• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

Chaco

Never Logs In
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame You’re overlooking very hard still as well. Literally the equality part was a joke, I don’t care at all and didn’t. I told you why I went Boom already. And yes it may be gross and you might consider it so, my town play is quite transparent. It’s fairly obvious always. But I will go as far to say that my scum play is identical. But with town motive is so easy to follow with me because I’m a reactive player. Cronies seemed fitting to me tbh cause that case is basically terrible and it was just jumped on. Like step back and consider the fact here that I am indeed town, who do you look at that jumped on here? Wam? Or is Kary suspicious?94 is LaserGuy being a conspirator for coming up with a weirdly times case after your and Kary put interest to me? See why it all comes off as a load of ****? Timing is odd. To go as far as to reference all that is extremely weird. I don’t have townLaser meta to go off of, so I can’t say if he’s that obsessive as town to do that, but that’s a scum push 9/10. So yes there’s some grime to that push, but I just don’t know who or where it’s at yet. If you’re scum again for the third time I’d eat my shoe, but I’m townleaning you here due to your treatment of my slot. ( fontisian fontisian as I’m writing this I realize this is the best example this game of reads on stuff being at me)

Chaco

Never Logs In
I’m about to go to the chiropractor and I intend to try and make some time to do some breakdowns later. My plans is Laser, Wam, and maybe Frozen. Any interjections in those or want to see someone else? I’ll go any direction. Laser is due to timong and early game content, and I want to look closer at his case. Wam because he’s been a parrot thus far. And Frozen because it will lay out my town read on him. I intend to hit everyone but as time consuming as it is and doing it on mobile, I dont know how far I’ll get into it this evening.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Let me rephrase that, there’s no way I’ll be able to do this whole cast this evening. My goal is three this evening, maybe one or two tomorrow at work, and more tomorrow evening.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Chaco do you have any scumreads outside of laser (and wam too?)
Laser is not necessarily a scumread, I have to look further into it. But there’s quite a bit off about the slots jumping on me, some of the casemakers or the followers of said case are scummy. I haven’t had the time to go back and read closer yet. Like I said I’m not sure if Wam is scum either, he’s just produced hardly any original content. Most has been parroted. I’ll get bs k with you this evening on that once I have had the chance to go back, ISO some, and see overall gamestate. I’ve been playing page to page since this game started.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
this vote is absolute garbage, literally just piggybacking off the nitpicks other slots have made of my simple off the cuff observation and again spewing this "opportunist" rhetoric
I was the one to originally be pinged by your Kary/DH I'll point out, no need to rev up the chainsaw. Its opportunistic because yes as you said you switched back because of it, which gives you an easy out. Your post voting Chaco looked very much like it was setting up for a back off. Atleast now your doubling down on Chaco for now that you've been called out on it.
Let me put this Kary/DH connection thing to bed. I made the observation in post #37. First page, 37th post. Let that sink in. It was a literal kneejerk reaction that I had to those two slots so quickly keying in on Pythag. It caught my interest, so I commented on it. No where have I ever claimed that I picked up on some guaranteed scum coordination tell or anything, I was just pointing out the simple fact that if one of those two slots flips scum, that early confluence of interest becomes a lot more interesting and shouldn't be forgotten. I was literally just putting a little flag in the sand and saying hey, if one of these slots flips scum this is probably worth another look and I left it at that. I seriously do not understand where people are getting off saying its scummy to flag an interaction like that for the sake of posterity when we have more information and early D1 interactions are easily forgotten/glossed over
But theres no actual reason why that little detail should warrant such a statement. It could have just as easily come from any combination of alignments, and you pointing out specifically the scum side looks like an attempt to be able to be able to set up a misyeet.

Also the last sentence of this post is gross, he literally says "hey FF is def playing different than the last game I was in when I was his mate, BUTTTTT lol he sucked that game so he better have made a change lul he can totally still be scum or whatever lol bird n fish n bird n stuff hahaha amirite?." Like this is an excuse to vote me despite having evidence that contradicts the read, not an actual reason. Grimey af
I have decided it is best to put down all of my thoughts around the situation for voting and the like, that is why that bit was included. I admit it could have been better and I'm sorry if it came off as offensive. I was trying to say I've seen you play a different meta, and acknowledge the people saying this was a different meta, but that I think you are a good enough to change up your meta. Also lol the bird stuff was just a joke with whatever the synchronicity stuff was doing with meta.

if mala's post is what pushed you to do this, this may be the worst vote I've ever seen you cast
You brought up his vote on you with his vote on Pythag when you asked about double voting. This feels fake.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Chaco - Is going to go slowly mad

Sabrar - Real Sabrar. I'd been wondering where he'd gone. Nice to finally see him again.

Dark Horse - Aggressive interrogating. I don't agree with his questions but he's leaving a thick paper trail if scum. - likely town

Malakandra - Too cool. But he did like my post calling out Laser for the town read, which means Mala was also sus of the easy town read, so Mala is town.

LaserGuy - Ligit mala analysis, slightly townie

Gorf - Sarcasm shield is slightly townie

Somitomi - Fry with his eyes squinting

Kary - Holding their cards close. But eyes open.

Wam - Minimal content is suspicious, but I'm willing to wait a bit to see what's under the surface.

Synchronicity - Obviously scummy. Policy yeet D2.

Frozen Flame - Hasn't played town in so long he's forgotten how to.

Pythag - Checked out. No reasoning for votes or attempts at reading anyone.

Vote FrozenFlame
Vote Pythag
Is this ordered by towniness? BoomFrog BoomFrog

fontisian

Smash Champion
Town :
Dh - I don't like gorf trying to make DH look scummy, I interpret his posts as eager.
gorf - the defensive argument that was trying to be built on him was reaaaaly sketch. It seemed like he and I were thinking similarly wrt to the wagons. we're on the same page...until he ascends.
Sab - I think I've liked everything he's posted.

Scummy :
Wam - I don't think I've really liked a single one of his posts. I also don't get him jumping on the gorf train.
FF - I'm not saying it's scummy that you didn't read the rules, but that does seem very out of character for you. I didn't seem to understand your position on gorf. That seemed very odd to me.
???

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Town - really struggled to order this section so don't read to much into the order
Somitomi - Enquries seem to be coming from a town mindset, questioning interrogating etc. Somi's play seems to have come on a lot from what I remember.
Malakandra - stayed very calm under early pressure.
LaserGuy - as explained I like the thinking.
Sabrar - Feels like town Sabrar but it's hard to call him town if he gets through Day 1 without voting for me.
Dark Horse - I like the mindset behind the questions just a bit suspicious that they don't have many of their opinions out there.
Pythag - pretty much identical read to Dark horse
Well I am gonna question an order that has me as the townest in all the land. What is this even?
bro ngl when I read this post it literally felt like a post I would write as scum. Lots of defensive statements phrased as questions, accusations of bad faith when there really isn't clear evidence of it (I did this to osie as scum in completely vanilla when I felt he "caught me for the wrong reasons" as fonti was describing in the abstract this game), saying its "hilarious" that people are sheeping the argument to shame them out of doing so, etc etc.
That's exactly the ping I got from this and some subsequent posts.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame You’re overlooking very hard still as well. Literally the equality part was a joke, I don’t care at all and didn’t. I told you why I went Boom already. And yes it may be gross and you might consider it so, my town play is quite transparent. It’s fairly obvious always. But I will go as far to say that my scum play is identical. But with town motive is so easy to follow with me because I’m a reactive player. Cronies seemed fitting to me tbh cause that case is basically terrible and it was just jumped on. Like step back and consider the fact here that I am indeed town, who do you look at that jumped on here? Wam? Or is Kary suspicious?94 is LaserGuy being a conspirator for coming up with a weirdly times case after your and Kary put interest to me? See why it all comes off as a load of ****? Timing is odd. To go as far as to reference all that is extremely weird. I don’t have townLaser meta to go off of, so I can’t say if he’s that obsessive as town to do that, but that’s a scum push 9/10. So yes there’s some grime to that push, but I just don’t know who or where it’s at yet. If you’re scum again for the third time I’d eat my shoe, but I’m townleaning you here due to your treatment of my slot. ( fontisian fontisian as I’m writing this I realize this is the best example this game of reads on stuff being at me)
bolded I have a really hard time believing is genuine ngl

do you really think scum!Laser decides to capitalize on some latent pro-yeet-chaco sentiment with a meta case? if he's scum, why become the spearhead on a chaco ML when he could just have easily laid back a bit and waited to see if I'd make a bigger push?

I was the one to originally be pinged by your Kary/DH I'll point out, no need to rev up the chainsaw. Its opportunistic because yes as you said you switched back because of it, which gives you an easy out. Your post voting Chaco looked very much like it was setting up for a back off. Atleast now your doubling down on Chaco for now that you've been called out on it.
there's always a need to rev up the chainsaw when it comes to defending myself :awesome:

I don't get where you're coming from on my votes being setups for "easy outs." I voted chaco originally because the equality thing was the first big ping in the thread, I then switched to gorf because I legit thought he was being scummier with his defensiveness, and then switched back to chaco because gorf replaced out and laserguy validated my original chaco call. there was no setting up of anything, circumstances changed and thus so did my calculus for where my vote should be based on my present ability to read the field. How exactly was my vote for chaco "setting up for a back off?"

But theres no actual reason why that little detail should warrant such a statement. It could have just as easily come from any combination of alignments, and you pointing out specifically the scum side looks like an attempt to be able to be able to set up a misyeet.
obviously it could have come from nay combination of alignments, but if we get more info and learn that one of those alignments is scum, I think it's an important crumb to give a second look. Putting a flag in the sand for an early interaction that caught my eye in no way shape or form sets up either slot of a lynch. It sets up the slots for perhaps some extra scrutiny down the line at tops, and that even assumes that people even give a **** about my opinion down the line if one of them in fact does flip scum

You brought up his vote on you with his vote on Pythag when you asked about double voting. This feels fake.
I'm really not sure how boom's post where he voted for me and pythag in the same post, and this now very clear vote on me with the intent of giving the wagon on me steam, are related at all, and even if they are related, how it makes my condescension of his latest vote "fake"

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unsorted and paper thin reads :

Scummy :

Wam - I don't think I've really liked a single one of his posts. I also don't get him jumping on the gorf train.
FF - I'm not saying it's scummy that you didn't read the rules, but that does seem very out of character for you. I didn't seem to understand your position on gorf. That seemed very odd to me.

I may have forgotten people, I'm about to go work out and then will come back to do some more reading and have questions.

unvote
vote : Frozenflame
why did you put me in your "scummy" category when you overtly state that you don't think my "out of character" act is necessarily scummy? shouldn't I be in null by your own stated logic here?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
What do you think of Laser's case on chaco?
I thought I answered this earlier but I guess not. The case is kinda over-blown and relies a lot on meta. I agree that Chaco started out fluffy and I said as much in #227 but you don't need to repeat that over and over. Feels pretty genuine from LG though.

He's not specifically town for me but I'm taking his side vs LG whose case is nonsense.
So you scumread LG here? He can have a bad case and still be on the right lines.

Interested about all three of these, but especially why I am so high.
I think you didn't sweat your RVS waggon, more than once you have said what I've been thinking and while some of your questions seem kind of simple it feels like you're trying to solve the game. And someone has to be at the top.

#HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary Why is Laser so high on your town list?
I liked the way that he answered my questions, his case against you feels genuine to me, it's really overkill from him if he's faking it, he generally seems to be no-nonsense trying to solve the game so I'm pretty comfy on him.

Boom is neutral to me see below.
Then I don't follow why you cared about obvious RVS votes on him?

Kary - I don't like putting me and Gorf at the bottom of the reads list without as far as I can see mentioning us before
Am I supposed to give you fair warning before I scumread you?

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
on the read I did there did seem to be a noticeable content difference between the 2 town games and this game. Dont know if I can be more specific.
Could you elaborate, please? Surely if you noticed a difference, you can at least vaguely outline what aspect of the posts is different.
So it’s town of me to OMGUS Laser, rather than try and figure out why he’s going after this.
I didn't get the impression you were trying to figure that out, at least initially there were a lot of flat out accusations.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary Pythag Pythag I'd like to hear more details about your reads of the other two.
Frozen - I think its very unlikely the high activity and energy from him comes from mafia. I had some issues with him but I think I was getting caught up on little details and missing the big picture that he seems pretty relaxed and open this game.
Pythag - I liked the way he was dealing with my questions and attention, he seemed not bothered by it, and he seems to be working on his own initiative and is pushing things here and there. He fooled me once before but there were clear miss-steps in that game and I just ignored them. Feel okay on him for now.

more off the cuff **** getting blown out of proportion here.
I'm talking about it because I was asked about it and it was bothering me to an extent. see above.

#HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary why did you like the above pythag post I just quoted where he votes me, yet you have me as a strong town read?
I liked that he gave a reads list, and I agreed with parts of it, like the Wam read and killing Synchro immediately. I feel like the points he made against you are completely reasonable as well?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
The post seemed very thoughtful The purpose would be at the very least to show where Besvii’s head is at, where they are coming from and how they will be interpreting things.
It seems There also is purpose in not just give a super blanket reads list. Having to read slower and engage with the post differently looks like it’s trying to inspire thought, and I see that as pro town

Where that gambit falls on its face is when I don’t know all the references, but I think even in my lack of knowledge I felt like I had some decent idea of what they thought of, each player they mentioned.

Scum!xivii goes for legitimate town defenses even if improbable
Scum!Bessie last time wouldn’t even argue the points levied against her, but answered questions no one was asking.

can they do something new?
of course, but without flips I don’t have any reference.

I don’t see either of those muddying tactics coming up yet, so I view that slot as more town
the bolded is absolutely bananas to me. Making it harder for other people to read your slot doesn't strike me as pro-town. I feel like being cryptic and vague and not very forthcoming is like textbook 'muddying the waters'.
So what do you mean by 'legitimate town defenses even if improbable' and is there a game you are thinking of in particular?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
why did you put me in your "scummy" category when you overtly state that you don't think my "out of character" act is necessarily scummy? shouldn't I be in null by your own stated logic here?
bruh :glare:

whats your take on my point in #340?
bruh

I think Pythag is not a great communicator as either alignment and so yes reading literally he is somewhat contradicting himself in putting you as "scummy but not scummy", but I don't consider him garbling his words to be scummy.

When I say his points against you seem fine, I'm not saying I agree with them or I think he has a good point;
just I can believe that Pythag thinks that and the points he was making didn't ping me as scummy.

Synchronicity

Smash Journeyman
Pythag Pythag could you explain the "concision is protown" line. Not what it means, but why it was something you remembered. Was it something that was debated about?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
When I say his points against you seem fine, I'm not saying I agree with them or I think he has a good point;
just I can believe that Pythag thinks that and the points he was making didn't ping me as scummy.
how is saying "FF not reading the rules with a fine tooth comb is out of character for you" and "I don't understand your position on gorf" making a "good point?"

these are statements of his own subjective feelings, they are not points being made

also the "bruh" comes from answering my question with a half statement half question which is wishy washy af

Chaco

Never Logs In
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame That’s why I’m saying it’s hard to figure out. Agree to disagree but that’s an odd pursuit don’t you think? 48 hours into the game. And whether you believe the bolder or not is basically irrelevant cause tbh why would I care other than the point I made? And furthermore why does it matter as your impression either? If I was gonna drive the wagon up as scum I wouldn’t be doing it in RVS and I think you know that. Like who actually tries to hardbody off an RVS wagon. Like that’s only happened to once to Hando. And I’m pretty sure he was scum though, I can’t remember exactly. Anyways, there’s nothing really further to refute at this point, and can’t base what I would do as scum on what you would do. Cause our play style isn’t similar in that aspect. You have the authority as a town/scum player to call people down whereas I do not. People kind’ve tend to, or used to, bow out to your veteran name so it works for you. Me calling it dumb is because it is just that. But like I said that will be made abundantly clear one way or the other, Lynch, NK, or post game. But with the current stage of this, it’s drug out as much as it can be and it’s not really serving any purpose to continue driving home on it cause my position isn’t gonna change.

About the Gorf thing, I truthfully don’t know. Iwasn’t getting any scum vibes off of him. Seemed, from what I remember, pretty typical to his play. Abrasive, blunt, etc. So I wouldn’t imagine that being a pocket attempt. Familiarity might’ve been taken into play, but I don’t see it as that.

somitomi somitomi Well first and foremost, I responded after I had already been asleep. Second, it’s kind’ve annoying when you try and make allowances and have been busy and because my meta is on the more active portion getting punished for that. See what I mean? It’s a leap and a big stretch. I think everyone seeing that case feels the same but feel the need to tack on as it furthers. Let’s just call it what it is, it’s a weak meta based argument. Stop feeding into the possibility that he’s right for a moment and look at the alternative of why he might do that. Is it strange to you 48 hours in to D1 he pursues a meta case like that? After FF and Kary have expressed minimal concerns with differing things? There’s just to much weirdness surrounding that. So instead of questioning it and asking why, he pursues to build a case on it. Would that be your natural progression at that stage? That’s why it’s so curious to me. Yes I am trying to figure it out. It is bad faith because he says previously he doesn’t like to go off of meta cases. (have to double check that was him, but if my memory serves that was in Midnight) I’m a gut player, so when something doesn’t feel right to me I start exploring why.

People who expressed concern in my slot or jumped on after:
FF (Didn’t like that I said equality)
Kary (Didn’t like my question)
Laser (Cold meta)
Boom (said he was waiting to see if I panned out To my original play style)
Somi (thinks I’m being aggressive in my responses)
Mala (doesn’t trust Laser or me due to this)
Wam (Parrots Laser)

And that’s without side commentary from others due to memory. Look at how inconsequential everything truly is to go it’s being blown up. D1 is getting sidetracked heavily. And that’s why I can’t figure out who is pulling the reigns here. But it’s scum driven in some facet for sure. Why am I sure of this? Because I’m sure of my alignment. If I was cleared, the conversation would shift most definitely.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
BoomFrog - Town Lean. Seems to be mostly flitting around on the sidelines, but his reads in #116 seem legitimate.
Sabrar - Town. Reasonably confident that this is Town Sabrar.
Can you elaborate on these two reads for me because I don't see it.

"I'm okay with that slot but I want to keep an eye on them" is a classic phrase as old as time used by scum who know they don't have anything concrete to attack the slot right now but want to keep their options open.
Xivii is like the poster child for a slot you cannot trust under any circumstances, but yeah I suppose if you ignore all of the context and just play mafia by numbers then I guess I can understand why you think that was scummy.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Scum
Kary - I don't like putting me and Gorf at the bottom of the reads list without as far as I can see mentioning us before https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24082071
Chaco - Explained above
Fontisian (Replacement for Gorf) - Explained responses to pressure Day 1 seemed to be defensive. I also haven't seen anything fron Font to change my mind yet.
TOWN
Mala
Laser
Frozen
-----
Dark Horse
Pythag
Somi
BoomFrog
------
Sabrar
Synchro
-----
Chaco
Gorf (fonti)
Wam
SCUM
is the complete mirroring of these two slots' bottom 3s weirding anyone else out at all?

Wam Wam fonti has posted a bunch since this, any update on your read there?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Clarification to the above: It was not Laser who said that about meta cases. Actually looking back he relies very heavily on meta, so much so it’s not surprising that he’s trying to make the connections he did. Looking forward, I can understand why the gross tunnel came into play. So that rules put Laser as the scummy one in this pursuit for now.

Top Bottom