• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Sonic's Voice Clips Being Recycled?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
As I'm sure a lot of fans have noticed by now, Sonic's voice clips, while obviously belonging to Roger Craig Smith, are entirely reused from all of Roger's games, particularly Generations.

What are your thoughts on this? I myself would personally like to think they're just place holders, especially considering how inexpensive it is to get Roger to record for Sonic. If they aren't though, I suppose I'm not too devastated. Though it's an odd feeling considering I use a voice hack for Roger in PM that use nearly all the same clips...

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm thinking that they're placeholders. But if not, I'm perfectly fine with it anyways seeing as the voice clips fit in just fine. Also, "Super Sonic Style! Heeeyaa!" to me sounds a tad different than Generations' quote. I dunno. Also, apparently since his side-taunt now says "Sonic Speed!", Roger must have come in and recorded some, because I certainly don't remember Sonic saying that in Colors, Generations or Lost World

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm thinking that they're placeholders. But if not, I'm perfectly fine with it anyways seeing as the voice clips fit in just fine. Also, "Super Sonic Style! Heeeyaa!" to me sounds a tad different than Generations' quote. I dunno. Also, apparently since his side-taunt now says "Sonic Speed!", Roger must have come in and recorded some, because I certainly don't remember Sonic saying that in Colors, Generations or Lost World
I swear on my life that I've heard him say Sonic Speed elsewhere, but since I can't for the life of me remember where, take that with a grain of salt.
Super Sonic Style and the grunt after are definately recycled though, I can tell you that for sure.
But yeah, I'm still banking on them being place holders.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I swear on my life that I've heard him say Sonic Speed elsewhere, but since I can't for the life of me remember where, take that with a grain of salt.
Super Sonic Style and the grunt after are definately recycled though, I can tell you that for sure.
But yeah, I'm still banking on them being place holders.
Maybe Sonic Speed is from Free Riders, since I haven't played that game.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm just glad that other guy is gone, though the Roger Craig voice in Colors was terrible

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm guessing those are just place holders for the demo, but if they aren't that's fine, It'd be hilariously fitting afterall, Sega recycles sound clips for characters quite often, Metal Sonic never dropped those SA2 sounds and all the Sonic characters had nothing but recycled voice clips in the first Sega All-Stars Racing.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm guessing those are just place holders for the demo, but if they aren't that's fine, It'd be hilariously fitting afterall, Sega recycles sound clips for characters quite often, Metal Sonic never dropped those SA2 sounds and all the Sonic characters had nothing but recycled voice clips in the first Sega All-Stars Racing.
Oh yeah, it was the most unfitting clips ever though. It sounded like they didn't even know they were in a racing game

D

Deleted member

I'm okay with it since I don't play Sonic, but assuming they're final, I'll be mildly annoyed that they didn't get Roger Craig Smith to re-dub "YOU'RE TOO SLOW," or "C'MON, STEP IT UP!" The replacements aren't too awful, but once you start with "YOU'RE TO SLOW," it's impossible to go back.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm okay with it since I don't play Sonic, but assuming they're final, I'll be mildly annoyed that they didn't get Roger Craig Smith to re-dub "YOU'RE TOO SLOW," or "C'MON, STEP IT UP!" The replacements aren't too awful, but once you start with "YOU'RE TO SLOW," it's impossible to go back.
I don't think roger would do the line any justice, he doesn't have the insane cheesyness of jason

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Meh, if this is final, Sega did it out of laziness. You got a new voice actor, but you recycle old clips. I swear one of his grunting noises I never heard before. "Sonic Speed" on the other hand, is very generic. "Super Sonic Style" and some other recycled attack sounds however, is fine with me.

Last edited:

Sages

Smash Cadet
Final Smash Dialog:

Here's a source for his Super Sonic transformation line. I'm attempting to find the other taunts through media. I really hope "You're too slow!" hasn't been replaced.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
His voice clips being reused really doesn't bother me. Of Couse i'll miss "Your To Slow"

XaviortheSavior

Smash Cadet
I know that the "Sonic Speed!" line was also used in Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed, though seeing as that game also used recycled voice clips, its origin is a mystery to me.
I'm banking on them being placeholders, but if those lines are in the final product, I won't be too upset. At least they fit.
Edit: I just now remembered where the "Sonic Speed!" line originates: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom