• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THQ Assets Sold and Distributed at Auction

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
THQ recently went down and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and a chunk of its properties and assets were sold in auction the past days.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/23/thq-assets-divided/

The THQ auction has resulted in the company's assets being distributed among several publishers.

Developer Volition and the Saints Row franchise, along with the Metro license, have been purchased by Dead Island publisher Deep Silver.

Relic Games (Warhammer 40K, Company of Heroes) has gone to Sega.

The South Park game and THQ Montreal have been purchased by Ubisoft.

Take-Two Interactive has purchased Evolve.

Vigil and other unnamed THQ properties not included in the sale will "remain part of the chapter 11 case," and THQ will look for buyers. According to a letter sent to employees, "If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that your position will end."

Update 2: Official court documents of THQ bid winners with prices, along with runners-up.

Update: DDinvesting reports THQ auction results:

$500k Homefront (Crytek)
$26M for Relic (Sega)
$2.5M for THQ Montreal (Ubisoft)
$3.2M for South Park (Ubisoft)
$11M for Evolve (Take-Two)
$22.3M for Volition (Koch Media)
$5.8M for Metro (Koch Media)
SEGA's acquisition of Relic is particularly stunning. But with Total War sales going up for them, this should work out well.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

The only one of these studios that I've actually played games from is Volition, and I don't know what to expect from Deep Silver.

I'm kinda surprised that there was interest in the Homefront IP and studio, but not in Darksiders or Vigil.

Also, the PC version of The Stick of Truth was supposed to be a Steamworks game. Given that Ubisoft is now publishing it, I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh god dammit, Ubisoft picked up South Park? Great, 5 bucks says they'll use that U-Play piece of trash for it.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Tak's owned by Nickelodeon.

Battle for Bikini Bottom was the best THQ Nick game and you all know it.
Tak and the great Juju challenge was a good game two. The whole game had two player co op and just trolloing ma brother was fun. It ruins more relationships than Mario party.

Top Bottom