• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Threatening neutral as Marth?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
So to me using aerials, stuffing approaches, and boxing people to the corner seem intuitive when my opponent isn't as good at baiting me or their approaches are kind of sloppy. But one playstyle I struggle a lot against is when they use movement, shielding, and spotdodging a lot but in a way where it's hard to catch them (basically mostly grounded and super opportunistic neutral). I feel like I have a fundamental problem dealing with this kind of playstyle and I want to explore some ideas.

For example, let's say I'm playing against a Sheik who I notice is shielding a lot, but mixing in things like spotdodging/wavedash out of shield so that they can get away with it a lot. When I try to slip in down-tilt or grab without telegraphing my moves, it feels like they can just move/roll away. Then let's say I push them to the corner, but it's the same concept--hold shield and time rolls/spotdodges/wavedashing until they can get back to center stage. Imo it feels like it shouldn't have to take perfect reads or super hard committal moves just to get hits on opponents as Marth.

Sometimes it just feels like it's so hard to hit someone who's playing good defense. My aerials either seem far away and slow (countered by spacing away or shield->wd OoS) or too close (countered by shieldgrab or other OoS option that covers Marth's dash through). Just going for a random callout with grab doesn't seem like a good idea when almost every option beats it. Everything just feels slow, not very "meaty"/no lasting hitbox, and don't lead to much (besides spacies).

Right now, my takeaway is to stay grounded a LOT as Marth to keep many options open at any point in time (so that all your baits, counters, etc. are that much faster). And then sometimes being patient and boxing out is good, but I need to somehow make the most of the situations where I win stage. Any thoughts or videos someone can point me to so I can get better at dealing with this? Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom