• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This blog will help me pick a new main character.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Link to original post: [drupal=5400]This blog will help me pick a new main character.[/drupal]

I had an idea today. If I write down all the things I like and dislike about the characters in brawl, it can help me pick a new main character. I have mained MK and Zelda since I started playing brawl. I gave up on Zelda because she is a terrible character and I dont like having to approach with her easily punishable moves. I picked up Lucario in the summer after watching Trela play at Sktar on the stream. I liked Lucario for about a month and then he became boring. I wanted another main character to use with metaknight so I picked up Falco and was unsuccessful. I am not good at camping with him and I always forget about his ability to camp so I always approach with him. I now use metaknight most of the time and use Lucario and Falco for fun and I am looking for a new main character to replace Lucario and Falco. I will try to write down the positive and negetative things I think about each character and I will review the list of a few times and will try to pick a new main character. If I know there is no way I will use a character I won't include that character in the list.

Olimar
N(negatives)- I am easily juggled when I use metaknight so this problem might be worse with Olimar. I am not good at camping because I have no experience with it.
P(positives)- I love his grab game and his ability to kill early
Diddy Kong
N - I have a very hard time killing my oppnents with him, but I might improve at this If i get more diddy kong experience. I dont really like his aerial moveset.
P - I have some experience using him and know his moveset and glidetossing/banana combo's.
Wario
N - I dont like his range and his down b.
P - I love his air speed.
Zero Suit Samus
I like her a lot but she is so different from the characters I use so it will take a long time to get used to her moveset.
Toon Link
N - Im not good at camping, but I can improve at it through experience.
P - I like his projectiles and moveset.
Wolf
I barely know anything about wolf, but I know his moveset and watched high level players using him many times.
Fox
N - It would take a long time to get comfortable with him.
P - I like his speed, lasers, and ko ability.
Peach
N - I would have to change my controller settings to float easier. I would probably stale her kill moves so quickly. I dont want to go to training mode every day before using her.
P - I like her ability to pressure opponents. She has a good grab game which is very important to me.
R.O.B.
N - One of my biggest problems is being juggled easily and the problem would be much worse if I used Rob. I have a hard time getting the kill on high level players and rob would make this problem worse too, even If i become a much better player, he still doesn't kill early.
P - I like his moveset and glide tossing.
Ness
N - I dont like his up b recovery or the grab release combo's.
P - I really like that he can kill early every time and I love his fair.
Pokémon Trainer
N - I dont like charizard and Ivysaur's recovery would annoy me a lot. Squirtles air speed is the opposite of mk's so it would take a long time to get used to. I dont think there are any videos of top level players who main pt.
P - I like squirtles speed and ivysaurs defensive moveset.
Lucas
N - I use grabs a lot, and his grab is very slow and Im asumming it cant be used as an out of shield option which I do a lot with mk, I probably could get used to it.
P -I've used lucas a few times before and liked him even though I dont know how to play as him at all.
Jigglypuff
N - I dont know a lot about jigglypuff, but I read that she has a hard time killing if her ko move is stale. This is a big problem for me. I dont think there are any videos of top level players who main jigglypuff.
P - I think she is a good character for baiting and punshing. I use this strategy when my regular playstyle isn't working well.

I might add more later.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Link to original post: [drupal=5400]This blog will help me pick a new main character.[/drupal]

I had an idea today. If I write down all the things I like and dislike about the characters in brawl, it can help me pick a new main character. I have mained MK and Zelda since I started playing brawl. I gave up on Zelda because she is a terrible character and I dont like having to approach with her easily punishable moves. I picked up Lucario in the summer after watching Trela play at Sktar on the stream. I liked Lucario for about a month and then he became boring. I wanted another main character to use with metaknight so I picked up Falco and was unsuccessful. I am not good at camping with him and I always forget about his ability to camp so I always approach with him. I now use metaknight most of the time and use Lucario and Falco for fun and I am looking for a new main character to replace Lucario and Falco. I will try to write down the positive and negetative things I think about each character and I will review the list of a few times and will try to pick a new main character. If I know there is no way I will use a character I won't include that character in the list.

