• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts and Uses for Gunmen

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So over the past couple weeks I've been toying around with Duck Hunt (big surprise) but hadn't really checked up on the boards in a while. When I came back, I found many threads dismissing the gunmen as "eh". I found this a bit odd considering I was constantly using them in play (though I was neglecting can, thanks to everyone's tips for can techniques!).

So I thought I'd help by offering my thoughts on them a bit more in depth, rather than a general overview.

Need to Know Information

The biggest advantage to having a gunman out I've found is the delayed hit (some faster than others, but always delayed). Where as Clay and Can both are immediately active as hitboxes, Gunmen have a delay that can be used for setting up tons of opportunities. Like the move Future Sight in the Pokemon games, it's not about getting the hit eventually, but using the delay to your advantage.

While all the gunmen have delayed attacks, there are two important extremes to take note of: Sad Bro (dual pistols) and Thomas (coat) (names taken from this video until official names are decided on: Source). Thomas shoots the fastest, almost immediately (but not the shortest range, Mad Bro takes that, along with the strongest shot), while Sad Bro has the longest delay, but the longest range (around 6 or 7 tenths of FD). The timing of the other 3 gunmen are all between those two, and much more predictable (just with varying damage, damage elements and knockback angles). Sad Bro and Thomas are like less rare versions of Peach's stitchface or beamsword, where because of their extreme timing variances, are great for mixing up or for much bigger set ups.

Gunmen will also act as a shield for projectiles that do not have piercing qualities (Beam Shot, Turnips, Fireballs, etc). However, due to their hitstun lag (being hit before, during, or after the shot or hit by anything, they take about 5% to knockdown), it is not recommended as a guaranteed way to stop projectiles spam. Smarter players will attack gunmen after they shoot, making sure it is a long few seconds before you can set up another.

Gunmen do float slowly down while in mid-air, though they all float different distances. The faster they shoot, the lower the distance. I wouldn't recommend it for edgeguarding, due to the randomness of them, but it is possible. If they are recovering mid-way (as opposed to high or low), then throwing out a gunmen before going off stage is a good way to pressure people.

Set-Ups

Gunmen > Grab > Pummel > Downthrow/Foward Throw > Fair/Dash Attack
This is probably one of the safest ways to approach someone on the ground, since it covers many options. If they shield, grab. They attack, they will be shot. Whiffed attacks just mean as soon as they are popped-up by gunmen, and immediate Fair.

Gunmen > Clay Pigeon
Excellent spacing tool. Soft tossed clay pigeons will catch them once popped up, then you can detonate the clay. Be sure to not clay pigeon first instead, gunmen can shoot it out of the air.

Can > Gunmen
An odd way to approach someone with plenty of projectiles leading the way, as well as a very campy way to have two layers of protection. Kick a new can in front of you however far you like, then put a gunman behind it. Their shots are transcendent to the can, meaning they will hit the can (reduces the shots left on can) as well as shoot past the can to the enemy. If gunman shoots the can early, it will float a decent distance forward slowly. If there are shots already on the can, gunman will make the can go forward only a bit, but very quickly. (Note, Sheriff will shoot over the can, not making it bounce)

Can >< Gunmen > Clay pigeon (by @ DunnoBro DunnoBro )
It doesn't matter if gunmen or can goes first too much, though generally can is better unless you need projectile blocking immediately as it lets you threaten for longer. Just keep shooting the can barely off the ground, above where gunmen is going to shoot. This locks out a lot of ground and single jump air options. If the can survives, let it drop to the ground and short hop a clay pigeon over it (preferably reverse SH to put more distance between you guys as the can is likely near exploding and you're going to need to reset the stage traps) This again locks out ground and aerial options.

Getting The Most Out of Gunmen/Playstyles

Anti-Camping Tool
While all projectiles can keep a person from camping, the benefit of gunman is his shield like properties. Most campers are either waiting for a move, or spamming weak projectiles. He can take a few weak projectiles and still fire, while you set up a can and send it over head. Since he is acting as a shield as well, it will prevent a camper from using their weak projectiles to turn the can around while you get it above them.

Two for Flinching
For those who have the bad habit of instantly air dodging, spot dodging, or rolling. Most of these players will spam an evasive move or a counter as soon as any attack happens. This is where the delay comes in handy, since the attack is not immediate, making it tricky to counter. This can give you the time to run in with a grab or set-up a counter move. With counter-happy people, I'll run at them, then throw out gunmen, wait for the counter to happen and punish the long end lag.

Juggle Insurance
Keeping opponents in your control is very important for Duck Hunt, considering clay pigeon has long lag, and getting juggled makes it hard for DH to get down. Once you have control of the ground (let's say you used a dash attack and it connected), tossing out gunmen as they fall helps you control space the can can't cover and keeps pressure on opponents. If they land, they are popped back up for more juggles. If they land and shield in time, free grab (gotta be fast). If they jump, this gives you more time to set-up a can (if needed), or continue the string. Using Fair when they jump is great because of it's disjointed hitbox, or you can land the much needed U-Air for a star KO.

Anti-Pressure (by @ DunnoBro DunnoBro )
On the stage, they're good for dealing with dubious option characters like sheik or greninja who can either rush you down or pick at you with projectiles. Helps remove some of their options for a bit to give you time to set-up for the right approach.

Off-stage (by@powerhouse)
Not really too great but worth mentioning. When you're recovering, often you need to put out a hitbox to protect you during your harmless upb. The can is usually ideal for this but sometimes it's stuck on the stage, gunmen can make a good makeshift in this case. Just release him while you're high-ish so he'd be stage level after falling, this locks them on the stage long enough to mess with their timing hopefully.

Hopefully this will encourage the other pups out there to use their bandito friends more often, they are very versatile and come out much faster than DH's other projectiles. Cheers!

If I may, since nobody else has given them any names...
(From left to right) Rifleman, Dual Pistols, Bandito, Sheriff and Thomas (or Coat, I like Thomas better...)

Last edited:

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
One thing I'd like to add is that if you find that your opponent is prone to jumping over your clay pigeons or cans, spawning a gunman in the air can help force them to play closer to the ground

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
>TFW you were pretty much typing up the same discussion and points then someone comes along and does it better

Some notes though if you wanna use them.

On the "Gunmen > Grab > Pummel > Downthrow > Fair" you might want to put " Fthrow/Downthrow" Fthrow has actual guaranteed follow-ups to dash attack/fair until certain percents. Downthrow is better for higher percents. (I like to kick out a can as soon as I'm finished and hope they jump away from it and over me to uair)

Can >< Gunmen > Clay pigeon
It doesn't matter if gunmen or can goes first too much, though generally can is better unless you need projectile blocking immediately as it lets you threaten for longer. Just keep shooting the can barely off the ground, above where gunmen is going to shoot. This locks out a lot of ground and single jump air options. If the can survives, let it drop to the ground and short hop a clay pigeon over it (preferably reverse SH to put more distance between you guys as the can is likely near exploding and you're going to need to reset the stage traps) This again locks out ground and aerial options.

(While on the ledge against during an edgeguard) Can > Gunmen > Charged Fsmash/Aerial
When the opponent is recovering, get to the ledge and kick the can out. Then immediately make gunmen, he drops from the ledge and keep the can hovering above his trajectory. (or let it drop if it's a super low recovery) This covers more options than just kicking the can out and doesn't really let you miss out on timing if you were already on or near the ledge.

*Charged fsmash doesn't work well against much of the cast. Slow, hovery recoveries like kirby, R.O.B. and the like are where it shines as you can manipulate their trajectory most and it's dangerous take them on off-stage.

*This annoys Ness because he needs to avoid both his pk thunder hitting the can or gunmen, but also his body and losing momentum.

-The short fat bro has a wider hitbox. His shots can hit people hanging on the ledge.

Anti-Pressure: On the stage, they're good for dealing with dubious option characters like sheik or greninja who can either rush you down or pick at you with projectiles. Helps remove some of their options for a bit to give you time to set-up for the right approach.

Off-stage, not really too great but worth mentioning. When you're recovering, often you need to put out a hitbox to protect you during your harmless upb. The can is usually ideal for this but sometimes it's stuck on the stage, gunmen can make a good makeshift in this case. Just release him while you're high-ish so he'd be stage level after falling, this locks them on the stage long enough to mess with their timing hopefully.

Spirst

Gunmen have exactly 5% HP (tested this carefully) and, of course, hitting them has no effect on stale move negation though I wish it did. I find the gunmen to be especially helpful against projectile-heavy characters like Toon Link as it tanks hits and enforces more careful ground play. It's also good for baiting shields that can be followed with grabs.

As for the piercing properties, it'll be useful to see what projectiles DO pierce the gunmen. I'll work on having a list tonight after some tests as I have a good idea of what will and what won't.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
As for the piercing properties, it'll be useful to see what projectiles DO pierce the gunmen. I'll work on having a list tonight after some tests as I have a good idea of what will and what won't.
That's a good plan. Megaman's sticky bomb for example doesn't actually pierce but it activates on them and hits you if you haven't moved away from the default spawn points. And the blade and leaf shield goes right though. So not as great against his stuff. Stops his fsmash and lemons though.

Also worth mentioning is charged sheik needles. Doesn't pierce but they do separate hits so once the 5% is gone, they're gettin through.

In both of these scenarios the can actually does a better job of blocking for you imo.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
>TFW you were pretty much typing up the same discussion and points then someone comes along and does it better

Some notes though if you wanna use them.

