• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Those danged lvl 9s!!

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Ok, its official. Lvl 9's are improved.

Now, i won't say HARDER, because they are only as hard as a computer can get; BUT they do use alot of previous melee techniques.

I was recovering in fall special and was just about to make the ledge when bowser specifically jumped of and grabbed the ledge, then rolled on stage as soon as i died.

Also, they keep short hopping everything, and whenever they are recovering from ledge, they shorthop some fast a attack or some b attacks (donkeys headbutt got me the first time)

also, i think i saw one dashdance once. I'm not sure though,as it was a team match, and was busy with the other guy.

So, yeah. What do you guys think?

fazares

Smash Apprentice
i barely can get 3-4 victories in hours...in ffa....i should quit selecting level 9 sonic...when he gets a smashball he kills everyone...everyone else....
ahh the days when i could easily dominate them in ssbm....this time it looks like they will help improve our game further....

Kreeeee

Smash Cadet
I think they're incredibly easy to beat. With 5 stock I never lose more than 1 life against them and their throws have less perfect timing than in melee. They also suicide far too much and have lost the melee "super shields".

I find them a lot easier than melee and they play in a more human style, making lots of mistakes.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
In one video, I saw Ct. Falcon SH Falcon Punch many times, and even do that thing that lets you repeat the first punch in the A-combo.

Sideem Slingh

Smash Journeyman
I don't find them short hopping a surprise now that Sakurai has officially announced 'small jumps' as a quick technique. But ledge hogging? I'm going to have to watch out with Zamus, or these comps'll get me good. Still, sounds a lot more exciting than what Melee had to offer. I can't wait.

Mada90

Smash Apprentice
One amazing thing is when Fox tries to edgeguard me with the shine,cpu is a lot more human now.
I wouldn't say they're much stronger tough.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I got thunderflipped by a lvl. 9 Pikachu. No joke.

Also, the main improvement is they no longer just blindly approach you. They seem more eager to spam projectiles and make you come to them, and when falling, they no longer DI towards you either.

Kruton

Smash Ace
CPU's in Melee did a SHFFL every not and then. I hated fighting CPU's in Melee, all of the characters ran on some pattern, it was annoying.

I'm glad CPU's have SOME know how now.

Smash Ace
I liked it when CPU's in melee accidentally did something awesome, such as shine-spiking me out of a falco phantasm. Maybe they can do things like that intentionally now.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
LV 9s are nerved.
Short hopping everywhere
Don't walk into Smashes anymore
I sent a MetaKnight flying. I stood near the edge. He just keeps using his jumps and kept a distance from me before he recovered. Melee CPUs always grab the ledge first moment.
Luigis uses UpBs to recover.
Always jumps of edges to edge-guard. Sometimes let go of the ledge (just like we did in Melee)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Level 9s are improved? Interesting. Although I still think it's better to improve your skills against other players.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I also saw in a few videos that computers now walljump to get out of tight spots, instead of just falling to their doom. I was hoping they would do that. :)

I'm also glad that they try to stay their distance now when they're about to die. Does anyone know if they still walk right into landmines? I haven't read the entire thread as I'm posting this, so I'll check if someone already answered my question. If not, pleas reply!

cormano

Smash Rookie
i'd just gotten a final smash with snake in a FFA with 3 lvl 9 cpus. once my final smash finished, all three of them were just standing completely still waiting for me to come back down, where they promptly ganged up on me.

i'm gonna have to say that they know what's going on.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
I also saw in a few videos that computers now walljump to get out of tight spots, instead of just falling to their doom. I was hoping they would do that. :)

I'm also glad that they try to stay their distance now when they're about to die. Does anyone know if they still walk right into landmines? I haven't read the entire thread as I'm posting this, so I'll check if someone already answered my question. If not, pleas reply!
Not entirely.
they shield before it explodes !

they also roll alot.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I reckon theyd b fine on traditional style stages. I saw a match on a custom stage of saffron city from SSB64 and all they didnt seem to have a problem.

I reckon it'd b cool if there were strategy patches for level 9 computers that would be updated every so often, so they made decisions that the more advanced players would.
But its not at all likely an im not even sure if its possible, I dont know a lot about designing games.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They're still twits. Less twitty than in Melee but twittier than CPUs on the highest setting in other fighting games. At least Peach dsmashes now. Too bad the dsmash sucks now.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Wow, it sounds like they actually grew spines in this game! Although I remember one user on here saying that you could "select Metaknight, tape down A, and go make a sandwich" and you'd still win. So some flaws are still in them I guess. This upgrade is nice though. What really frustrated me about Melee was that if you play 1-P Mode on Very Hard, the computers are MUCH harder than their Melee Mode Level 9 counterparts. I still don't understand why the top Melee computer level is worse than the top 1-P computer level (what that may be, like 12 or something). If I ever wanted a somewhat decent match, I had to go into 1-P mode, but then I have no level choice or opponent choice and items are always on. So I didn't usually do that. Anyways the point of this rant was to just say that I am excited for the upgraded computer players!

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
I think thats pretty cool. Now if noones around to play brawl with me, I could train with the cpu's :]

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
its awesome that cpus are better, its just another milestone that uv overcomed a lvl 9 and their easy for you to beat.

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
I hope they don't still wet themselves everytime a pokeball hits the stage. I swear, you could be on the lower pedestal at Temple, and a **** ball could hit the top shelf of the tower... They'd be on it like Donkey Kong.

Loveless

Smash Rookie
This is all nice to hear, coming from a not too competitive enviroment (just have couple friends come over for melee). Since I am not trusting my internet connection for practice, hopefully the cpu's are improved and can get some practice in when my friends aren't over.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Wow, it sounds like they actually grew spines in this game! Although I remember one user on here saying that you could "select Metaknight, tape down A, and go make a sandwich" and you'd still win. So some flaws are still in them I guess. This upgrade is nice though. What really frustrated me about Melee was that if you play 1-P Mode on Very Hard, the computers are MUCH harder than their Melee Mode Level 9 counterparts. I still don't understand why the top Melee computer level is worse than the top 1-P computer level (what that may be, like 12 or something). If I ever wanted a somewhat decent match, I had to go into 1-P mode, but then I have no level choice or opponent choice and items are always on. So I didn't usually do that. Anyways the point of this rant was to just say that I am excited for the upgraded computer players!
I may be totally wrong in this. But I think increasing your difficulty in single player actually gave buffs to the computer players, as well as making them smarter. I don't think they were ever any smarter than Lvl 9's in vs. But the CPU's in 1 player could be operating with essentially a buffed character, so of course they'd be harder than a vs. mode CPU working with the normal character.

FMArthur

Smash Cadet
I'm happy to see how 'human' the new AI seems. It actually performs well because of built-in strategies and tactics now, not perfect timing. It looks like, for the most part, practising with AI can actually prepare you to fight halfway-competent players, unlike Melee's AI.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, AI is one of the biggest changes in Brawl, they're way more human than melee's CPUs. Now they have some understanding of spacing, and instead of just running and DIing straight towards you, they'll try and manouver themselves into a better position. They shieldgrab now, edgeguard, shorthop, jump-cancel, and I even saw a fox multishining in the air. I'm really glad they don't have the retardedly good powershielding and SDI of melee CPUs, they're way more fun to fight now.

pirkid

Smash Lord
LV 9s are nerved.
Short hopping everywhere
Don't walk into Smashes anymore
I sent a MetaKnight flying. I stood near the edge. He just keeps using his jumps and kept a distance from me before he recovered. Melee CPUs always grab the ledge first moment.
Luigis uses UpBs to recover.
Always jumps of edges to edge-guard. Sometimes let go of the ledge (just like we did in Melee)
Nerved? (Nerfed?)

You mean buffed. They're much better, which pleases me, because some people are having a hard time with level 6s. :dizzy:

Top Bottom