• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Throw Guide 2.0

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
the old guide is very outdated so im making a new one

Down Throw - This is Metaknight's main combo starter, and mastering how to optimize damage from this move is necessary to keeps him competitive as a character. At virtually every percent and almost every position he should be able to do 20+% reliably from one grab. There are a lot of different followups that each have their uses, so make sure to be comfortable with all of them.

Dthrow - Up Smash inbetween 0-10% - 16%
This is Metaknight's safest followup and it always works in the listed percents with no rage, but you should be able to do more damage if you can react to DI.

Dthrow - Tornado inbetween 0-20% - 27%
This only works if your opponent DIs up or has no DI at low%s.

Dthrow - Dash Attack inbetween 0-20% - 13+%
This only works if your opponent DIs away or has no DI at low%s. Typically if the opponent ends up in front of you after Dash Attack, you want to fullhop Fair into buffered Shuttle Loop, and if they end up on top of you, you want to fullhop Uair into Footstool. If you don't want to get fancy you can always just buffer grounded Shuttle Loop after Dash Attack as well.

Dthrow - Fullhop Fair - Shuttle Loop inbetween 15-35% - 25%
This only works if the opponent has no DI or DIs up. I like to use this instead of Tornado if they don't DI away for whatever reason because it's easier for me to react since I usually just always dash as soon as I Dthrow and that prevents me from using tornado fast enough. You could potentially use this at 0% because most people don't expect the buffered Shuttle Loop afterwards, but it's not true that low and they can airdodge. If you are high in rage this combo will work at 0%, and you should be looking for this if they DI above Dash Attack.

Dthrow - Fullhop Uair Chain - Shuttle Loop inbetween 30-50% - 24%+
This only works if your opponent does not DI away, this will not work on a competent opponent. That said, if they happen to not know how to DI for whatever reason you can score a kill very early on an unprepared opponent.

Dthrow - Rage Shorthop Uair inbetween 0-10% - 12%+

This is definitely the most situational optimal Dthrow setup but it can be very rewarding. This only works if they DI up. Typically Uair doesn't true combo into itself until 25+%, but if you are in 100+% rage it will combo immediately even against a fresh stock. Get multiple upairs and finish with shuttle loop, and you can do 30+% damage.

Dthrow - Shuttle Loop - inbetween 0-80% - 19% or 22%
You will get punished on hit if you use this combo below 20% vs most characters, and you wouldn't want to do that anyways since there are more optimal combos you can do. After about 30% if your opponent DIs away, run forward and use grounded Shuttle Loop to deal 15%. It's important you use it from the ground, because it comes out faster so it's the only way for it to be a true combo in some scenarios, and deals 3% more than the aerial version. You need to have tap jump on or manually input jump before your UpB, otherwise you cannot use grounded Shuttle Loop out of the initial dash running animation. Some very light characters such as Sheik and Zero Suit have a very small percent window where even if they DI away, grounded Shuttle Loop is barely still a combo AND kills. If your opponent just holds away they usually will escape this combo at death percents though.

Foward Throw - Pretty situational but sometimes is a good option. At around 80-100%, if you get a sliding dash grab, immediately let your stick fall to neutral then hold forward again to use Fthrow while still sliding. The extra distance you move forward should be just enough to let Shuttle Loop be a true combo into a kill directly afterward. If you aren't sliding from dash grab it is not a true combo unless they have abysmal DI.

Back Throw - Tied for Metaknight's most useful kill throw, this move can also start a combo at 0% if you followup with dash attack and the opponent has no DI. If you get a grab facing the ledge at 0%, it's more rewarding then just Dthrowing them off and getting only a drop zone Fair afterward. It's also just a decent mixup as a combo starter when you think it would be a good time to throw it in. This throw isn't terribly strong, but at around 150% or 120-130% if MK is in rage, try rolling at the ledge when you predict the opponent to use neutral getup or getup attack. Backthrow should kill at the listed percents, but otherwise anywhere else on stage Up Throw is stronger.

Up Throw - Tied for Metaknight's most useful kill throw, this move will usually kill at around 170% and at 140% with rage anywhere on stage. http://smashboards.com/threads/meta-knights-up-throw-kill.400394/

STUFF TO PRACTICE
- If you are any kind of MK player at all you need to be able to dthrow-shuttle loop
- dash attack-fullhop upair-footstool
- dthrow and dash attack-fullhop fair-buffered shuttle loop <------- this is so good please learn

!!!CHALLENGE!!!
- pick mk vs diddy in training mode
- do down throw-dash attack-fullhop upair-footstool-1st hit backair into the ground-dash grab-downthrow-fullhop fair-buffered shuttle loop. should do 46%.

i noticed that i couldnt reach some characters in time that either fell fast or landed behind me because i had to buffer the difficult turn around dtilt on landing, so i tried 1st hit backair instead. its a true combo into dash grab and i just end up using that now instead of doing the lock most of the time.

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Fantastic job. I really hope some more MK mains give this a read. Players like Unknown are only intelligent when it comes to gameplay, but I don't think I've ever seen him try to follow up with shutte loop after a dthrow (which is a huge problem with his play style). All I ever see him do is try to get the up-airs into shuttle loop for the kill (which almost never works against his opponents' DI).

But really that's a fantastic guide. Great work as always, Ito. I didn't even know I could combo out of back throw.

EDIT: Just curious, did they nerf jab locks? I'm taking the diddy kong challenge and I'm able to land the down throw - dash attack - fh up-air - footstool, but when I try to jab lock with down-tilt the Diddy Doesnr immediately do a neutral get-up. Am I not fast enough?

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i have problems when they drift behind me after footstool and i need to do turn around dtilt instantly when i land which is why i do 1st hit of backair into the ground in this situation, but honestly it isnt too difficult if they drift in front of you. even though the window is very tight just land and instantly dtilt and i get it every time. if you mean that youre dtilting him and hes not forced into a getup, you need to dtilt him 3 times or it wont work. if hes still lying prone on the ground after a dtilt then the lock is still continuing, you just need to do all 3.

lock barely works on diddy and is too slow vs sheik and falcon but you can still do 1st hit bair into dash grab on fastfallers like them. i think its only impossible to get anything vs only fox because he falls so fast, and ultra-lightweights who fall so slow they leave the footstool animation before they touch the ground.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
It seems some characters will always land behind you after the footstool, Marth is a perfect example for this. Buffering the turn around dtilt is impossible if you don't set your c stick to attack.

Rosalina, kirby, marth, robin and pikachu are pathetically easy to footstool. Against sheik I go for back throw --> DA --> full hop uair ---> footstool, its a true combo too.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Should be noted against certain fast fallers like Falcon, and probably other characters as well, you can follow up with a Shuttle Loop after the down throw to up smash. It is not safe to do on flat stages, but I will do this on Battlefield, Town & City, Smashville and other stages where the platform is present to give me cover when I land.

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
i can't really get down the challenge :/

although i did find an alternative but it's probably easily escapable:

dash attack < up tilt < 2 sh up airs < 1st hit of bair and the follow up f smash after jab lock is 55%

(was tested on diddy)

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
i can't really get down the challenge :/

although i did find an alternative but it's probably easily escapable:

dash attack < up tilt < 2 sh up airs < 1st hit of bair and the follow up f smash after jab lock is 55%

(was tested on diddy)
I did something similar, but it was with 1 fh up air. It put Diddy at the perfect percent to do the dash attack < 5 up airs < Shuttle Loop for a kill.

...But it's probably super easy to just jump out of or something.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
uptilt doesnt true combo into anything, you should just do grounded shuttle loop after dash attack if you cant do anything else.

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
uptilt doesnt true combo into anything, you should just do grounded shuttle loop after dash attack if you cant do anything else.
so wait is there any visual of the combo that's mentioned in your first post?

i also assumed this was thing you were going for against zero in that grand finals you had against his falcon recently right?

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
no not at all, its just something i came up with yesterday. i dont have a camera but someone else can probably upload it

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
no not at all, its just something i came up with yesterday. i dont have a camera but someone else can probably upload it
Once I get it into muscle memory I will record it. And up tilt does true combo into up-air at mid percent.

Where can I watch that match of Ito vs. ZeRo?

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Ok I've been able to do it consistently now. I'll record it when I get home from school today. I'll put it on this post once I upload it.

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
Never mind. I got it.
is there any way you could upload it or share a replay of it with me? i get extremely close to doing it but i'm never able to.

although i find i have better luck sometimes with the back throw variant of it.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
is there any way you could upload it or share a replay of it with me? i get extremely close to doing it but i'm never able to.

although i find i have better luck sometimes with the back throw variant of it.
I'm recording it today just wait a little bit.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
That was good but at the back air you want to be moving into them instead of moving away from them. A closer hit pops them up more as well as landing closer which makes it inescapable. It looked like he could have spot dodged with a good reaction maybe. In a real match if they di away after dash attack you gotta fair into shuttle loop right away. Still cool to see someone else do it though

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I tend to listen to SF3,Nujabes and Tatsunoko(can't spell) vs Capcom.

Fast paced music doesn't flow well in Sm4sh, unless you're fighting a certain character where you can go semi aggro(Bowser Jr and Falcon come to mind).

Fygar

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2855-0512
I completed the challenge yes! Took a like 10 minutes to get it right. The hardest part wasn't the footstool, but landing the B air after. I also find it a bit difficult to buffer the Shuttle Loop. But I'm practicing that right now and it'll become second nature eventually.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Instead of down throw --> fair --> shuttle loop why not do forward throw instead? Hard as hell to DI and more damage (only 2% lol).

Harder to pull off but its better than relying on your oppoent to DI badly from down throw since they expect a grounded shuttle loop (then again people are still under the impression that we dash attack/down throw into fair).

Edit Response: Forward throw is strictly a low percent combo, the opponent won't stay in hitstun long enough for fair to connect at mid or high percents sadly.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
I will do forward throw at low %'s against certain characters because it deals more damage and is difficult to DI. Once the % gets higher, you need to use it infrequently after conditioning your opponent to expect a down throw because it's very easy to DI at higher % if they react in time.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Oh, I got to sit down and really try Ito's throw challenge. Fun stuff. Got it in about 15 minutes. The Bair was indeed the annoying part. But then I figured out I was rushing the inputs after the footstool and it was easy. Done it a few times in succession. Just gotta get to muscle memory. This challenge makes me want to experiment with some stuff at the weekly tournament.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
This challenge makes me want to experiment with some stuff at the weekly tournament.
Ito might already have you covered there in the experimenting department already lol. If you check out his Youtube channel he's got a video showcasing combos/strings against high tiers. But go ahead and explore!

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I love the FH fair into SL so much. It's hard to be sure whether it will hit or not though.

Thoughts on Dthrow RAR Bair? I know some players use it.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
its totally pointless because it will never kill and it only does 7%

you can do 1st 2 hits into a lock but as i explained ages ago 2nd hit spike into lock doesnt work and will get you punished on hit

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Ito might already have you covered there in the experimenting department already lol. If you check out his Youtube channel he's got a video showcasing combos/strings against high tiers. But go ahead and explore!
It's never too late to discover new technology. ;)

D

Deleted member

Bit late to the party, but I was bored today and decided to attempt Ito's challenge, and so far I think I got it.
Thoughts? I don't really know how to buffer moves yet, which is why I say I think I got it.

Top Bottom