• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TheSGL.com - UK/EU online tournament

Nic_T

Smash Rookie
Hi there.

First up, awesome site. Taken me a while to register but nevermind.

Anyway - my point. I've been searching around for a UK league/tournament system for Brawl and as yet had no real luck. I can see tournaments (both online and LAN) being organized via the boards which is fine, but I'll come to my point.

I do odd work for http://www.thesgl.com/ - a multigaming site based mostly in the UK running games such as 1.6, CSS, COD that kind of thing and we're basically looking to expand into a few console games. We've done a few 360 tournaments and the Wii is a console I'd want to take under my wing.

The tournament system is all there, (example: http://www.thesgl.com/cs/tournaments/130/standings/ ) and all we'd have to do is make a game type (example: http://www.thesgl.com/user/2302/teams/ - Add SSBM and then you simply add your ID to your profile) and you'd be away.

Basically I'm just posting for interest and whether you guys would be willing to sign up and give it a go. We've got a proven record (over 35,000 members) for a running tournaments and Brawl would be another we feel we could do.

Cheers.

Nic_T

Smash Rookie
Brawl sorry.

We've just set the site up to accept Brawl friend codes and we're going to be running a tournament shortly.

Nic_T

Smash Rookie
Thats because we haven't set up a tournament for it yet :)

Once you've registered, click control panel top right, then game IDs. Then whack your Brawl ID in the section that says "Wii- Friend Code" and click update.

We're going to get one setup by next week, hopefully some small cash prizes too. We're used to giving mousepads etc away but that doesn't really work for Brawl :p

Peanuts

Smash Rookie
Nice, there's a huge lack of tourneys where I live so this gives me a chance to get myself my competitive fix :)

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I respect the idea, but online tournaments are simply not a true test of skill. By far, especially with this game.

Mac Matrix

Smash Cadet
Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but why?
Lag.

On the subject of the online tournament, I've not been to a tourney before (North-east of the UK NEVER gets any bloody tournaments..) so I'm a little interested, but I'm just worried about the aforementioned lag.

I don't want to compete in the tournament if I'll be the only player who lags; I seem to have awful internet and I don't want to cause problems with people complaining 'that Mac Matrix ******* has laggy net, I'm not playing him. -votes for me to be D/Q'd-'

Otherwise like I said.. I'm interested.

(Btw. Please, don't take this post as any offense, I don't mean offense in any way, and I do say the tourney is a good suggestion. it's just my bad connection that lets me down.)

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
The main problem is that because of the lag, people's reaction skills don't work as they should. For example when someone rolls behind me offline, I can react to it and punish it, while online the input lag is too much to punish those simple things even if your reaction skill is godly. You see, the gap between beginner and pro is even smaller online than it is offline. Online was a terrible idea by nintendo anyway.

grayfox

Smash Champion
I think the idea was for the people who just wanna play it casually, which while it might not seem it to our community, and it never does, is what 99% of the game market is.

Kone

Smash Master
Mac Matrix - The North East of england has had the most large uk tournaments to date ran by myself!!!!!

Top Bottom