• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Those epic close calls

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Ever get one of those moments where you just barely accomplish something by the skin of your teeth?

I was playing Crazy Orders just recently, stretching how far I thought I could go. Often I get too greedy and fail, and this time almost became another statistic. I was mostly cruising through with Falco, with the exception of a few bad matches. I was getting cautious during the final minute. I thought if I stop getting metal match tickets, I should stop soon. Well, I had 20 seconds left on the clock, and no sign of a metal match. I nearly went for a giant match, but felt like it was going to be risky. Instead I opted for fighting a free-for-all match against 4 CPUs in Pac-Land. That was almost a big mistake....

I KO'd three of the CPUs just fine during my invincibility period, but Lucario was evading me. Sure enough, my invincibility ran out and I was vulnerable. I was nearly getting frustrated at swinging the bat and missing over and over. One of the fire hydrants nearly pushed me out of bounds during a swing, so I started throwing the bat at Lucario instead. It would hit, but not send him far enough. Then the announcer says "FIVE" and I'm starting to get nervous. FOUR. THREE. TWO. I throw the bat one last time in desperation. ONE. And sure enough Lucario hits the blast zone just in the nick of time! Whew. I don't plan on cutting it this close again anytime soon.

image.jpg

What are your stories of epic close calls in Smash?

Kraton9000

Smash Cadet
I was playing co-op all-star with my brother on hard: I was King Dedede and he was Luigi (we were trying to get the Clear All-Star on Hard with All Characters challenge). As you may or may not know, to keep things fair, in co-op all-star, if one player dies, you both fail. Thus, we were on Flat Zone X, after having killed everyone except Pac-Man. We had used up all of our heals and we were both well into the 150's, with numerous close calls (as a result of the walk-off stage) in that round alone. I had fat smacked (dash-attacked) G & W, in the hopes that Luigi could handle Pac-Man. Unfortunately, Pac grabbed Luigi and with a forward throw, launched him off. Yet, in that time, I ran towards them with another fat-smack and launched the Pac just after my borther was launched, as well. And so, with both of them having registered a red lightning flash, I could only wait with anticipation to see who died first.

But, considering the title of this thread, guess who ended up winning. :cool:

Top Bottom