• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Zelda

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd like to know what y'all think about Zelda v DDD. simple.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Her fireball doesn't really mess him up much at all. You can just shield and run forward at long distance. Waddles come out a lot faster than din's so when you get a little closer you can hit her with a waddle and shield before din's can touch you (I haven't tried this for a while but I'm pretty sure it works). This means that Zelda has to approach you and Zelda's not great at approaching. DDD's range >>> Zelda's, especially ftilt. The fact that you can actually camp her and give her hell trying to approach with your range and speed are your biggest advantages in this matchup, imo - they allow you to control the match to some extent. Your two big disadvantages in this matchup are that you can't CG her and that DDD is an awfully big target for her lightning kicks. I wouldn't say Zelda owns DDD in the air, but her lighting kicks and uair are very dangerous. Basically if her feet aren't on the ground be on the lookout for a lightning kick and don't get above her because her uair is godly. Her dair isn't that good so DDD's uair, utilt, and even the occasional usmash are very effective against Zelda. If you are careful of her aerials, you can actually edgeguard Zelda pretty effectively. Overall I'd say this one is in DDD's favor.

In summary:

DDD can camp Zelda at close enough range, forcing her to approach.
On the ground, DDD's range makes life hard for Zelda.
In the air, Zelda's lightning kicks are pretty easy to connect against DDD
Neither character wants to be above the other.
DDD has better KO power and much better survivability.
DDD has an advantage, but not an overwhelming one.

Oh, and for stage picks, I like FD because it seems to emphasize your camping and range advantages. Battlefield makes it easier for her to pull off both her Din's and lightning kicks, plus it puts lends itself to aerial combat whereas DDD actually wants to be on the ground in this matchup.

meestertiny

Smash Cadet
I slap myself when the toe hits me one too many times.

and projectile is pretty easy to go around, given you don't just run into her smashes.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll give my opinion from a Zelda mains perspective on this match up. Simply put Zelda will beat DDD most of the time.

-DDD is a huge target in the air. Perfect for Lightning Kicks.

-Din's Fire forces DDD to approach. Waddle Dee spam cannot beat Din's Fire unless you get lucky and throw a Gordo.

-Zelda cannot be chaingrabbed for much damage because she is very light.

-Since DDD is big and heavy Zelda's f-smash and u-smash are harder for him to DI out of.

I'm not saying it's a total landslide like it would be for say Melee Marth vs. Pichu. Its true that a good DDD can beat a Zelda but it is harder for him than it is for the Zelda player to beat the DDD player.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Dedede can NOT outcamp Zelda. Dins Fire and Waddle Dee Toss have nearly the same amount of lag, except DF is longer ranged.

And like everybody said, D3 is easy fodder for Lightning Kicks and Uair, as well as a spike if you're in an inoppurtune position, so not only are you a prime target for nearly every single one of her aerials, but Usmash as well. Oh and not only that but you'll have to sweetspot the ledge during recovery every single time since a good Zelda will uair you on your way down, and I believe she has the strongest uair.

Conversely though, the Zelda will probably be throwing out kicks left and right in a bloodthirsty frenzy, so if you're defensive and they sweetspot your shield, you can take advantage of the absolutely enormous hitlag.

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
Zelda can wreck DDD at close range because she's more agile and has that massive kick. Plus her smashes are insanely fast. That Up-smash of her just builds up on DDD fast because of how heavy he is. If DDD wants to win, he's going to have play really defensively, moreso than ever since Zelda can't really be chaingrabbed...mindgames anyone?

SH fair and bair by Zelda, especially double will destroy DDD because of how big a target he is, especially if the Zelda player can control the sweet spot well (ie no hitlag first hit, but sweetspot second hit at toeshot).

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
hard fight for ddd

i generally use my secondary (GaW) in this match up

bucket silences all spam...

Top Bottom