• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This character is broken

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
All his aerias were great on brawl, and now they got ALL buffed, amazing combos with little effort, jab finisher, better recovery. This surely makes up for the worse banana.

This concerns me. When i play him i feel that this game was made for him. Same for ZSS.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Without multiple reusable bananas and glide tossing, Diddy has to work harder to actually start these
"easy" combos. And it's not like they drastically increased his KO power.

Diddy is fast and has fast moves. OF COURSE he combos better than some other fighters.

ZSS's potential is somewhat exaggerated if we're only looking at her Invitational win.

So you combo well with Diddy and ZSS. Is this really a bad thing?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
you can jct instead of glidetoss to gain similar results. only diddy's aggression has been nerfd, but his camp and punish game is on point in smash 4.

banana in front and peanut strat is still the most broken camp strategy next to double lazer side b, planking upairs, etc.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Faced Leffen playing Diddy in For Glory earlier and he just destroyed me with the combo game.

And I've faced other great Diddy players as well, defo one of the tougher match-ups I have had so far. I'd much rather face a Bowser, Robin or Little Mac than Diddy.

All his aerias were great on brawl, and now they got ALL buffed, amazing combos with little effort, jab finisher, better recovery. This surely makes up for the worse banana.

This concerns me. When i play him i feel that this game was made for him. Same for ZSS.
Saw your short post in the metagame thread and you said that Diddy is the new "Meta Knight"

Are you implying that Diddy is so broken that he's banworthy? This early? Only reason why I'm asking this is because you brought up Meta Knight.

His combo game is great (one of the best). I don't know how having a great combo game equates to being broken.

Last edited:

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
He's broken because he can escape all hitstun with a peanut gun cancel.

Everything else is fine, although he does seem to be one of the strongest characters in the game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Eh, he is good but is not as broken as he was in Brawl. In that game you could follow up a dash with an Up Smash, and this time around he can only have one banana on the field and it disappears if the opponent slips on it twice (not sure on this one).

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
He suffers in the recovery aspect ive noticed. His moves/jumps have distance but theyre funky and easily screw you over.

Any idea how many times ive used UpB and exploded on the wall instead of grabbing the ledge? or for that matter, side-B and for some reason not grabbing the ledge at all and just freefalling to my death (without kicking, as i know kick ignores the ledge).

Provided i can monkey around you (badum-tsssh) enough to avoid being slammed off the platform, hes crazy strong. Get him over the pit and now he cant fight since he has to use his 2nd jump and a well-timed upB to recover. if he tries to push you away when you come after him, he cant get back.

And his A-combo is the only one thats REALLY easy to get out of before the final punch is thrown.

Hes not OP/broken at all. He just has an imbalanced moveset ratio - crazy good in some areas, pathetically bad in others, no middle grounds.

EDIT: on the banana note, i find it a buff not a nerf. The Brawl bananas were only good if you spammed them and just constantly threw them around/edgehogged with them. 3DS bananas cant do this since you only have one, theyre easier to pick up, and they vanish after being slipped on once (or thrown twice). However that one hit they do is wayyyy stronger and more effective - throwing a banana into a dash attack or up-smash is VERY easy to pull off and deadly.
Just wish he pulled the banana out and held it rather than tossing it aside. Takes awhile to grab the dang thing lol

Last edited:

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Diddy is not one of the broken characters. I'd give that title right now to Rosalina and Luma (Sheik a close second) because of how down-b works for them. Playing as Diddy against her was a nightmare. Bananas immediately nullified and approaching was nigh impossible.

And as Dsull said, recovering with Diddy can be tricky. I've hit the sweetspot a few times just to bounce to my death.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
He suffers in the recovery aspect ive noticed. His moves/jumps have distance but theyre funky and easily screw you over.

Any idea how many times ive used UpB and exploded on the wall instead of grabbing the ledge? or for that matter, side-B and for some reason not grabbing the ledge at all and just freefalling to my death (without kicking, as i know kick ignores the ledge).
I have had the same problem with Diddy. I go to recover with Up B and I hit the side of the wall and bounce off. This is probably my biggest complaint about Diddy; his Up B is just wacky.

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
I have had the same problem with Diddy. I go to recover with Up B and I hit the side of the wall and bounce off. This is probably my biggest complaint about Diddy; his Up B is just wacky.
Is there any way to predict when it'll do that? I've hit the sweet spot (or at least I thought I did) directly and it still bounced me off. It's pretty ridiculous when you SD while trying to edgeguard because your recovery's broken.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Imo his jab is really annoying. You have to wait FOREVER to be able to do something out of jab1. I always used jab to grab in Brawl and now I always jab1 to jab1 to jab1 and it never ends... still have to get used to that.

Also the 3rd jab hit (kick) takes a little while so some can just shield that. And the tail finisher also takes a while to come out so even if you have them in your tailcombo they can still shield the final hit.

Kick to tail jabs also doesn't combo that great.

And lastly the kick and last tail finisher both have a lot of lag so you can always get punished for using them.

It's pretty sad. At least dtilt makes for a good alternative.

Last edited:

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
His Up B doesn't crash against the edge if you angle it right. Never curve it to be angled horizontally towards the stage, it'll often kill you. If on an Omega stage that has a side going straight down like Tomodachi Life, fire at a 180 degree angle, going up against the side of the stage. If it's an Omega stage that has a curved underneath like Arena Ferox, just fire straight up when underneath of the stage, or again at an 180 degree angle if not directly beneath it. If Diddy can charge a full Rocket Barrel Boost, he can generally recover from anywhere, no matter how close to the blastzone he is. The full length of the boost travels around 120% of the width of Final Destination, and is unsafe for people to edgeguard against because the barrel will fly of and do huge damage if it hits them. Overall the Monkey Flip combined with his ability to Wall Cling is a much safer recovery in most cases, but Rocket Barrel can be used to mix things up if you're opponent is very good at reading your recovery.

Top Bottom