• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This Commentary is NOT OK. PLZ let's agree this is unacceptable

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXvbdKbD-as
The latest EMG video had some really cool plays.

However the commentary absolutely killed the hype. I hate when something cool starts to happen and all the commentators do is shout "OH!! OH MY GOD! THAT WAS DISGUSTING!!!"

It's just really stupid and ruins the quality of streams. What's kind of frustrating is that this problem would be really easy to fix. I should mention that Smash On Tap was at a bar so everyone might have been drunk but that isn't much of an excuse. Anyways this is a problem for plenty of tournaments that aren't at bars.

It seems like we could get better commentary if people would just call commentators out for shouting while on mic. They deserve to be scolded for ruining the stream and should never commentate again if they can't control themselves. There may not be any clear guidelines for good commentary but maybe we can at least have guidelines for what NOT to do.

Maybe I shouldn't hate so much since I find it OK when D1 yells "Destruction!!!" and I also think the WOMBO COMBO!!!! video is hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD_imYhNoQ4

Well what does everyone else think? Am I overreacting? Or does anyone else get annoyed when commentators ruin the hypest moments of smash?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Wow, I can't believe the commentators are verbally expressing their excitement and hype for a hype-inducing action that occurred on stream. That should be designated to the spectators only, right.
I sure do hate when I'm watching sports and the commentators aren't being monotonous and professional when one team scores a game changing point.

Shouting induces hype. It's one thing if the mic quality is terrible and only causes ear-grating static, but viewers are more prone to pick up on the excitement when it's coming from the people commenting over the match. Literally that fox / jiggs team combo in your video link wouldn't be as exciting to witness if the people around you were only nodding and whispering "nice" to themselves.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
This IS a fast-paced fighting game, yknow.
I think wrestling/football-levels of yelling commentary are a lot more fitting than golf claps and the really unsettling thin-voiced "good play from -blank-"

Cheeks

Smash Rookie
NNID
will update!
You ever watch any televised sport before? American football, hockey, mma, world football (soccer), boxing, etc: the professional commentators on all major sports go ape**** when someone makes an outstanding play. This last year was the first time I actually watched more smash tournaments than football or mma. Whether its a high level match or a couple of scrubs going at it, a couple of hype commentators with good CHEMISTRY will always raise the entertainment level. I remember watching one match between two horribly novice players but because the commentators' sense of humor and loud hype, it actually got me excited to see which scrub would edge out the other one. High energy, loud hype (for good plays) and quick tempo commentary is a MUST for esports viewership just like any other televised sport (even golf has its loud hype moments).

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
and all the commentators do is shout "OH!! OH MY GOD! THAT WAS DISGUSTING!!!"
Um, you posted a link to a highlight reel. In 98% of cases, there's some calm level of commentary before and after such hype moments. But since each little snippet was a highlight, all you're getting is the commentator hype.

And there is nothing wrong with it. I like that commentators are passionate about the game, and when really crazy stuff happens, they get excited. Plus, if you look at the layout of most of those highlights, you'll see that it's top 8 action. Let's say a Captain Falcon d-air spikes someone for a KO to close out a match. If it's two unknown players early in pools who just happened to end up on stream, then it's like, "And that's the game." If that's the move that closes out grand finals, someone on the mic is gonna go nuts.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Wow you guys don't agree with me at all. Whatever I'll stop complaining and just start watching tournaments on mute.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
That's commentating in a nutshell. It adds life and personality to big moments. The same occurs in professional sports commentating.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You don't like it and therefore it's bad and unacceptable and should stop.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Geez did I offend you guys? I was just trying to get people's attention.
Here is an example of what I consider great commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwigvX4Cglw

Can't we at least agree that we prefer this kind of commentary?
Literally nothing hype is happening in that video. Can you at least acknowledge the difference between a highlight reel showcasing actual moments where cool things happened that was worthy of commentators shouting and a regular set.

Last edited:

Cheeks

Smash Rookie
NNID
will update!
Geez did I offend you guys? I was just trying to get people's attention.
Here is an example of what I consider great commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwigvX4Cglw

Can't we at least agree that we prefer this kind of commentary?
You said in the original post that you dont mind D1 yelling in excitement and homemadewaffles didn't bother you in the wombo combo clip. Something else is triggering you. The sound of certain voices when they get loud? Certain personalities getting annoying once they get hyped up? Theres no telling but it obviously bothers you alot. You might want to mute the video and play your favorite music in a new tab.

Top Bottom