Olimar
N(negatives)- I am easily juggled when I use metaknight so this problem might be worse with Olimar. I am not good at camping because I have no experience with it.
P(positives)- I love his grab game and his ability to kill early
Diddy Kong
N - I have a very hard time killing my oppnents with him, but I might improve at this If i get more diddy kong experience. I dont really like his aerial moveset.
P - I have some experience using him and know his moveset and glidetossing/banana combo's.
Wario
N - I dont like his range and his down b.
P - I love his air speed.
Zero Suit Samus
I like her a lot but she is so different from the characters I use so it will take a long time to get used to her moveset.
Toon Link
N - Im not good at camping, but I can improve at it through experience.
P - I like his projectiles and moveset.
Wolf
I barely know anything about wolf, but I know his moveset and watched high level players using him many times.
Fox
N - It would take a long time to get comfortable with him.
P - I like his speed, lasers, and ko ability.
Peach
N - I would have to change my controller settings to float easier. I would probably stale her kill moves so quickly. I dont want to go to training mode every day before using her.
P - I like her ability to pressure opponents. She has a good grab game which is very important to me.
R.O.B.
N - One of my biggest problems is being juggled easily and the problem would be much worse if I used Rob. I have a hard time getting the kill on high level players and rob would make this problem worse too, even If i become a much better player, he still doesn't kill early.
P - I like his moveset and glide tossing.
Ness
N - I dont like his up b recovery or the grab release combo's.
P - I really like that he can kill early every time and I love his fair.
Pokémon Trainer
N - I dont like charizard and Ivysaur's recovery would annoy me a lot. Squirtles air speed is the opposite of mk's so it would take a long time to get used to. I dont think there are any videos of top level players who main pt.
P - I like squirtles speed and ivysaurs defensive moveset.
Lucas
N - I use grabs a lot, and his grab is very slow and Im asumming it cant be used as an out of shield option which I do a lot with mk, I probably could get used to it.
P -I've used lucas a few times before and liked him even though I dont know how to play as him at all.
Jigglypuff
N - I dont know a lot about jigglypuff, but I read that she has a hard time killing if her ko move is stale. This is a big problem for me. I dont think there are any videos of top level players who main jigglypuff.
P - I think she is a good character for baiting and punshing. I use this strategy when my regular playstyle isn't working well.

I might add more later.
Hehe, awesome to see my main and secondary in there as possible options (Lucas and ness respectively)! With Lucas, Pivot grab drastically reduces grab time, much like yoshi's. Also his playstyle mostly revolves around SH PKF at mid range. You can sometimes approach with Nair or even Fair... Other stuff comes naturally later, etc etc.

As for Ness, you can try air-breaking out of combo CGs but yea I agree this is pretty bad. In terms of his recovery, recovering from higher up makes it less likely to get gimped so easily, etc.

^ is shameless justification for both chars. :3

To make things fair though, Olimar is basically the how-to guide on camping. At it's most basic level, stand there and spam smashes. Also depending on the pikmin you can out-prioritize some juggling moves. Diddy's big killer I think is probs his Dsmash but he has some nice aerials as well to use when edgeguarding. DownB's tough with Wario but you can get some ranged attacks by smashing his bike and using the wheels. For general attacking your best bet is to use a safe-ish approach like Nair then use other stuff. Not sure about that one. ZSS is a very fun and unique char to use. Likely very rewarding if you can master her. TL takes time to get good with camping moves but for the most part have a bomb at the ready, throw the boomerang and spam arrows! ... ... Probably. Wolf is strong but acts lighter than he is, his attacks are great because they often involve more hits than one, etc, you know the drill... Peach is once again a unique char and I suspect her offstage game is amazing. ROB can get an early-ish kill through Nair (which seems to be bigger than it looks), Ivysaur's UpB has a lot more range to it than you expect, Charizard's Fsmash is decent-ish I suppose, Squirtle's speed is good after you get used to it and he can play an insane aggressive style and Jiggz needs work but some of her aerials are ok for killing (thinking Bair here) and her bait and punish game throws the opponent's head out of whack if they haven't versed her before. Very bait-y and punish-y.

