• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Things That Bug you in Smash

mario15

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylemshipley
3DS FC
3351-4555-2812
Super Smash Brothers Wii U is the newest installment in the Super Smash Brothers series, and it's arguably the best one yet, but every game has it's problems, and Super Smash Brothers Wii U is no exception. What are the things you just can't stand in the newest Super Smash Brothers?

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
-DLC (Nintendo won't accept credit cards from my country so I have go buy eshop cards every time I want something)

-No restart button on events (may seem minor but having to turn on customs, select my character and go through loading screens every time I wanted to do some events is painful).

-While this was greatly improved upon in Smash 4, I still dislike the concept of unlockable characters in a multiplayer fighting game. It's not that bad in this game though, especially since my main is now a starter character.

-I like the new challenge, but some of the challenge are kinda ridiculous: all customs, trophies and especially now having to do the generic "Complete ____ with All Characters" thing on the hard difficulties when I can barely do them on those difficulties with my mains.

-No Custom Stages in 8 player Smash, not even large ones. I would love to have 8 player battles on some of the custom stages I've created, but I can only do that on whatever the newest verson of Temple is.

-Angry Birds: Super Smash Bros edition!

-Level 9s... where do I even start. They can go from being ridiculously readable and practically braindead (I've had missed Rests be punished with jabs. JABS.) to perfect shielding every single attack I do then getting a 50% combo on me. It's pretty stupid.

-No Sheik nerfs.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
The loading in the Wii U version has gotten really slow I noticed. Especially when you start the game and it gets through the first screen. I thought my game froze on a few occasions.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
For me, there are at least a few things that stand out:

1. Input lag online. This alone is the reason I spend 99% of my time playing offline. Brawl, despite its issues of being choppy at times, was actually playable online since it did not have the input lag that plagues Sm4sh.

2. No regional options in For Fun / For Glory. If we could restrict our matches like we can in Mario Kart 8, this would mostly take care of point #1.

3. Menu "traps." Some menu options are traps if you play 100% with GameCube controllers. Avoid the "?" Menu, anything involving Miiverse, the Shop menu, and do not accidentally test a custom stage, or else you have to bring out a wireless controller to regain control. At least the Masterpieces section prevents such traps, though it would be nice if demos were playable with GC controllers.

The loading in the Wii U version has gotten really slow I noticed. Especially when you start the game and it gets through the first screen. I thought my game froze on a few occasions.
Sometimes I wonder what is going on during this period. Are the patches always being applied upon every startup or are they always reorganizing the database file that maintains equipment, or both? I use this slow start up time to walk my Pro controller out of range (since the main Wii U menus require something other than GC controllers), hold the power button, and then come back so I'm not draining any of my controllers that aren't being used.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Just completed some challenges, so Part 2 here we go:

- Redundant challenges. By this I mean challenges that appear twice, but one with a particular character. I'm on the challenges screen right now so I'll give an example:

"Get a score in the range of 500m to 505m in the Home-Run Contest."

"Get a score in the range of 500m to 505m in Solo Home-Run Contest. (Fighter: R.O.B)

Considering those are on different rows and different sides of said rows, people without prior knowledge might try the first challenge with any random non-R.O.B character, then find out that that effort was useless when they see the second one later on. Another example of this is 8 KOs in Cruel Smash, appearing as a challenge for both anyone and Lucina, but that's a lesser evil at least in my opinion since Lucina's actually probably one of the easier characters to do that challenge with. (I have a video of doing the challenge with her if anyone wants it)

- The Hungry Hungry Kirby/Kirby's Crazy Appetite event is the worst thing ever made.

- Some challenges aren't even fun, just tedious. Examples are Classic 7.0 all characters, All-Star Hard all characters, break 50,000 blocks in Trophy Rush, get all custom special moves/outfits/headgear/cds.

- Some challenges almost require you to main a certain character to complete them. Like, how the hell am I supposed to do All-Star on Hard with Duck Hunt?

- Smash Tour is love Smash Tour is life

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
This is going to get locked. Just wait for it. Also
Just completed some challenges, so Part 2 here we go:

- Redundant challenges. By this I mean challenges that appear twice, but one with a particular character. I'm on the challenges screen right now so I'll give an example:

"Get a score in the range of 500m to 505m in the Home-Run Contest."

"Get a score in the range of 500m to 505m in Solo Home-Run Contest. (Fighter: R.O.B)

Considering those are on different rows and different sides of said rows, people without prior knowledge might try the first challenge with any random non-R.O.B character, then find out that that effort was useless when they see the second one later on. Another example of this is 8 KOs in Cruel Smash, appearing as a challenge for both anyone and Lucina, but that's a lesser evil at least in my opinion since Lucina's actually probably one of the easier characters to do that challenge with. (I have a video of doing the challenge with her if anyone wants it)

- The Hungry Hungry Kirby/Kirby's Crazy Appetite event is the worst thing ever made.

- Some challenges aren't even fun, just tedious. Examples are Classic 7.0 all characters, All-Star Hard all characters, break 50,000 blocks in Trophy Rush, get all custom special moves/outfits/headgear/cds.

- Some challenges almost require you to main a certain character to complete them. Like, how the hell am I supposed to do All-Star on Hard with Duck Hunt?

- Smash Tour is love Smash Tour is life
I pretty much agree with all of these. Although idc about the Rob one since I got it as a mistake while trying to get a good score as every character.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
- Inconsistent latency online

- Team attack off in 2v2 FG

- No story mode

- No Japanese voice option

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I miss my old Target Tests. I'd have even been happy with the Brawl model over the Smash 4 model.

Too many characters unlocked from the start (In Wii U at least, 3DS was okay but still too many. Melee and Brawl had a fine amount of unlockables)

Event matches just aren't super exciting like they were.

Smash Tour.

No Melee-flavored Adventure mode.

No :002:

:4ganondorf::4falcon: still

:4pacman: is in the game

Tbh I think that's all I don't like about this game. Smash Wii U is without doubt the best in the series so far, and only gets increasingly so with patches and DLC. There's far more to praise Odin & Sakurai for than to complain about.

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Where's teh REAL target test and board the platforms?

Also, no Adventure Mode. Someone needs to fire Samurai and hire me because I will automatically do EVERYTHING right!

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
-You can't make 1v1 tourneys, for some reason
-Someone decided it was a good idea to reward you with custom moves you already have
-5 versions of Jungle Level/Jungle Hijinxs and little to no unique Tropical Freeze music (of all the tracks to choose from, they chose ANOTHER version of Jungle Level; what about Big Top Bop, Punch Bowl, or even Windmill Hills?)
-I still don't understand why Smash Tour exists
-No Pac-Man World 2 representation
-CPUs magically work together to combo me in Classic 9.0 runs
-:4samus:

Last edited:

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

- Star KOs are the most annoying thing on the planet, add nothing even slightly positive to the game and waste time.

- Beating Classic 9.0 on its own doesn't give you an achievement yet beating 10 Man Smash does. wth sakurai

- They clearly demonstrated they could add alternate characters in costume switches (Alph + Koopalings) yet they won't even bother to give us characters like Chrom or some other random non-natural hair-coloured Fire Emblem lord with them. They seem to just love the Marth clones. Next patch prediction: Sakurai has listened to our wishes and finally added Chrom. He has exactly the same moveset as Marcina but - GET THIS - his sweet spot is the hilt! 10/10 ign

- The fact that Dark Pit and Pit are the first two characters in my knowledge to actually share a spot on the tier list says something.

- I don't know how anyone is able to tell what the crowd cheering says.

- Way too many characters have Counter or some form of it. Really the only people that should have it are Little Mac, Shulk and Ike. Marth's and Roy's games don't have the skill system, Lucina can't learn Counter no matter what, Peach's Counter is Toad abuse and Palutena's just seems lazy.

- I love the great variety of characters we have for Zelda reps. Amazing, recognisable characters like Link, Link, Zelda, Zelda and Captain Falcon. I loved the Zelda game with Captain Falcon especially.

Despite me having 20 things wrong with this game I don't hate it, or dislike it at all. I just reeeeaaallly love to complain.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
the replay system is garbage, every time they update the game my memories get lost in the process

KirbCider

Smash Ace
  • The fact there weren't many Unlockable Characters this time (Wii U). Some may say it's tedious or unnecessary to have unlock-able characters; however I actually enjoyed being able to unlock them. It gave me a challenge and something to look forward to. I also dislike just how easy it was to unlock them as well. In fact, I was able to unlock all of them in just a single night when Sm4sh U was released. I didn't have to work as hard and spend days playing the game just to get a single character.

• I simply do not like the new Target Blast. It's nice and it is something new yes, but I really miss the old version so much more. Even Brawls kind of bugged me a little because they weren't character specific that time. I guess either way works though...

• The fact that characters no longer fight on their home Stages. Come on, that's pretty much been a thing since Smash 64. I get that they changed Classic Mode and it's nothing like it used to be, but I still miss that little factor right there. I've missed it so much in fact that I try to pick the "Home Stages" in Vs mode, when playing against a friend online, or even when training my Amiibos for the characters I'm playing as. It makes it feel more.... Right I guess? Maybe I just need to get with the times.

• There's no Trippin-... Nah JK, it doesn't bug me at all that this was excluded. In fact I'm grateful for it to be gone.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
  • No CD Shop
  • No Custom Shop
  • Sakurai forcing 8 Player Smash down our throats in Classic mode
  • Balanced Character Rosters in Wii U and 3DS
  • Certain home console stages from being moved over to the 3DS because of a remake or rerelease on Eshop (Corneria, Balloon Fight, Gerudo Valley, Distant Planet, Brinstar, Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Island, Jungle Japes, Mute City, Magicant, etc.)
  • Being hit while using a weapon that uses the durability system, wasting me a point
  • Main dittos
  • People calling Smash 4 "Sm4sh" or "Tr4sh"
  • For Glory
  • Short Replay-to-YouTube limit

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4ganondorf:
In all seriousness, the solo modes are all pretty damn wretched. The way replays are saved is also bad, it pains me every time I delete another batch of replays because of the newest patch. I feel like I shouldn't dread content updates this much :laugh:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
#1 annoying thing is the lack of support of the home button. The vast majority of screens in the game don't support it. Usually you have to exit match and backtrack all the way to the intro menu to get out of the freakin game. So ridiculous. It's a pain in the butt when you're playing on Anther's and have to exit the game constantly to add people on your friends list.

Also the lack of touchscreen support on the menus is equally ridiculous. Not that I play on the gamepad, it's just an expected feature and nintendo has zero excuse for not including it.

And do I need to even mention the 3 minute limit on youtube uploads? Or the 3 minute limit on tourney mode matches? Just WHY Nintendo....WHY?!? How disconnected can you be from your playerbase? People who make these decisions obviously know nothing about how their own game is played.

the replay system is garbage, every time they update the game my memories get lost in the process
Nothing they can really do about that, honestly that was an oversight in development I think. The replays get made unviewable because they record your inputs, not the actual match. So every time we get a patch the inputs change due to balance changes so the replays if they were left viewable would just be characters running around wildly. Should have coded the replay system differently in hindsight...but who knew nintendo was going to patch the game so much? I think they did a 180 there, I think their original intent was to not ever do balance patches after the Wii U release. Had they known the replay system would have probably been coded differently.

Last edited:

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
DLC characters not in place with their franchises PLUS the clone section... Seriously, Fire Emblem characters are scattered throughout the CSS and my OCD can't stand that.

D

Deleted member

DLC characters not in place with their franchises PLUS the clone section... Seriously, Fire Emblem characters are scattered throughout the CSS and my OCD can't stand that.
Agreed. I can't stand the clone or DLC corners at all. Lucas not being right next to Ness and Mewtwo not being with the rest of the Pokemon is outright ludicrous and Roy and Lucina not being with the FE characters feels so wrong. I can't stand Pittoo and Dr. Mario not being with their respective franchises either. It makes the CSS look like a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I'm not a fan of some returning characters. Notably Jigglypuff and Toon Link.

Puff is a super defensive character in an already defensive game, and Toon Link seems to send the average player into a spam frenzy.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Just about everything with online play.

Outside of for friends, why can't players alternate picking the level instead of it being chosen "randomly"? (I put that in quotes becasue computer's aren't capeable of true randomness I don't think... and this one likes to give me pyrosphere, pac land, and wieley's castle.) Why is the only other option Final Destination only no items?

Why are tournaments set up how they are?

Why can't we upload long replays to youtube... an option to say shut down after upload would solve the it takes forever problem... start the process while on way out the door or to bed and let it finish on it's own.

Other than that...

the unlock system. Only one I remember thinking was this bad was Advance Wars 1... beat the whole campaign for a max of two character unlocks. Way to long a process. Here... the ability to unlock custom moves that are already unlocked is just plain absurd.

The 3DS getting great levels the Wii U version doesn't... and vice versa (within technical limitations). The uniqueness factor... I see what they were going for but IMO huge miss.

Master Cores... hate that stupid fight. I am a lot better now, but got really tired of losing, and losing custom moves based on something so not smash bros like.

Lack of an offline tourny mode.

And a bunch of trivial stuff.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of some returning characters. Notably Jigglypuff and Toon Link.

