargain will be accepted, but X will still go to jail, and this way the prosecution doesn't risk X getting off on a misdemeanor.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Derpyherp US law.

Studying Dutch law myself, I don't see how this discussion is Debate Hall worthy. In a black-and-white casus like this there should be little room for debate.

edit: my legal English is garbage so I won't bother trying to translate how Dutch law would handle it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How is there nothing to debate?

Someone is getting charged for conspiring to something that they did not actually conspire to. How is that not controversial?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well the question was 'should they get charged' not 'would they get charged'.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion

I may be doin' it wrong, but I thought you had to have intent to kill someone in order to be charged with murder..

Since the first guy had no intentions of killing him, I'd say the blame is on the man who killed.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The killer is getting charged too obviously, the question is to what degree is the employer guilty.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
The killer is getting charged too obviously, the question is to what degree is the employer guilty.

I do not think the employer should be charged with the same thing as the killer.

I mean, he obviously didn't commit murder, and he had no intentions of committing murder. I sound like a broken record, I know.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~

I think most people would say that it's morally impermissible to kill someone in cold blood. This is essentially what person Y did to person Z, under orders from person X to "rough up" person Z. Given that there is evidence which proves person X did not directly order / hire to kill, person X should be charged, but not to the degree or extent of which person Y should be charged.

I don't study law, so I don't know about the various charges, but it shouldn't be the same as person Y. Person X did not order person Y to kill, so their sentences / charges should be different. That's how I see it anyway.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
X hires Y to rough up Z. Y however, overdoes it and ends up accidently killing Z. Now, supposing it can be proven that X only ordered Y to rough up Z, and didn't want Z killed, how should X be charged?
If I have a gun and I shoot someone without intending to kill them but I did, I should still be charged with murder. The same thing applies in your scenario. However I would argue that intent should factor into sentencing. And someone who did kill someone else accidentally should be sentenced less severely than someone who did intent to kill someone.

Smash Master
Y should have all his personhood rights taken away forever for being anencephalic and X should be enslaved until he's paid off the value of Z's life. wtf is intent?

If Y has a brain, then split the slave labor based on how much autonomy Y is judged to have.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
X should be charged with intent to assault,or the legal equivalent.
If I have a gun and I shoot someone without intending to kill them but I did, I should still be charged with murder.
But X wasnt the one shooting the gun.
The same thing applies in your scenario. However I would argue that intent should factor into sentencing.
I agree here.
And someone who did kill someone else accidentally should be sentenced less severely than someone who did intent to kill someone.
This is also true.But we aren't sentencing Y the murdering, we are sentencing X the one who hired Y to "rough up" Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom