• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I would buff on Little Mac

Jung-ho

Smash Rookie
As we all know, little mac has been suffering in the tier lists and has been considered as one of the worst fighters in the game. Some of us might think the reason be is that little mac doesn't have enough good players to represent him willingly and to me I don't think that's the case.
I main little mac because he's personally fun to me, despite his very bad recovery and air game, and throughout my experience, here are things I would change about him.

KO Punch: The KO punch is one of Mac's greatest killing tools, however it does have some flaws that dont quite make sense to me. One of them which is the fact that if you KO punch the opponent while in air, the effects are actually worse and won't be the same as when in ground, which I wish this wasnt the case. Second is the time of vulnerability after use which is REALLY long and because of that it is punishable if you miss, I would shorten the delay because not only it won't be punishable but it also can be a good recovery tool if you get launched out of the stage with the KO punch. Like this: KO punch + jump + up special. Won't that be neat?

Up Special : No I don't think his recovery should go up higher, but there were many times where when I recover, the opponent would simply just use his/her aerials to intercept and I would just die. Like samus' recovery for example, I think Little Mac's recovery should not be easily intercepted like that and is just invulnerable during the process.

These are all what I think should change with Little Mac. I dont expect him to be the greatest character but I just want him to be better than how he is right now.

Last edited:

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
Honestly i think he just needs a better recovery and a slight ko punch buff

Jung-ho

Smash Rookie
Honestly i think he just needs a better recovery and a slight ko punch buff
I think giving little mac a better recovery will just make him broken if you think about it. Alot of little mac mains have been ledge guarding with his side special off stage (which basically is a guaranteed kill) but his poor recovery is what restricts that. Now imagine what will happen if little mac had lucinas recovery height wise... being launched off stage by little mac will be unbelievably difficult to recover back. Also it will make down throw and up special combo even more broken and will start killing at low percentages.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I think that people are just too agressive when they play Little Mac and that's why the character looks so bad. I play him just like if I was playing Punch Out, I analyze my enemy, then I attack him whenever he makes a mistake. I also stay in the middle of the stage. When I was playing Elite Smash, i had around 3 700 000 GSP with him, so it works against a lot of player.

Give him a better vertical recovery and let him do side B again in the air after getting hit. And he will be low/mid tier.

Jung-ho

Smash Rookie
I think that people are just too agressive when they play Little Mac and that's why the character looks so bad. I play him just like if I was playing Punch Out, I analyze my enemy, then I attack him whenever he makes a mistake. I also stay in the middle of the stage. When I was playing Elite Smash, i had around 3 700 000 GSP with him, so it works against a lot of player.

Give him a better vertical recovery and let him do side B again in the air after getting hit. And he will be low/mid tier.
U know I never thought of it like that well said; and in fact I'm doing a mix of aggressive and what you call punch out playstyle now.

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
I honestly don't understand why people think this character needs a buff when he doesn't. He's got an absolutely insane counter, can ko when charged someone when they're at 20%. Stop asking for a buff when there's no need for one.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I honestly don't understand why people think this character needs a buff when he doesn't. He's got an absolutely insane counter, can ko when charged someone when they're at 20%. Stop asking for a buff when there's no need for one.
Wario has a insane comeback potential, landing the down B is much easier than landing the KO Punch. He's top tier, Mac is trash tier.
Every Fire Emblem swordies have a counter, they're top tier, Mac is trash tier.

So are the counter and the KO punch a problem ? No. If you think that, chances are that you're not good at the game because these two things are really easy to punish. You should improve instead of whining on Little Mac.

Last edited:

Jung-ho

Smash Rookie
Wario has a insane comeback potential, landing the down B is much easier than landing the KO Punch. He's top tier, Mac is trash tier.
Every Fire Emblem swordies have a counter, they're top tier, Mac is trash tier.

So are the counter and the KO punch a problem ? No. If you think that, chances are that you're not good at the game because these two things are really easy to punish. You should improve instead of whining on Little Mac.
Well said

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
I think you are pretty much right on the money J Jung-ho . I would add that his up-b deserves to be a kill confirm at around 110% or so. If a character like ness can backthrow at 90 and kill the majority of the cast for free, why shouldn't Mac have a kill confirm at 110 considering his weaknesses?

Jung-ho

Smash Rookie
I think you are pretty much right on the money J Jung-ho . I would add that his up-b deserves to be a kill confirm at around 110% or so. If a character like ness can backthrow at 90 and kill the majority of the cast for free, why shouldn't Mac have a kill confirm at 110 considering his weaknesses?
Good point, it would be appropriate to make his up b a better kill confirm tool

Last edited:

Lozfanyoit

Smash Rookie
You're really ignoring recovery. One hit at 40 percent near ledge kills little mac. He can't come back from the stage from anything, spamming fsmash doesn't work agaisnt decent non online players.

Top Bottom