Puff is a super defensive character in an already defensive game, and Toon Link seems to send the average player into a spam frenzy.
i feel like this is a personal attack against me

Anyway, Part 4:

- No Omega stages in All Star/Crazy Orders has caused me way too many deaths.

- What's with 700,000+ score runs of Trophy Rush giving me 0 trophies when I only have 500 out of 700? There's at least 100 trophies that can be gained when you consider that 100 of those are from Classic/All-Star completion with all characters.

- "Here's a task that took you countless hours to complete! Have a trophy."

- Items in Crazy Orders.

- I wish there was a way to re-roll the Master Orders ticket selection without having to do one.

- No option to sell excess trophies. I have like 6 of some trophies and it reeeeaaaallly bugs me.

- Was there really any need to change how it showed Custom Moves from the 3DS version? By this I mean when you got Customs in the 3DS version it said something like Name of Move (input) (by input I mean like Side 2, or Up 3 or something), but in the Wii U version it only says the name so if I want to see which one it is I have to go all the way to that character's custom screen.

- Trophy Rush results screen should really show you how many Fever Rushes you got. On my one successful attempt of the Dr Mario 8 Fever Rushes challenge, I didn't save the replay since I wasn't counting and didn't think the score was high enough for 8.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
No BF option in FG

Lag

DLC characters don't get custom moves

Patches buffing and nerfing the wrong characters.

bowser_the_toy

Smash Rookie
The tournament is ass, the voice chat weak. Other then that no complaint. I hate the fact they scrapped squirtle and ivysaur. I miss poketrainer. :/

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
i feel like this is a personal attack against me

Anyway, Part 4:

- No Omega stages in All Star/Crazy Orders has caused me way too many deaths.

- What's with 700,000+ score runs of Trophy Rush giving me 0 trophies when I only have 500 out of 700? There's at least 100 trophies that can be gained when you consider that 100 of those are from Classic/All-Star completion with all characters.

- "Here's a task that took you countless hours to complete! Have a trophy."

- Items in Crazy Orders.

- I wish there was a way to re-roll the Master Orders ticket selection without having to do one.

- No option to sell excess trophies. I have like 6 of some trophies and it reeeeaaaallly bugs me.

- Was there really any need to change how it showed Custom Moves from the 3DS version? By this I mean when you got Customs in the 3DS version it said something like Name of Move (input) (by input I mean like Side 2, or Up 3 or something), but in the Wii U version it only says the name so if I want to see which one it is I have to go all the way to that character's custom screen.

- Trophy Rush results screen should really show you how many Fever Rushes you got. On my one successful attempt of the Dr Mario 8 Fever Rushes challenge, I didn't save the replay since I wasn't counting and didn't think the score was high enough for 8.
Just addressing the bolded.

The alternative to this is "Here is something you want and it will take you countless hours to unlock, and likely involve a part of the game you aren't to interested in playing much."

It does suck when big tasks yield small rewards... But I'd hate it if a stage, or character unlock was going to require that much grinding.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
Almost everything about the shield
Diddy being the new Greninja
Patches in general (yes, I'm that guy)
Tax on eShop because I'm always some stupid amount short from buying something (usually less than 30 cents US)

phantomxbla

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhantomXBLA
-The menu. (Games and more???)
-Input lag.
-Diddy kong
-Everyone in competitive using the same characters. (*Prepares for hate*)
-Replays.
-Amiibo's not being available to those who want. (Still can't get a Fox amiibo)

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
-The menu. (Games and more???)
-Input lag.
-Diddy kong
-Everyone in competitive using the same characters. (*Prepares for hate*)
-Replays.
-Amiibo's not being available to those who want. (Still can't get a Fox amiibo)
Too bad you don't live in Australia, we have pretty much every Amiibo imaginable just sitting on shelves here, there's just no demand for them here haha

It annoys me there is no option to tun of stage hazards but still have the stage in general. The pirate ship would be great fun with out the bomb tower, or Whilleys castle with out whilley or the samus stage with out ridley. etc etc.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
A. stupidly hard or tedious challenges. "Beat all-star mode with all characters on hard. Your reward? A single trophy!" Yeah... Screw off.

B. online is garbage. For fun doesn't even make since. I got banned for going after a guy who had 134%. Apparently I was targeting him to much... Uhh... I guess I shouldn't try to win. Team battles are stupid. I usually find myself with a terrible teammate or people who will just camp due to the lack of team damage (and sometimes mixture both). For Glory is cancer and for some reason there are now ranked matches. Either I'm crushing someone or I'm getting crushed. Rarely do I have any good matches.

