• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS This game doesn't even have an intro...

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Not sure if this was pointed out already.

It just takes you straight to the title screen when you start the game, i am somewhat disappointed by this. As all previous installments have had fantastic opening cinematics (though Brawl's was lackluster because of reused SSE cutscenes).

I hope the Wii U version will still have one.

Your thoughts?

D

Deleted Member

It's likely to save space on the cart. SSE cutscenes took up a good chunk of Brawl's disc space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Its absence is odd, though all it really means is there's one less button press between me and fights, so it's alright.

I imagine the U version will have one. When you think about it, it's kinda rare for 3DS games in general to have intros.

R0Y

Smash Master
Wii U will after Melee and Brawl, rare for 3DS games to have lots of FMV's and it can't do them justice.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Its absence is odd, though all it really means is there's one less button press between me and fights, so it's alright.

I imagine the U version will have one. When you think about it, it's kinda rare for 3DS games in general to have intros.
Yep, watching it that one time and the extra ware on the skip button isn't really worth the space on the cartridge.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That's not the point i was trying to make, but ok. Whatever floats your poptart boat. .-.
I know well what point you were trying to make, but the lack of intro doesn't really bother me. I don't think I ever watched Brawl's intro.

If anything, I would complain about the absurd limitation of two music tracks per stage.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I know well what point you were trying to make, but the lack of intro doesn't really bother me. I don't think I ever watched Brawl's intro.

If anything, I would complain about the absurd limitation of two music tracks per stage.
That kinda bugs me as well, as the full game's size turned out to be 2.1 GB. A 3DS cart can hold up to 8 at most, there were plenty of space they could've used. Maybe more music tracks will be added as future DLC?

R0Y

Smash Master
That kinda bugs me as well, as the full game's size turned out to be 2.1 GB. A 3DS cart can hold up to 8 at most, there were plenty of space they could've used. Maybe more music tracks will be added as future DLC?
3DS version is cheaper. Larger cards are more expensive.

Don't be sad when the Wii U version gets an intro and more stages as well. Nintendo is a business.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I know about it, the remaining unused memory is most likely doing to be used for DLC.

No. 3DS cards don't work that way. Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC went to your SD card for exampleThere's a little room left for saves but that's it. The original Japanese advertising leak had a false storage requirement. The game requires only 9320 blocks, might vary slightly by region.

Dan

Smash Lord
You could tell a lot of areas where they were trying to save memory, or maybe they were just being lazy. Like remember these things?:

Instead we get the same generic Classic completed for every character. Melee even had videos for these.

The game feels unfinished, and even too generic in some areas, though I wonder if this is because of the 3DS' limited memory.

Last edited:

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
I agree 100% that the game feels unfinished, I'm really hoping it's because of limitations on the 3DS.

Dan

Smash Lord
The fact that they brought over the same sound effects from Brawl irks me too.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You could tell a lot of areas where they were trying to save memory, or maybe they were just being lazy. Like remember these things?:

Instead we get the same generic Classic completed for every character. Melee even had videos for these.

The game feels unfinished, and even generic in some areas, though I wonder if this is because of the 3DS' limited memory.
Well, you're able to complete a picture that goes along with the character by smashing the credits.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
The Wii U version will have one. There's no way those few unique cinematic clips for each franchise with the animated logos was made just for a Direct. It makes perfect sense, the 3DS version would have been really compressed.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Which is funny, because the KIU has two or three. The one that always plays on startup, and the rest after sitting on the title screen.

Saving it for the real version, no worries.
You mean the version that was tossed in after Iwata asked Sakurai?

R0Y

Smash Master
Which is funny, because the KIU has two or three. The one that always plays on startup, and the rest after sitting on the title screen.
The exception does not make the rule, even if it's the only other 3DS game Sakurai has been involved in. Virtually all the other developers are different for one.

You mean the version that was tossed in after Iwata asked Sakurai?

Are you seriously pretending like Nintendo would not have withheld funding if Sakurai refused to make a version for Nintendo's next home console? It's still his baby and the POTD's have been putting more attention on it.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Maybe they're saving the intro for the Wii-U version, it'd make sense to me if they want to go for a CGI opening like the character trailers.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The exception does not make the rule, even if it's the only other 3DS game Sakurai has been involved in. Virtually all the other developers are different for one.

Are you seriously pretending like Nintendo would not have withheld funding if Sakurai refused to make a version for Nintendo's next home console? It's still his baby and the POTD's have been putting more attention on it.
It's just a little observation...

Considering that it was going to be 3DS only for quite a while, yeah. And Sakurai has said it's mostly Wii U screens because they're HD. Besides, people associate the Wii U screens with SSB3D because of this, leaving a better impression.

Hank Scorpio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hail2DThief
3DS FC
2036-7953-4724
I would have loved an intro but really after watching the first time I would just skip it every other time. I hope they used the saved up space for something else beneficial to the gameplay like Smash Run online...oohh wait :awesome:

And like how everyone else have said it most likely will be in the Wii U version.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

The only 3DS game I remember having an intro in Fire Emblem Awakening.

R0Y

Smash Master
It's just a little observation...

Considering that it was going to be 3DS only for quite a while, yeah. And Sakurai has said it's mostly Wii U screens because they're HD. Besides, people associate the Wii U screens with SSB3D because of this, leaving a better impression.
Smash was announced for both 3DS and Wii U at E3 2011.

Project Sora and Sakurai were still working on Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sakurai and Bandai Namco couldn't have already been making Smash 3DS. It was just an idea at that point that Sakurai was talked out of.

R0Y

Smash Master
They could have just mashed together all of the character reveal intros and played the smash theme song!
They could have but I bet they're saving them all entirely for the Wii U version. I mean, the screen resolution on the 3DS is very low and we are finding out now that the game is only a little over a gigabyte (not 2.1 GB as that Japanese advertising had given out.) They want it to be a small, neat download. As it is there is at least one FMV in the game, the how-to play demo.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Pretty positive the Wii U one will have an intro. The videos were made in HD, for HD presentation. The 3DS could've played them, but they would've just been compressed to hell and back.

In case you forgot, Sakurai also said all of the cutscenes they made for the reveal trailers would be "already unlocked" in the final game. Guess what's not in the 3DS version?

The game feels unfinished, and even too generic in some areas, though I wonder if this is because of the 3DS' limited memory.
SSB4 has ending pics. You have to actually play the credits minigame to see them though. The streamers kept skipping the credits (understandably so), and as a result, you never saw any pictures except really early on.

Top Bottom