• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thou Shalt Not Sleep On The Kid, Part 2: C9.Mang0 Wins EVO 2014

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Mango, you are undoubtedly the best at Melee right now, but damn, I need to give props to Hbox, Axe, and even Fly. Hbox, showing us why he is part of the top 5. Axe, with that amazing 4-stock. And Fly, doing really well against PP without any wobbling.

Overall an amazing tournament.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Mango, you are undoubtedly the best at Melee right now, but damn, I need to give props to Hbox, Axe, and even Fly. Hbox, showing us why he is part of the top 5. Axe, with that amazing 4-stock. And Fly, doing really well against PP without any wobbling.

Overall an amazing tournament.
I always liked Fly.

With a lot of IC players, you can tell that they rely on wobble set-ups, and their play revolves around it completely. Once Nana is knocked out, wobble ICs have weak SoPos, so experienced players expose them easily and work to isolate Popo quickly to close the match.

Fly is what I would call a true IC player, and unlike others, his SoPo is strong enough to take off stocks.

If he didn't slip up on Pokemon Stadium, I think he would've beat PPMD.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Grats to him and all, but seriously where/how did this "thou shalt not sleep on the kid" thing start? Am I missing something annoying or did the guy to write this articles just take it upon himself to come up with an annoying headline?

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Honestly glad that it wasn't yet another mango/armada grand finals. Amazing play by mango, axe, and especially Hbox, beating armada TWICE. Amazing evo this year.

D

Deleted member

This gives me faith as a player

Seriously, what a legend. I'm striving to become the best some day in this game, and this man gives me so much inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:

SiggyCertified

Smash Rookie
Absolutely stellar tournament. HBox fan all the way. AXE is a monster. As for Armada, we could see the obvious disappointment, especially for someone who travels as far as he does, but I'll say this: You're a beast, keep ya chin up, and don't dare be down on yourself. Once again, great tourney.

Husseller

Smash Rookie
Yorktown VA/ Virginia Tech/Shenandoah University
CONGRATS MANGO!

Mango certainly clutched it and proved he was the best. He certainly has a grasp on the game that no one else has, including the rest of the big five.

That being said, major props to Hbox for keeping up with the tournament scene while going to college full-time and having a job/internship this summer. In my opinion that limit on practice time makes his 2nd place at EVO even more significant.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Grats to him and all, but seriously where/how did this "thou shalt not sleep on the kid" thing start? Am I missing something annoying or did the guy to write this articles just take it upon himself to come up with an annoying headline?
At MLG Mang0 game a speech where he said many people were probably underestimating him because of his recent return. And then he said something like "Rule #1: Thou shall not sleep on the kid". Maybe it's older than that... But that's where I heard Mango say it.

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
I feel so bad for Armada. I've been telling HBOX for a while to man up and use Puff against AR's YL. Poor Armada is so much better but just can't beat Hbox now that he started using puff again. On the last stock of Armada vs. Hbox I said: "If Hbox takes this stock, Mang0 is going to win EVO. There is no way on God's green earth that Hbox is going to beat Mang0 twice in a row."

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
I really wanted HugS to win but it was an awesome GF. Well done to Mang0 and a huge THANK YOU to Prog!

*he retweeted, replied and favourited on of my tweets, I feel honored xD

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
DUAL EVO TROPHY PICS INCOMING.
Mango is gonna have to buy a second stroller for them.

I think we can say he's just simply the best player of all time.
Best Melee player of all time for sure. IMO. I can't wait to see who comes out and owns at Smash 4.

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who didn't believe in Hungrybox being one of the 5 gods can take a seat, he's proven he's still one.

Much love to Prog, you were amazing behind the mic and always have been.
Here I am, taking a seat.

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to not put the winner in the title, just say full results inside for all those who couldn't catch the stream finals?

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I feel so bad for Armada. I've been telling HBOX for a while to man up and use Puff against AR's YL. Poor Armada is so much better but just can't beat Hbox now that he started using puff again. On the last stock of Armada vs. Hbox I said: "If Hbox takes this stock, Mang0 is going to win EVO. There is no way on God's green earth that Hbox is going to beat Mang0 twice in a row."
I really don't think Armada is "so much" better than Hbox. Just because due to a matchup there is one God Hbox has a brick wall with doesn't mean he's worse (or as you implied a lot worse) than Armada. He seemed to show great strides this tournament, taking 2 straight sets off the YL. However, like yourself, I knew Hbox wouldn't be beating Mango twice in a row in a 65-35 or 7-3 matchup at the pinnacle of melee play. That's why I was hoping that M2K (or Axe) would have beaten Mango in winners. Could have changed everything.

Last edited:

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
I really don't think Armada is "so much" better than Hbox. Just because due to a matchup there is one God Hbox has a brick wall with doesn't mean he's worse (or as you implied a lot worse) than Armada. He seemed to show great strides this tournament, taking 2 straight sets off the YL. However, like yourself, I knew Hbox wouldn't be beating Mango twice in a row in a 65-35 or 7-3 matchup at the pinnacle of melee play. That's why I was hoping that M2K (or Axe) would have beaten Mango in winners. Could have changed everything.
Saying that Armada is "just as good as Hbox" is just stupid honestly.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Reggie for best amusing but impressive speaker

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Saying that Armada is "just as good as Hbox" is just stupid honestly.
Honestly on what grounds? I think Armada is a bit better, but my main point there was that he said Armada is "so much better" implying a large difference in skill when there really isn't that large of one. If Hbox is finally over his Armada's YL issue, the difference between the two really becomes iffy and essentially comes down to Mango's Fox which thus gives Armada a slight edge. B/c Armada's peach can't beat Hbox for the same reason Hbox can't beat Mango's Fox. Their records vs the rest of the top 5 also gives Armada a slight edge, but it's really not a big gap, and that's the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Me personally, I don't like to put that term on people, but I feel he's definitely better than Ken over all. If this Mango went back in time to fight prime Ken, Mango would win IMO.
Not to bash Ken at all, but I think that any of the top 5 today could beat Ken in his prime. It's just that the metagame and the 20XX stuff has improved so much, that Ken wouldn't stand a chance.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Not to bash Ken at all, but I think that any of the top 5 today could beat Ken in his prime. It's just that the metagame and the 20XX stuff has improved so much, that Ken wouldn't stand a chance.
I agree. Much more of the game has been seen since then, which makes a big difference. Above all else though, Ken and the other top 5 would completely 4 stock me. :D

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
Honestly on what grounds? I think Armada is a bit better, but my main point there was that he said Armada is "so much better" implying a large difference in skill when there really isn't that large of one. If Hbox is finally over his Armada's YL issue, the difference between the two really becomes iffy and essentially comes down to Mango's Fox which thus gives Armada a slight edge. B/c Armada's peach can't beat Hbox for the same reason Hbox can't beat Mango's Fox. Their records vs the rest of the top 5 also gives Armada a slight edge, but it's really not a big gap, and that's the point I was trying to make.
Are you for real? Peach vs. Jigglypuff = Jigglypuff vs. Fox? Give me a ****ing break.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
eww... mango... ewwwwwwwwwww!

I hate mangos. They taste gross. Then they have orange juice mixed with mango juice that my mom always buys. More eww!

But Mango the smasher?? EWW. EWWEWEWEWEW I DUN LIKE MANGO

Top Bottom