May be wrong on some of those but I tried my best.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Hehe, awesome to see my main and secondary in there as possible options (Lucas and ness respectively)! With Lucas, Pivot grab drastically reduces grab time, much like yoshi's. Also his playstyle mostly revolves around SH PKF at mid range. You can sometimes approach with Nair or even Fair... Other stuff comes naturally later, etc etc.

As for Ness, you can try air-breaking out of combo CGs but yea I agree this is pretty bad. In terms of his recovery, recovering from higher up makes it less likely to get gimped so easily, etc.

^ is shameless justification for both chars. :3

To make things fair though, Olimar is basically the how-to guide on camping. At it's most basic level, stand there and spam smashes. Also depending on the pikmin you can out-prioritize some juggling moves. Diddy's big killer I think is probs his Dsmash but he has some nice aerials as well to use when edgeguarding. DownB's tough with Wario but you can get some ranged attacks by smashing his bike and using the wheels. For general attacking your best bet is to use a safe-ish approach like Nair then use other stuff. Not sure about that one. ZSS is a very fun and unique char to use. Likely very rewarding if you can master her. TL takes time to get good with camping moves but for the most part have a bomb at the ready, throw the boomerang and spam arrows! ... ... Probably. Wolf is strong but acts lighter than he is, his attacks are great because they often involve more hits than one, etc, you know the drill... Peach is once again a unique char and I suspect her offstage game is amazing. ROB can get an early-ish kill through Nair (which seems to be bigger than it looks), Ivysaur's UpB has a lot more range to it than you expect, Charizard's Fsmash is decent-ish I suppose, Squirtle's speed is good after you get used to it and he can play an insane aggressive style and Jiggz needs work but some of her aerials are ok for killing (thinking Bair here) and her bait and punish game throws the opponent's head out of whack if they haven't versed her before. Very bait-y and punish-y.

May be wrong on some of those but I tried my best.
Thankyou so much. I read this post twice.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I think you should give Olimar, and Lucas a chance. You said you like to grab, and both have good grabs (if you use Lucas' special grab like Luco said) Lucas has great kill moves, all of them being very reliable. His Usmash is a little slow, but devastating if you can land it. It can also pull people up from the ledge.

Ness is also a great option, I have killed some many people with his recovery while I was recovering, lol. With Olimar, you can avoid getting juggled with a well timed downB, you still take the hit and damage, but aren't launched. meaning you can return safe to the ground and punish. His grabs are also good, especially is bthrow.

ZSS is very fun, I main her, but her grab takes 6 years to recover from if you miss, MUCH worse than Lucas'. She is also very light and easy to kill. Her biggest downside is probably having issues killing. Don't get me wrong, she has amazing kill moves, but they can get predictable and hard to land. There have been matches where my opponent gets to over 200% and I still can't kill them.

You can make people rage if you master TL, he is super annoying and good.

Oh and Peach. I <3 using her, I guess her carefree attitude makes it more fun. She actually has good reliable kill moves, and I can actually kill better with her than ZSS. Her edgegaurding game is also amazing, it's very hard for her opponent to recover once they're sent off the edge.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou White Mage. I think I will try to become much better with diddy kong so I can learn how to use items better, and I will try using Lucas and Olimar. I will start with Lucas first because I know Olimar's moveset already but not Lucas'.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Thankyou White Mage. I think I will try to become much better with diddy kong so I can learn how to use items better, and I will try using Lucas and Olimar. I will start with Lucas first because I know Olimar's moveset already but not Lucas'.
If you want some help getting used to Lucas I can direct you to the social thread. People there are happy to help and more experienced players than I can explain his moveset better.

Same applies to Olimar. ^^

Lucas General Discussion

Or for something more serious:

Lucas Q and A thread

Top Bottom