• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Throwing and Air-Neutral

kungfurabbits

Smash Apprentice
I was curious as to which of the throws is best for Wolf. I've been using his down throws a lot and when the opponent has a lot of damage it slides them pretty far away and off the arena side. But that isn't necessarily a great way to start some combos and such.

Also, his Air Neutral A move where he does some rolls has never been useful to me. Approximately 0 knock back and not much damage given as well as not much priority from what I've seen. Are there any other opinions on this move and how it maybe can be useful?

Hunter_R

Smash Cadet
^ What he said.

Also, I don't find any of Wolf's throws particularly useful for starting a combo, so you're not alone. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
I just like to say that wolf's nair can easily be shield grabbed.

as for his grabs 12 damage is alot better than 7, since it's hard to get a follow up after any of his grabs.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
hmm... wolf's throw game aint that good lol...

most useful to me is downthrow to forward smash... its even hard to land it lol

his nair seems to suck... i think if you hit it while being in total touch with your opponent it does a little more knockback... dont expect a knee... expect something in the terms of knockback as good as marth's nair non tip first hit and around 11% dmg, not pretty sure though (means if hes a ****** that cant attack you while youre very vulnerbale on a little hitbox low priority attack or a ****** who cant roll/sidestep)

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
i just made a good use for nair... its to set ken combo like kills...

i was vs ike, he was near edge, i dash attacked, instantly short hopped with nair and used second hop to spike... worked good

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I don't think any of his throws combo. Just go with the down throw, as that will get you 12 damage.

popsycle

Smash Rookie
I just use nair with a triple claw attack, it seems to follow up pretty well..

..and as far as creating combos from throws, well, I think we are all stumped on that one haha!

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I don't know about his Nair. I use it moderately, but seriously that is one whack move. Sometimes no knock back, sometimes no damage, sometimes a lot of either. Makes no sense.

As for his throws, I like to down throw at lower percents to get a jab, fsmash, or ftilt in as well as perphaps another grab. I also tend to up throw or back throw (still not sure which allows for the least amount of horziontal DI) at medium percents for juggles.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
his Nair. I use it moderately, but seriously that is one whack move. Sometimes no knock back, sometimes no damage, sometimes a lot of either. Makes no sense..
If you hit with the edge of his nair, it gets multiple hits with little knockback, which ties right into a ground hit since there's very little landing lag. reflector>fsmash or a grab afterwards seems to be working for me lately.

If you hit with the middle of wolf's body in the nair ball, it has high knockback. Not too sure about the damage comparisons though. I'm at college now, i'll test it later but I'm sure somebody will have already answered to that by the time I get back on smashboards.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, I understood that if you hit with the first frame it will have high knockback and otherwise it will just rack up damage. However, sometimes it doesn't cause the opponent to flinch with the latter, which is a terrible thing. However, other times it doesn't. Whack move.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
reflector -> Fsmash is not a combo btw. Its a "string".

Also, a SH Nair + Bair has been working for me (facing backwards and DIing). RAR Nair -> Bair is unexpected but difficult to pull off. (Mine have been due to luck)

GreyWolfii

Smash Cadet
well... Bthrow -> F/Bspecial "insta sweetspot"works around 50%

i think its nice to throw in to look cool....since you know...that is like atleast 50% of the reason all of us are using Wolf...
...20% goes to his quotes

I juss Had Funn Wit that THANGG!!!!

GreyWolfii

Smash Cadet
completly virticle...? nah man at the right % the character can fall right into it....unfortunatly its a very narrowly exclusive % range (if that makes sence...around 40%-55% maybe)

havnt been tested on many characters...

maybe at higherpercents you can wait until he falls to the 'sweetzone' an itll work...but the ppl i fight air dodge more than anything.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
^ What he said.

Also, I don't find any of Wolf's throws particularly useful for starting a combo, so you're not alone. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
If you're fighting a jumpy opponent (jumpy in both senses), a back throw will tend to make them, well, jump.
This doesn't lead into a combo, but you can start playing keep away, where your opponent's the kept-away and the ground the physically inept kid bereft of his prized item (except in this case he's inert).

It's just a thing to keep in mind to respond to your opponent's psychology, a way of controlling them.

It's true, down throw and fthrow are all you need (sometimes weird terrain or certain dmg amounts result in a quick-recovering foe from dthrow, I'm tryin' to scientize it).

Fthrow leads to one of Wolf Flash, a fair, or delaying, the correct move for him being mutually exclusive across these cases.

Wulfstan

Smash Rookie
his neutral A move is useful for getting smash ball, repetitive hits give you a better chance of getting it. you just have to time it well.

dream theater

Smash Cadet
Why are you talking about smash balls? This thread is about his throws it has nothing to do with nair.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
When your opponent is at very low percentages, you can backthrow and then stick in a lag cancelled f-air. It is not a combo, but works very often. At medium percentages if you are near an edge, the forward throw will usually put him in a good position to attempt a meteor spike.

The majority of the time you should be using down throw though.

The nair is really not that useful a move. One small use it has is it will cancel some projectiles. I am not really sure which ones work. I know it works great against ness pkthunder and some other energy projectiles.

ZachSoup

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but when I am being followed in a combo, I sometimes use the neutral air to escape. The nair is quick, and often times I can break combos depending on the timing.

As for grab combos, I'm in the same boat as you. I have been trying to follow people with a nair after a dthrow at low percents, but my results are so random I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Sometimes I get hit out of it, other times I nair threw their shield and grab them from behind. I'm not sure what part of the nair I should be trying to hit with, or the timing. *sigh*

Inuakurei

Smash Rookie
At low percentages wolfs down throw can link into Ftilt, and at high percentages i just down throw > blaster. its meh

Top Bottom