On the "Gunmen > Grab > Pummel > Downthrow > Fair" you might want to put " Fthrow/Downthrow" Fthrow has actual guaranteed follow-ups to dash attack/fair until certain percents. Downthrow is better for higher percents. (I like to kick out a can as soon as I'm finished and hope they jump away from it and over me to uair)

Can >< Gunmen > Clay pigeon

(While on the ledge against during an edgeguard) Can > Gunmen > Charged Fsmash/Aerial
When the opponent is recovering, get to the ledge and kick the can out. Then immediately make gunmen, he drops from the ledge and keep the can hovering above his trajectory. (or let it drop if it's a super low recovery) This covers more options than just kicking the can out and doesn't really let you miss out on timing if you were already on or near the ledge.

*Charged fsmash doesn't work well against much of the cast. Slow, hovery recoveries like kirby, R.O.B. and the like are where it shines as you can manipulate their trajectory most and it's dangerous take them on off-stage.

*This annoys Ness because he needs to avoid both his pk thunder hitting the can or gunmen, but also his body and losing momentum.

-The short fat bro has a wider hitbox. His shots can hit people hanging on the ledge.

Anti-Pressure: On the stage, they're good for dealing with dubious option characters like sheik or greninja who can either rush you down or pick at you with projectiles. Helps remove some of their options for a bit to give you time to set-up for the right approach.

Off-stage, not really too great but worth mentioning. When you're recovering, often you need to put out a hitbox to protect you during your harmless upb. The can is usually ideal for this but sometimes it's stuck on the stage, gunmen can make a good makeshift in this case. Just release him while you're high-ish so he'd be stage level after falling, this locks them on the stage long enough to mess with their timing hopefully.
Added and credited your stuff, thanks for the input.

Though I disagree with the FSmash as an edgeguard for most of the cast, I think the rest of what you said are very valid points worth considering.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Duck Hunt 39% Combo

FH Gunmen may have potential, either way thought this was cool despite Bowser hitting me lol. Was trying to get a 0 to death, there's likely better options then dair.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Like the move Foresight in the Pokemon games, it's not about getting the hit eventually, but using the delay to your advantage.)
I know this is nitpicking but I think that you might mean Future Sight because Foresight does take full effect as soon as it is used, unlike Future Sight which does have a delay.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I know this is nitpicking but I think that you might mean Future Sight because Foresight does take full effect as soon as it is used, unlike Future Sight which does have a delay.
AND THAT'S WHY YOU'RE A NERD.

Nah just teasing, I'll edit it! I did indeed mean future sight, not foresight (which I think lets you hit Ghost types with normal and fighting types moves). Think I got them confused because I know the text when you use future sight says something like "Your pokemon foresaw an attack!"

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
Set-Ups

Gunmen > Grab > Pummel > Downthrow/Foward Throw > Fair/Dash Attack
This is probably one of the safest ways to approach someone on the ground, since it covers many options. If they shield, grab. They attack, they will be shot. Whiffed attacks just mean as soon as they are popped-up by gunmen, and immediate Fair.
I had a DH brutalize me with this technique in a mirror. There might be a way to neutralize it, but it's certainly not something immediately obvious.

And once you're getting juggled, it's really annoying to get back down.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Example Videos (By Player) Feel free to suggest your own!

Wispy
http://youtu.be/ROvmAEQbIsw (vs Ike)

http://youtu.be/q-BnL7SDTqA (vs Zelda)

http://youtu.be/mz0AYGtwivA (vs Robin)
From your videos, it defiantly seems like Gunman make DH really good against a camping Robin. If they do Archfire, they get hit. If they are charging Thunder, they have to block. it really forces Robin to come at you which may mean wasting the Levin Sword. It will likely work against other characters like Samus. You could also use them like Villager's Loid. Throw out a gunman, and run for a grab. They either take your Gunman or the grab.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I use it for spacing. Also I try to use the Gunmen on players who like to stay on the ground so then they are forced to go into the air so I can use the can or do a forward or back air.

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Ive noticed some players will dash attack or ftilt early if you have the gunman out, but that might have just been me playing against people not used to duck hunt

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Ive noticed some players will dash attack or ftilt early if you have the gunman out, but that might have just been me playing against people not used to duck hunt
Some people do dash attack or tilt to destroy the gunmen, but If you are right behind it you can shield and grab

Tyler Jenson

Smash Rookie
A short hop b-reverse is a good way to punish when you expect an early dash attack, you'll usually be able to catch someone off guard with it and follow up with a fair.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Uh, not sure if its mentioned, but I was playing some Dunkhunt on for glory just because and I think one of the best uses for the gunmen is to shield against spammy lucario's and mewtows. A very good use I would say. Although I do recognise theres more to the gunmen than meat shields.

Next time I play him I'll place them a bit below the ledge as a mean to ruin recoveries.

Top Bottom