• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Palutena's Placement in the new BR Tier List?

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
So, the official Tier list is finally out. Here's the link for those of you who didn't catch the news: http://smashboards.com/threads/first-official-4br-smash-for-wii-u-tier-list.429817/

Looks like Palutena is in the "trash" tier. I'm actually a bit surprised; it's lower than I expected. I thought she would be in the low-tier at worst. But then again, she's pretty under-repped. No one in "famous" or "well-known" scenes actually play as her. I can only think of IceNinja when it comes to "national" scenes (Canada).

What are your thoughts on this?

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
It's sad but she doesn't have that many reps nor is she a popular character choice. If she had customs she would be B tier but they're banned. Her tier placement is allot lower than I expected tbh even with her lackluster defaults

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I entered this thread assuming it was going to be about a Brazilian tier list.

Her placement seems okay to me. I could bump it up a bit but I'm not to offended by where she sits. I like the gal but she got problems.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I love Palutena, but without customs, that's probably a reasonable spot for her, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
I still hate the fact that she's this low, her matchup spread is decent compared to most other characters

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't place her there personally. While she honestly isn't amazingly good, she's a good pocket character against certain characters that sits higher on that list for sure.

She have problems, though.

Hopefully we can look back at this after the Corrin and Bayonetta patch and say that Palutena definitely is not down there anymore.

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I really don't think that's accurate. She has much better results than the characters around her. She belongs in G at least.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
I don't give two s***s about that or any other tier list, to be brutally honest. There are just too many factors at work that determine a character's "viability" in this game, mainly the players. Someone brought up a good point in that thread despite getting flak for it: outside of ESAM, who out there is really using pikachu at tournaments? This game isn't like Pokemon, where characters' individual stats, abilities and moves are set in stone and you can see a clear ceiling concerning a Pokemon's potential. People rate what they see, and because there are so few "low tier" players at that tournament level, many of the characters are written off.

A character's potential in this game depends not on their abilities, but on the skill, and even more so, the will of the players. If you put the time into a character you WILL improve. I just think it's silly to put out lists like this when quite frankly we haven't seen that range of potential yet. Even though everyone learns the game at a different pace, if they want to make a list like this, then fine. It won't stop me. I personally feel a character difficulty list would go much further than a tier list, but hey, a character's "tier" is often decided by the amount of effort one has to go through in order to get a result compared to other characters.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
I wouldn't place her there personally. While she honestly isn't amazingly good, she's a good pocket character against certain characters that sits higher on that list for sure.

She have problems, though.

Hopefully we can look back at this after the Corrin and Bayonetta patch and say that Palutena definitely is not down there anymore.
I'm positive she's going to get buffed allot this patch. They used Palutena so much in the final presentation and even brought the voice actress back for the event too. There's no way they could possibly overlook her this patch so she's definitely going to rise in the tier list in the 1.1.4 patch :)

I don't give two s***s about that or any other tier list, to be brutally honest. There are just too many factors at work that determine a character's "viability" in this game, mainly the players. Someone brought up a good point in that thread despite getting flak for it: outside of ESAM, who out there is really using pikachu at tournaments? This game isn't like Pokemon, where characters' individual stats, abilities and moves are set in stone and you can see a clear ceiling concerning a Pokemon's potential. People rate what they see, and because there are so few "low tier" players at that tournament level, many of the characters are written off.

A character's potential in this game depends not on their abilities, but on the skill, and even more so, the will of the players. If you put the time into a character you WILL improve. I just think it's silly to put out lists like this when quite frankly we haven't seen that range of potential yet. Even though everyone learns the game at a different pace, if they want to make a list like this, then fine. It won't stop me. I personally feel a character difficulty list would go much further than a tier list, but hey, a character's "tier" is often decided by the amount of effort one has to go through in order to get a result compared to other characters.
That's true but not true at the same time. On one hand your skill can determine how far you go, but on the other hand being handicapped for no good reason makes it all the harder

Last edited by a moderator:

C3CC

Smash Lord
I think she deserves the spot she got. While not Zelda, Jigglypuff or Ganondorf bad, she's still a horrible fighter.

Oh well. At least she's still really fun to use, and that's all that matters. Here's hoping for some future buffs in following patches!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Pretty sad to see her that low, but it was expected.

I still use her from time to time to annoy people in multiplayers with AR...but as a one on one fighter you have to heavily outplay players on your same level if they are using a high tiered character...and im not willing to make things easier for them by using palutena.

You failed on us sakurai.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Pretty sad to see her that low, but it was expected.

I still use her from time to time to annoy people in multiplayers with AR...but as a one on one fighter you have to heavily outplay players on your same level if they are using a high tiered character...and im not willing to make things easier for them by using palutena.

You failed on us sakurai.
I believe in one of his column entries Sakurai explicitly states that he intentionally made Pit (/Dark Pit) and Palutena not as fast or easy to use as other characters, implicitly to avoid bias in characters he's intimately worked with (not that he hasn't with Smash).

I don't blame him for it, the Smash community can be a real b*tch when it come to characters sometimes.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Honestly I don't really believe she's that low; we've seen her get good results. I don't magically know every Palutena tournament placing, but I'd agree she's not anywhere lower than G tier.

This tier list became obsolete a few days after its release anyway due to Bayonetta and Corrin coming out. Marth and Lucina will also move way up because of their buffs and people will eventually realize Mewtwo, Lucas, Shulk, Dedede, and Samus holy hell are all being underrated..

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I still really think she needs to be buffed when it comes to recovery times of moves. She's a sitting duck if she misses anything. If they fixed that, she'd be a lot higher.

Top Bottom