• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the Ivysaur matchup?

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Just curious on how other Roy's deal with this matchup. I find myself getting hit into sweet spotted up-b rather often (any tips on Di for common setups that ivy's tend to use would be appreciated).

I also find myself having trouble with the tether recovery so any thoughts on dealing with that would be greatly appreciated (Watching Sethlon play Denti has been helpful though).

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I try to get Ivysaur in the air as quick as I can because I know she's floaty. And, even though she can do a lot in the air, she has a harder time zoning you out because her projectile isn't so useful here. It's really to do more with keeping her above you, but not too high or too far because then she gets space, which isn't what you want as a Roy player.
I'm not sure about DI mixups/setups, sorry.
But, in terms with dealing with her tether recovery there really isn't a lot you can do, aside from learning how to grab the edge and doing a quick jump using some aerial low to the ground (Like how you'd waveland back on stage from the edge but use an attack here instead). It takes a reasonable amount of work with Roy because there's not a lot of aerials you can use that won't kill yourself if you just so happen to miss landing on the stage.
Oh and in addition to what I said, about edge guarding one other thing you need to remember, if you can't beat her to the ledge, just be patient. She doesn't have a ton of options from the ledge. Just keep your distance and let her come up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom