• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Wobbling?

Is Wobbling a good tactic?

• It is a good tactic to use

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • It is not a good tactic to use

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
That does not matter in the slightest. Melee is about competition, and if you play to win, you do whatever it takes.

Spectators come second to the competition.
Agreed, which is why I said it should be legal. But no amount of justification can make it fun to watch. If you want to play ICs, great. If you wanna wobble, that's fine. But don't throw your hands up in surprise when you get hate for it, lol.

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Don't be so dense -ACE- -ACE- and gmBottles gmBottles

Without spectators and large gains in viewership from things like the Smash Bros doc and how fans showed up for Evo 2013 Melee might be dead, at the very least more top pros would not be able to get sponsorship so a lot would have given up by now. Melee would not be getting the respect it gets right now without all the fans it has garnered (the people matter a hell of a lot more than the top players). I have no doubt if ICs wobbling or Hbox wasn't ever in the top 32 the viewer ship would be even greater by now.

I don't mind Hbox at all but when he gets campy I just don't watch those sets ( or if he plays floaties), and I don't watch ICs sets unless it's one of the 4 actual ICs mains. This is reflected in the viewer base to a much more extreme extent.

The top players don't really matter when you're talking about sponsorships and tournaments. It's the spectators who actually justify the sponsors being able to pay their bills, travel, and it's the cannon fodder that shows up in droves to make the pot worth showing up for, keeping them playing Melee.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Don't be so dense -ACE- -ACE- and gmBottles gmBottles
This has been an issue that I've thought about for 10 years.... maybe I jumped to a conclusion too quickly.

Melee is popular because of its mechanics and the fact that it's highly competitive. I wouldn't want to cater to the crowd at the cost of hindering the level of competitiveness of a tournament. If it was a casual game, sure, change how it's played all you want. Especially when the change hinders a character that has never won a national. Just my dense 2 cents, gents.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
We sure are being dense by recognizing a competitive game as more than just something to watch.

Yep. /s

There is more to Melee than what the people see. The people that aren't playing, quite frankly, don't matter. In an esports sense, of course they do. But this is just talking about the game in general.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
anybody that wobbles has to use ice climbers though. they don't deserve any hate for playing a bad character.
Wobbles, the man after whom the technique was named, rarely uses it. I love watching Wobbles play, and it's mind blowing to see some of the things he's able to pull off. No one is forcing anyone to play ICs, it's not like you're born an ICs main. Excessive wobblers are choosing to artificially inflate their placing by taking advantage of an easy to perform infinite that's only hard to set up at the highest level of play. In the end, it is about the competition, and it is avoidable at the highest competitive level, which is why it should be legal. But for mid level players, not allowing a grab all game long just isn't feasible, and you shouldn't be surprised when you're not respected as a player when you're a one trick pony.

Top Bottom