• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking of making an auto Zap Jump controller...

Mucas

Smash Rookie
I've noticed recently that I rarely use the Y button on my 'Cube controller when playing. I've also noticed that Lucas can launch him self at ungodly speeds by zap jumping. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to re-wire my controller so that my Y button triggers both X and B, so all I need to do is jump and press right or left + Y to zap jump without fail.

I've modified my share of hardware to know that I can rig this up on either my Y button, or just throw it on an additional button. What I'm wondering though is: are the button presses at the exact same moment? Or is there a certain very slight offset involved with the timing?

Anyway, I don't play online so if anyone considers this to be über cheap, well, I only play with the same 4 or 5 people.

Suggestions? Advice? Testimonials? If this works well, I'll post a tutorial (with pictures!)

SMS028

Smash Rookie
Zap jumping is very easy with practice, there's no need to modify your controls or controller.
yea man, just practice. There is no need to be lazy. It will take an hour max to perfect it. plus, wouldn't the 4 or 5 people still consider you a cheap noob. I would at least.

Mucas

Smash Rookie
Oh I can zap jump just fine, I just thought it'd be a fun little science experiment to add a button for it. Also, the group of friends I play with are an odd bunch. We've tried adding switches to auto press buttons to rare-candy our Pokémans while we're afk.

If what you're saying about the jump being a little earlier is true then I guess it won't work though.

obxperson2

Smash Rookie
If you're using a GC controller, just put your Specials button on L. You can do it a lot easier this way and you still have B for Specials.

Btw, you have to jump like a liiiiiittle bit before using PK Fire.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I don't get what all the commotion about changing your controller configuration is about, it's very easy to press B after Y, whether it be by pressing them both with different parts of the thumb, sliding the thumb, or clawing the controller.

Mucas

Smash Rookie
The offset kind of fubars this idea... oh well. Guess I'll just have to make a giant taunting stomp box instead.

And yeah, clawing is where it's at. I used to do that all the time when I played Mega Man X on SNES to charge, jump, and dash at the same time. I didn't even realize that I'd do it when I was little until my pointer finger had blisters on the side of it :laugh:

Top Bottom