• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Throw followups

truecrisis

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips on Ryu's throws? The only one I can see working is down throw. All other throws throw the opponent too far away and can't really combo.

For down throw I usually will follow up with up air then a up-b.
When they start air dodging my up airs, I love it because then I stop, and follow up with a forward smash as they land.

Any other throw follow-ups you know of?

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I typically just stick with forward and back throws. Back throw in particular does about 12-13% damage if I'm not mistaken. I just use it as a means to control more of the stage.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Most throws in Street Fighter don't combo, and that goes here too. They are mainly used against excessive guarding or positioning.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I have actually found these response to be very helpful. I will stop trying to combo with up throw like a dingus.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Don't combo with uair since you'll drop the combo very easily. Ryu cannot combo with uair unless platform canceled. uair inherently has too much ending lag. Instead try following up dthrow with nair or Fair. If you land the nair, you can guide them back to ground for tilts. If you land sour spot Fair, you can falling uair them back to ground for tilts, and if you sweet spot fair you can good damage and another move followup.

These are not guarenteed, none of these are guarenteed but if your opponent doesn't have a frame 3 aerial (ie. luigi), than its a 50/50 mixup between air dodging, getting hit, or trading aerials if they have a somewhat fast option. Fair will win in case of 2 aerials due to its priority

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Down throw Dragon punch,

or down throw (H)Utilt~Dragon Punch

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Anyone have any tips on Ryu's throws? The only one I can see working is down throw. All other throws throw the opponent too far away and can't really combo.

For down throw I usually will follow up with up air then a up-b.
When they start air dodging my up airs, I love it because then I stop, and follow up with a forward smash as they land.

Any other throw follow-ups you know of?
At very low percents DThrow > Fair is a solid 22 points of damage. After a certain percent throws are unreliable combo starters and you should just pummel and Bthrow for the most damage. You might be able to fiddle around with grab release set ups and try to mind game your opponent

Top Bottom