• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Abadango's play-style?

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
The game has been out for a while now, so I figured I'd get your guys' opinions on Abadango as a pac player.
I pinpoint him in particular as he is the most popular pac player in high play. And he gets a lot of praise from
commentators and other players alike. I mean when I first saw his pac man, I was impressed. But I didn't really know how to play pac man at the time. So is he really as good as non pac players perceive him? I'm not saying he's not good, not at all. I'm just saying is he really as good as the praise he gets, especially during live commentary.

I started watching his pac man again recently cause I hadn't seen it in a while. And for me personally, I feel like he relies way too much on fruit and hydrant at almost all times. Mostly using the orange, apple, galaxian, bell and key.

I don't really see him utilize Fair, Nair, and Bair. All of which are fantastic moves. He also really throws the key around. Very often I see him using it. Which isn't exactly a good thing. Especially at high play, using it so much brings the awareness of it to the front of your opponent. I try to downplay it and throw in the other fruits and use the key at later percents when they let their guard down.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong or too critical? I'd like to see other Pac-Main opinions.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I really enjoyed his videos. I respect his knowledge of when to run away and fight.

He has a mastery of the fruit and hydrant shenanigans.

But Evo2015 he ran away too much. He's a much more patient player than I and that's how he beat Cortez and Esam, but he ran away too much. He was reliant on hiding behind hydrant and flipping fruit. I'll need to see more matches with him to change that opinion

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoyed his videos. I respect his knowledge of when to run away and fight.

He has a mastery of the fruit and hydrant shenanigans.

But Evo2015 he ran away too much. He's a much more patient player than I and that's how he beat Cortez and Esam, but he ran away too much. He was reliant on hiding behind hydrant and flipping fruit. I'll need to see more matches with him to change that opinion
Yeah absolutely, he knows how to use his fruit and hydrant and has a pretty solid defense. I just feel like he could mix it up a bit. And yes, he is a very patient and campy player. Not that you can exactly be full on aggressive as pac-man. That's what I mean, I don't want to downplay his skill. I guess I'm just saying that he could be even better and I guess suit the pac praise that he gets. But who am I to really critique. I don't play at a high level. No way, haha.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
He doesn't go in enough. So many misses opportunities. He would run in with the stupidest set up (hydrant flying, galaxian in hand with a shielding opponent in front of him) and yet he just wouldn't capitalize off of it. He needs to use trampoline more as an offensive tool when going in.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
What I have fully decided to take from him is how he handles the Diddy matchup when not running away.
I think he showed that the matchup is NOT in our favor vs Pika and Diddy by running. Anytime he FOUGHT, he was losing it.

What I WILL take from him though is always having a hydrant with him. I'm learning how to bring it with me when approaching Diddy. That way Diddy doesn't feel so safe

BSP

Smash Legend
Abadango is very good, but not a Pac god like most of the community thinks he is. I question some of his decisions at times, but he's getting results and I'm not.

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Abadango is very good, but not a Pac god like most of the community thinks he is. I question some of his decisions at times, but he's getting results and I'm not.
Absolutely. I think a lot of the reason he does in fact get results is a combination of things. He does a good job at keeping a defensive state, and being able utilize the pressure from fruits and hydrants. And I really think a lot of his results come from how campy and patient he is. He is a very patient player, and for his play style it serves him well. He is no doubt a good player, as he can stand his ground in high level play. But like you're saying, he's not an amazing pac player like he's being viewed as.

Fr8

Smash Rookie
NNID
LikeAFaz
3DS FC
3883-4985-8400
As much as I love Abadango, I think that when he plays Pac-Man, he relies much more on his opponents lack of knowledge of the character rather than his skill with him. Don't get me wrong, Abadango is the best Pac-Man out there at the moment, but after seeing what "Beatfox" can do, I'm much more impressed with him than Abadango.

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love Abadango, I think that when he plays Pac-Man, he relies much more on his opponents lack of knowledge of the character rather than his skill with him. Don't get me wrong, Abadango is the best Pac-Man out there at the moment, but after seeing what "Beatfox" can do, I'm much more impressed with him than Abadango.
Abadango is not the best pac-man out there at all. He happens to be the best known one because there's so few high level pac mains. Beatfox is alright but does way too many flashy and/or tedious moves. Moves that, if you do even manage to execute at high level play, are only going to fly once MAYBE twice. People pick up on what you do and they're not just going to watch you set up your little rube goldberg machine.

flashypirate

Smash Rookie
Abadango is not the best pac-man out there at all. He happens to be the best known one because there's so few high level pac mains. Beatfox is alright but does way too many flashy and/or tedious moves. Moves that, if you do even manage to execute at high level play, are only going to fly once MAYBE twice. People pick up on what you do and they're not just going to watch you set up your little rube goldberg machine.
Yeah I agree with this, Beatfox's videos were in for glory and wouldn't likely work too well in a competitive environment, only a few of them would like the fruit throw combos which are a staple in a lot of PAC's playstyles. If Beatfox were to appear in some tournaments and try this out, it'd be interesting but until then, he's just a guy who got some nice kills in For Glory.

Fr8

Smash Rookie
NNID
LikeAFaz
3DS FC
3883-4985-8400
Yeah I agree with this, Beatfox's videos were in for glory and wouldn't likely work too well in a competitive environment, only a few of them would like the fruit throw combos which are a staple in a lot of PAC's playstyles. If Beatfox were to appear in some tournaments and try this out, it'd be interesting but until then, he's just a guy who got some nice kills in For Glory.
I can't disagree with that. If he were to come to U.S. tourneys, I could see him pulling off some in earlier rounds, but start to veer off into later ones. It would be interesting to see, and I think a lot of people would be backing him.

Top Bottom