C. why would you make so that you get the same trophy, custom move, or piece of equipment more than once? I don't need ten Rayman statues and three DK Cyclones.

D. custom moves are stupid. The roster we have is already balanced. Why do we need ******** DK Cyclones, Enhanced Monado Shulk one-shots, and Pickachu infinite? Plus some customs are useless and them making other characters more useful is made obsolete by the fact that top characters also benefit from customs.

E. equipment is stupid. I mean seriously... What's the point? Some of these just make the characters stupidly over powered. What is this? Smash 4 Plus? I don't need auto healing Captain Falcon's that spam smash attacks.

F. screw Mii's. I'm sorry, but I hope these soulless pieces of trash are removed in the next smash game. I mean seriously. What's the point? You can't even use them online. Not only that, but mii costumes are stupid. Most of them don't even reflect the actual characters in terms of moves. Plus Sakurai can make dozens of mii costumes, but not give us costumes for characters we actually play as? This isn't taking into account that a majority of the Mii's just have ripped move sets from characters present in the game. Imagine if Sakurai hadn't bothered with Mii's or custom moves...

G. most of the single content is garbage.

H. woah! Angry birds: Smash edition -_-

J. The brand new Zelda rep... Oh wait.

K. some many awesome and creative stages that are basically unplayable due to hazards.

Just a couple I though I'd list.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Unlocking Custom moves in this game is just a grind. I hate it. This could have been saved if there was a shop for customs. I got all this gold just sitting here. Let me spend it customs. Instead, I have to grid classic, crazy orders, or trophy rush to get them.

And its not even a guarantee you will get them. Not only are they completely random, but you get duplicates! Why is unlocking customs so bad?

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Just addressing the bolded.

The alternative to this is "Here is something you want and it will take you countless hours to unlock, and likely involve a part of the game you aren't to interested in playing much."

It does suck when big tasks yield small rewards... But I'd hate it if a stage, or character unlock was going to require that much grinding.
True, I guess. But they could at least give like a custom move or something, since that's most people's last or close to last challenge.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Unlocking custom moves.

Dont get me wrong, custom moves are super fun to use, HOWEVER, they can almost change that character comepleaty and are a MONSTROSITY to obtain. ESPECIALLY if you only need that last custom. I spent three hours grinding for links big bomb on classic mode only to find out it was an achievement. It almost makes me think that customs aren't worth the grind...which is ridiculously random...

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I hate how this game reuses brawl's engine. It makes the game feel as if it isn't unique in comparison to the other games in the series. I also dislike the fact that in classic mode, you can get custom moves you've already unlocked. This is a very stupid decision imo.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Where's Ice Climbers?

Just kidding. I seriously think one issue of mine with the game is that it did a sorta mediocre job in having implementing fun family features. (Remember guys, Smash is also a party game.)

I LOVED Smash Run on the 3DS but for the Wii U I feel like they could've done better with Smash Tour honestly.

C3CC

Smash Lord
-Rosalina being so horribly animated.
-Dark Pit being in the game.
-Target Blast sucks.
-Smash Tour sucks.
-Classic Mode sucks.
-The menus look good but they are kind of labyrinth-ish. Games and More? WTF?

EDIT: Update!

-The crowd's chants are impossible to understand, especially Charizard's. "CHRS, CHRS, CHRS" I swear that's the only thing I can hear.
-The character selection screen is all messed up. I hope that once they're done adding characters they'll re-organize it. I don't think I can live the rest of my life with everyone being all scattered across the screen in places they don't belong.
-Rosalina being called "Rosalina & Luma", even when it makes perfect sense. It just bothers me and I can't really say why.

I'll keep updating my list.

Last edited:

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
I hate the stupid input lag online. When your playing offline Sheik is amazing, when its online she is like garbage. I also hate how for glory and tournament mode don't have other stages besides omega and the 3 minute time limit in tourney mode doesn't help either. Lets also not forget all the spammers and rollers online that make the game more irritating than fun.

Edit- Why is it called classic mode if it doesn't follow what the other games did. Its out right a totally different game mode.

Last edited:

McDizzle!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Patashu
1. Lag on For Glory (not just input lag, the game getting choppy also throws me off).

2. Not being able to use your amiibo as a partner in solo modes.

3. Smash tour (probably the worst mode ever made in Smash history).

4. Tourney mode (what were they THINKING when they made this)?

5. NO SHEIK NERFS!

6. Not being able to play Miis on FG (why not? They're allowed in Tourney mode).

7. Only Omega stages on FG

Top Bottom