• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This has probably been asked before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

null55

Smash Master
I looked around, but I'm 99% sure that someone has made this a topic simply because it's kind of a nooby question that I could imagine at least one person asking. OK, so here 'goes.

I use Y to jump... not X. Bad, good, doesn't matter, what? :ohwell:

D13

Smash Ace
Doesn't really matter, use whatever feels best to you. I use the x button, myself.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
*facepalm*

Don't just hop on the bandwagon and let other people influence your choices. Play however you want to play. Heck, use the b button for jumping if you want too. As long as it works out for YOU. Hope you listen to my information.

null55

Smash Master
Yeah, I knew I was going to get a response like that, but I can't help but think that if the majority of people use the X button, is it better? Are you able to reach other buttons more quickly? It really doesn't seem that way when I think about it, but I was just trying to see if anyone truly has a definitive answer based on experimentation, or a reputable source.

It was just the one I first tried. I can change it to X with practice, if it is the better alternative, so what feels best to me is definitely less of a priority if it hinders my game in any way.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yeah, I knew I was going to get a response like that, but I can't help but think that if the majority of people use the X button, is it better? Are you able to reach other buttons more quickly? It really doesn't seem that way when I think about it, but I was just trying to see if anyone truly has a definitive answer based on experimentation, or a reputable source.

It was just the one I first tried. I can change it to X with practice, if it is the better alternative, so what feels best to me is definitely less of a priority if it hinders my game in any way.
If you want some detailed info, then I will give you some. I use the Y button to jump because I don't use the tip of my thumb to hit the A and B buttons. I do however use the tip of my thumb to hit the Y button, making it easier for my thumb to hit the A button with the center of my thumb. If I used the X button to jump, it would make it difficult to hit the A button with the center of my thumb. Basically what I am saying is that I can jump and attack without moving my thumb at all, but using the X button to jump requires more thumb motion.

I hope you understood all of that lol. :laugh:

Lovely

Smash Lord
You could make X be grab or block. That's what I did with the Classic and GC controller.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I often use up on the analog stick to jump. Crazy I know. Comes from playing Melee Fox too long. I use Y as well. It depends on the situation. There are lots of different ways of using controllers. There are actually some extremely good Melee players who clawed while playing Melee which I find to be terribly difficult and uncomfortable. It's all about what works for you.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Y button = jump
X button = shield

(This is the GC controller I'm talking about).

Hoff

Smash Cadet
It's funny actually. I'm under the impression that most people use X to jump. I always used Y. All tutorial vids for Melee displayed wavedashing with the X + R combination and I used Y + L and it never made a difference. It REALLY doesn't matter. But tap jumping takes away a bit of air control out of your jump and is harder to short hop with, so that's a disadvantage to that.

null55

Smash Master
It REALLY doesn't matter. But tap jumping takes away a bit of air control out of your jump and is harder to short hop with, so that's a disadvantage to that.

What.

And wow, I may take that advice on using X for shield or grab. Interesting.

Yeah, and I do pretty much the same thing you do Real Gamer, my confidence was just sort of diluted by the fact I was assuming most of the pros used the X button to jump, so there had to be some sort of advantage with it (I have no idea what the self-contradictory quote above is talking about). For me it's just too awkwardly to right on my controller, so if it really doesn't make a difference, I'm glad I don't have to sacrifice time to completely change the way my thumb moves.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I use L-trigger to jump... *stared at*

Seriously... Its because i started brawl with the Wii Mote and Nun-chuck to get a new feel and i decided to switch back to the GC controller and i felt a need to jump with my left hand...

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
*sniff*...we're like brothers... *tears of joy*

I use the Y button, too! YAY FOR US!
The X button feels weird to me. Y button FTW!

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I use L-trigger to jump... *stared at*

Seriously... Its because i started brawl with the Wii Mote and Nun-chuck to get a new feel and i decided to switch back to the GC controller and i felt a need to jump with my left hand...
Your jump comes faster using an analog button, just so you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom