• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking about getting competitive... any advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slubby

Smash Rookie
Guess I'll start with an introduction since I'm new here.

You can all call me Slubby. I've been playing smash forever and I would say I'm stuck somewhere in between competitive and casual play. I've been interested and looking into the competitive scene for a while now, but this is the first time I've bothered to do anything about it. I guess the main problem is that I don't really know very many people who can play much above my level which isn't really anything to behold.

Anyway, after looking through the stickies, it looks like it might actually be easier than I thought to get into the competitive scene thanks to online play. I'm just looking for advise or tips to help get me started. I'm a yoshi main but also like to break out mario, puff, and kirby when the mood strikes me.

Looking forward to getting my *** kicked.

Sedda

Smash Champion
make sure you can set up online play asap and start playing

learn the basic stuff (short hopping/z cancel), but just try to play people as often as possible

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

You can all call me Slubby. I've been playing smash forever and I would say I'm stuck somewhere in between competitive and casual play. I've been interested and looking into the competitive scene for a while now, but this is the first time I've bothered to do anything about it. I guess the main problem is that I don't really know very many people who can play much above my level which isn't really anything to behold.

Anyway, after looking through the stickies, it looks like it might actually be easier than I thought to get into the competitive scene thanks to online play. I'm just looking for advise or tips to help get me started. I'm a yoshi main but also like to break out mario, puff, and kirby when the mood strikes me.

make sure you have fun. get on anther's ladder to get good matches. I find that there's a fair number of new players on that site so u would get people to play on or around your level (but also some good players). WATCH KNITEFOX'S TUTORIAL for online play linked in the smash index. yeah its a long video but it addresses a bunch of issues you will run into so it will save you time in the long run

Slubby

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to get on the ladder this week if I can figure it all out. Short hopping is second nature to me and z-cancels are pretty easy as long as I actually remember to do it.

Any tips on DI? Seems to me like that's the thing that really sets gives an edge to the best players.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Any tips on DI? Seems to me like that's the thing that really sets gives an edge to the best players.
Ooo... uhhh... be careful.

I, personally, wouldn't try any serious DI until you have a good, greased controller that can handle extensive DI input. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion. Just don't kill your controllers, please.

Slubby

Smash Rookie

I, personally, wouldn't try any serious DI until you have a good, greased controller that can handle extensive DI input. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion. Just don't kill your controllers, please.
lol, most of my controllers are already on their last legs. Two have decent sticks, one is complete garbage, and I have a couple n64 super controllers or whatever they're called (the big blocky ones) with amazing sticks, but idk, not a big fan of just how big the things are.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I know which ones you're talking about. They're great for DI but they will often give you incorrect inputs so if you're having trouble, press L + R + Start to reset your center of axis.

I wouldn't use your decent sticks for any serious DI right now. Just learn the basics and when you decide if you really want to stick around and join the community, then you could buy new sticks and DI to your hearts content. I would hate for you to drop competitive smash and be left with even junkier control sticks :/

Edit: Post your info here if you want to find local players to play on console :)

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to get on the ladder this week if I can figure it all out. Short hopping is second nature to me and z-cancels are pretty easy as long as I actually remember to do it.

di tip: first get your di STRONG. by strong i mean make it so you can really notice you character moving after each hit. once your di is strong THEN worry about di direction. once your di is strong you can experiment in every direction while being comboe'd to figure out the best way to di any given situation

Antwon420

Smash Apprentice

What do you recommend to grease the controllers with and how do you do it?

Maliki

Smash Ace
whats up welcome to the community
competitive smash is a lot of fun
great decision!!!

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I ordered a "good condition" controller on Amazon last summer and started practicing DI on it without greasing it. It's ****ing destroyed now. The cool thing is I didn't really think about it because in my mind it was my "good controller." Then I finally found some other 64 players in my city who let me borrow an actually good controller again and it was like I'd been training under 40x normal gravity. They're not kidding when they say these sticks can get fukkked up.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I ordered a "good condition" controller on Amazon last summer and started practicing DI on it without greasing it. It's ****ing destroyed now. The cool thing is I didn't really think about it because in my mind it was my "good controller." Then I finally found some other 64 players in my city who let me borrow an actually good controller again and it was like I'd been training under 40x normal gravity. They're not kidding when they say these sticks can get ****ked up.
http://www.yocupco.com/other/taylor-lube.html (the red one)

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears (when they're not sold out)

D

Deleted member

cute name :3 awesome awesome, i'm a yoshi main too! ^_^ we should play some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom