• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you might not know about MK

Dext3rM.

Smash Apprentice
The purpose of this post is to mention curious details about Metaknight you may not know

ill start :

in lylat cruise if you are in the left plataform exactly in the right edge of it and you do a foward extended DC hit, the distance is perfect to reach the right edge of the middle plataform and it will cancel the DC hit and skip the lag of the hit

and yeah my english is pretty rought im from mexico

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
You can do a DC from the ledge and strike onstage (credit to Oakwood, or at least I know this from him :) ), you can also turn this around although it is quite difficult.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
You can also autocancel (I think it's an autocancel) a nair onto almost all platforms if you do a full hop and nair on the 6th or 7th frame of being air born. The hitbox will come out but only momentairly and can hit an opponent of a platform. This has probably happened to like every MK player that has tried to full hop nair on a plat anyways but that's how it works (sort of)

Dext3rM.

Smash Apprentice
i just found this (it can be a applied with all chars but i found this with mk) if you hold c-stick( any direcction) + Z while the sequence of a move it will perfect frame the dodge spot, roll or jump after the sequence of the past move (depends of the c-stick that you hold)

for example

lets say you try to dash atack and then roll back, normally you will press f stick + A then after the sequence of the dash attack you hold shield and L stick to roll back, 8 of 10 times you will see the shield when u try to roll back, that means you didnt time it perfectly and in consecuence you lose frames and you could be punished for that

now lets say you f stick + A but while the sequence you hold Left C stick + Z it will perfect roll back when the sequence of the dash attack ends without losing any frame (you will never see the shiled) so the chance to get punished will reduce a lot in any situation you do

and this can be aplied with all moves : D

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
i just found this (it can be a applied with all chars but i found this with mk) if you hold c-stick( any direcction) + Z while the sequence of a move it will perfect frame the dodge spot, roll or jump after the sequence of the past move (depends of the c-stick that you hold)

for example

lets say you try to dash atack and then roll back, normally you will press f stick + A then after the sequence of the dash attack you hold shield and L stick to roll back, 8 of 10 times you will see the shield when u try to roll back, that means you didnt time it perfectly and in consecuence you lose frames and you could be punished for that

now lets say you f stick + A but while the sequence you hold Left C stick + Z it will perfect roll back when the sequence of the dash attack ends without losing any frame (you will never see the shiled) so the chance to get punished will reduce a lot in any situation you do

and this can be aplied with all moves : D
Woah sick, does this work for all characters? It doesn't seem like something that should ONLY work for MK

GuruKid

Smash Ace
That's called C-stick buffering, and yeah it's intended. Buffering rolls out of shield that way is a great escape tool from massive shield pressure via characters like spacies, Lucas and Lucario

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I've actually been part of the team since the very beginning (longer if you count Brawl+ development as part of PM's lifespan) but I admittedly have had times of inactivity due to work/school/life etc.

and lol I'll do my best.

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman
DC onto ledge is both useful and flashy. It's just as fast as getting on the ledge normally from that distance.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
This sounds cool can you elaborate i dont understand
If you DC onto the ledge from about the distance of 1 battlefield platform, maybe a bit longer, it's just as fast or maybe even faster then say RAR SH onto ledge. And its $wag $

Nemy

群れ
Mine isnt as cool as everyone elses but MK can uair>footstool dair at low-mid percents for a good combo reset. Works great off of no DI and on larger characters like DK.

Oh wait I got something good. If you hold the attack button down and dash you can tap c stick down to turn around instantly. Its basically a limitless dash dance and makes MKs tech chase even scarier. I guess you would call it plink dashing?

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404

Dext3rM.

Smash Apprentice
Oh wait I got something good. If you hold the attack button down and dash you can tap c stick down to turn around instantly. Its basically a limitless dash dance and makes MKs tech chase even scarier. I guess you would call it plink dashing?
wow this is awesome didnt know about this thx

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Some facts/thoughts/strategy that might not be known by everyone :)
He is the second-lightest character.
For everybody that isn't aware yet, autoland nairs are awesome. If you combine it with the PM close-to-the-ledge stand that is basically an onground ledgecancel you have no lag at all. Drop againand repeat or choose another option.
Up-bs edgeguarding efficiency isn't explored yet. The key is to run off, fastfall, jump in the other direction and then up-b (in the initial direction, so facing towards blast zone).
Partly mentioned but side-b/down-b ledgecancels. Instant down-b OoS is also underused.
Applies for more characters than just MK but RAR aerial ledgecancel ledgegrab is cool. Nair and bair work best for covering multiple options.
Up-air followups based on horizontal momentum: As known, successful attacks' knockback angles aren't dependent on your momentum, so you will get the same angle while you are positioned differently. A forward jump up-air -> bair or a backward jump -> cape might be easier to set up that way.
Meta Knight has many sneaky reverse hitboxes that are difficult to get but very rewarding. While the fair one is rather annoying (opponent can SDI in to get sent in the other direction), the bair for kills and the d-smash (really really hard) to combo in its own second hit are examples where it makes sense.
Applies to almost everyone, but the effect of jump starting horizontal momentum and pivots aren't known or used widely enough.
The strongest empty cape is the crossup one, all others have huge disadvantages.
Zero-Lag-Cancel: If you land below a certain speed and right after ending glide you will not have lag at all. Sometimes useful in general, sometimes as glide attack mixup, but don't get gimmicky with it.
You lose quite a lot of mobility when relying on midair jumps too much, they are only 50% as high and horizontal air traction is applied throughout the entire process. Low % combos with up-airs are worth it though.
MK goes into his run-animation quite early.

Top Bottom