• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There's finally an article about Smash Hell!

Doug the Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameWatch22
I sent an email to Kotaku asking them if they could write about the Smash Hell, and they did it! Finally, it is documented in a gaming news website! This is great because we have to voice our dissatisfaction with the report system, and it was honestly kind of scattered; you would find threads on message boards about it but now it's all documented in a single, complete report about it. Here's the link:

http://kotaku.com/a-look-inside-smash-bros-hell-a-depressing-battlegr-1785089091

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Finally!!

Jesus Christ, took them long enough. I told Kotaku, IGN, Polygon and Gamespot months ago.

You're the real MVP and I can't thank you enough for getting a major gaming site to talk.

Last edited:

Agitato

Smash Cadet
NNID
AgitatoEX
3DS FC
1822-1384-9573
Even though her writing was pretty cringe (more or less on par for Kotaku), it's good that there's some attention being given to the issue.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Even though her writing was pretty cringe (more or less on par for Kotaku), it's good that there's some attention being given to the issue.
It was pretty bad.
It hasn't been around for a few years. The game hasn't even been out for two years. Smash Hell started around May 2015.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Please save us, i just got banned on the wii u not to long ago, and I just got some new damn good mods for fox. I'm so glad it finally happened.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
Finally it's actually out there. But more recognition, please. I want this system to be changed, or at least acknowledged when the next Smash game comes around.

By the way, sending several reports does result in a ban; i was reporting every person teaming up on me in For Fun until the game said I was going to be disconnected for sending too many reports. I was banned for 20 minutes. I should have taken a screenshot, my bad.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Finally it's actually out there. But more recognition, please. I want this system to be changed, or at least acknowledged when the next Smash game comes around.

By the way, sending several reports does result in a ban; i was reporting every person teaming up on me in For Fun until the game said I was going to be disconnected for sending too many reports. I was banned for 20 minutes. I should have taken a screenshot, my bad.
That might be new. I've heard that after a certain amount of reports, you can't report anymore. But I've never heard of it punishing you.
Still pretty stupid, tho. What if all those reports were legitimate?

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
That might be new. I've heard that after a certain amount of reports, you can't report anymore. But I've never heard of it punishing you.
Still pretty stupid, tho. What if all those reports were legitimate?
Yeah, see, it said "you have sent too many reports", then immediately disconnected me afterwards.

Which, yeah, it's extremely stupid if I were to put it nicely, because out of my (probably) 900 reports, maybe like 1 or 2 was out of salt, and that was like, day 1. And what actually got me banned was the flood of LEGITIMATE reports. Cool.

xxsoc

Smash Rookie
I just got soft banned for absolutely no reason. I found this thread after wondering why I could only find matches with other Aussies and taking 5-10 mins to find an opponent. Matchmaking works fine on my 3DS.

I can't believe this is actually a thing. Smash is dead to me now, I'm moving to Street Fighter and will not be spending another cent on Nintendo since they have basically stolen from me, as I only bought the Wii U to play Smash and I'm only interested in multiplayer.

It's a shame because it was fun firing up the game and playing a nice set of matches. My win rate wasn't even that high, bouncing from around 60%-70%. It took 6k matches to get banned and I've been banned for over two weeks so far. None of my friends play video games and even if they did they do not have a competitive mindset and so would have no fun playing me anyway and tournaments are rare in my area. Even if there was a strong tournament scene I still want to be able to play my game whenever I feel like.

I haven't done anything that warrants a ban. I don't bother taunting or any other type of disrespect such as spamming crouch because I don't care. I don't change name tags for communication, because again, I don't care.

The only thing I've done is SD in lag matches because they are a pointless waste of my time.

I was thinking of trying Pokken Tournament but I can't stand the thought of giving Nintendo money after this so PS4 and Street Fighter 5 it is while I upgrade my gaming rig.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
The only thing I've done is SD in lag matches because they are a pointless waste of my time.

I was thinking of trying Pokken Tournament but I can't stand the thought of giving Nintendo money after this so PS4 and Street Fighter 5 it is while I upgrade my gaming rig.
first off, sorry that it's come to this.

secondly, unfortunately, SDs are SDs; a major point where Nintendo and co. messed up horribly was punishing players for quitting or SDing, regardless of connection quality. I refuse to believe they had no means of remedying this, as Namco Bandai worked on this game extensively. Namco Bandai also worked on Soulcalibur V, which had a feature (imperfect, sure, but something I take over Smash's nonsense anyday) that would automatically stop the match if it lagged too much. Yeah, it got annoying when seemingly lagless matches just get the plug pulled off for no reason, but that's much, much better than forcing each player to either suffer a so-called 2-minute free for all (when in real time amounts to like 5-6 minutes since the timer is slowed by lag) or quitting, which leads to a 10+ minute ban, or SDs, which doesn't do anything in the short term but adds up when more salty 12 year olds report you.

if there's anything that contributed to this, it's definitely your (though warranted) SDs.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've never been to Smash Hell before (and hopefully it stays that way), but I have heard and known about it for quite some time.

Even if the article wasn't the best in the world it's nice to see that it's finally gaining enough attention to actually be written about, even if it was Kotaku. I've read so many numerous complaints, stories, and more about people getting sent to Smash Hell for doing nothing more than simply being good at the game. I'm sorry that all the good players have to deal with salt levels so high that they actually suffer for being good. I hate the fact anyone can report you just for the heck of it. This is why the report system needs a serious fix.

This might be small; however it's still a good step in the right direction. Even if they don't change the system for this game this might open their eyes to make a better one for the next game (if they ever do another one). I really do hope that those affected will finally get justice.

I don't even know if I've ever been reported before, but I still fear the day I might end up getting in Smash Hell because of salty reporting.

While I understand most rules Nintendo has implemented I was always curious to see why SDs are punishable. I mean you still lose the match because it's not like a disconnect, right? Plus you have kids that play online and usually there's some players that have no idea what they're doing or know how to recover, so they might unintentionally rack up dozens of SDs and get banned for it, right?

Personally I have never SD'd for any given reason unless it was by complete accident; however, wouldn't it be better to just sandbag/let the player hit you a few times before doing it so it doesn't count as an SD? I mean you're losing either way from it so why not?

You'd be able to avoid the ban penalty at least.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
While I understand most rules Nintendo has implemented I was always curious to see why SDs are punishable. I mean you still lose the match because it's not like a disconnect, right? Plus you have kids that play online and usually there's some players that have no idea what they're doing or know how to recover, so they might unintentionally rack up dozens of SDs and get banned for it, right?

Personally I have never SD'd for any given reason unless it was by complete accident; however, wouldn't it be better to just sandbag/let the player hit you a few times before doing it so it doesn't count as an SD? I mean you're losing either way from it so why not?
I would imagine that rule was instated for at least one of the following reasons:

1) abusing the point system in free-for-alls; making your taunt buddies "KO" you when really they just jabbed you and you voluntarily leapt off so that the one player u hate so much doesn't win.
2) hordes of people joining lobbies just to use Bowser's Side B to SD, taking someone else down with them
3) if ur just hopping off the stage nonstop, you're not really playing the game

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
just go to smashladder or play with friends if this ever becomes a problem, you won't get banned there for silly things.

there's also a matchmaking server on discord, there are so many other ways to play this game than for glory, and it can be a lot more fun as well

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
just go to smashladder or play with friends if this ever becomes a problem, you won't get banned there for silly things.

there's also a matchmaking server on discord, there are so many other ways to play this game than for glory, and it can be a lot more fun as well
Pretty much the only solution if you want your online fix in Smash if you're sent to this place.

Also playing against Twitch players, don't forget that!

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Does smash 3ds even have smash hell? How do i know if im in it?
Yes, you'll know if you can't find anyone in for fun or 4 player modes.

I was unbanned yesterday, but I'm not playing for a little longer so that the cool down system can take me off of what I call "final stand".

xxsoc

Smash Rookie
Out of interest I just logged on for a bit to check if I was still banned and I am after two weeks. I have been banned for over three weeks as I didn't realize what was going on until a week of this rubbish. The Nintendo guy I contacted said that I am "restricted" in Smash and the reason he claimed is that people who lost to me reported me because they may have thought I was somehow cheating in some way.

Ironically the people I played against were all much more skilled compared to what I'm used to except for one and none of them were doing anything worthy of a ban, so I'm guessing the poor people got unfairly sent there too.

I've been trying out Street Fighter 5 but the matchmaking is shocking in that it takes forever to find you an opponent even if you set the search to accept literally everyone. I have to listen to an audiobook and practice tech in training mode while waiting because it can be so long. I actually find matches faster in this Smash Hell garbage. It is definitely tied to hardware and not NNID as my 3DS with same ID is not banned but my Wii U under any ID is banned.

I'm not sure if I should just transfer everything to my external HDD, buy a new console and transfer NNID over and then give it to my bro who has no internet access anyway, but then I would likely just get banned again especially now that people know they can weaponize it.

I really miss Smash but after contacting Nintendo there doesn't seem to be any solution. According to the Nintendo rep, SD'ing doesn't affect Smash Hell it is merely volume of reports and they aren't looked at by an actual person. What am I meant to do? Lose on purpose? How would I even know which players would get salty and report me for nothing to even purposefully lose against them? I hope Nintendo get their karma and the NX flops like the Dreamcast did and then they can make games for other consoles like Sega do, consoles without report functions that can be abused.

It seems the Smash Hell servers are region based as I found all my opponents have been Aussies like me after checking their profiles and most matches have very little lag aside from the occasional idiot who purposefully causes lag exactly when I'm recovering or edge guarding but the connection is fine in every other situation.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Out of interest I just logged on for a bit to check if I was still banned and I am after two weeks. I have been banned for over three weeks as I didn't realize what was going on until a week of this rubbish. The Nintendo guy I contacted said that I am "restricted" in Smash and the reason he claimed is that people who lost to me reported me because they may have thought I was somehow cheating in some way.

Ironically the people I played against were all much more skilled compared to what I'm used to except for one and none of them were doing anything worthy of a ban, so I'm guessing the poor people got unfairly sent there too.

I've been trying out Street Fighter 5 but the matchmaking is shocking in that it takes forever to find you an opponent even if you set the search to accept literally everyone. I have to listen to an audiobook and practice tech in training mode while waiting because it can be so long. I actually find matches faster in this Smash Hell garbage. It is definitely tied to hardware and not NNID as my 3DS with same ID is not banned but my Wii U under any ID is banned.

I'm not sure if I should just transfer everything to my external HDD, buy a new console and transfer NNID over and then give it to my bro who has no internet access anyway, but then I would likely just get banned again especially now that people know they can weaponize it.

I really miss Smash but after contacting Nintendo there doesn't seem to be any solution. According to the Nintendo rep, SD'ing doesn't affect Smash Hell it is merely volume of reports and they aren't looked at by an actual person. What am I meant to do? Lose on purpose? How would I even know which players would get salty and report me for nothing to even purposefully lose against them? I hope Nintendo get their karma and the NX flops like the Dreamcast did and then they can make games for other consoles like Sega do, consoles without report functions that can be abused.

It seems the Smash Hell servers are region based as I found all my opponents have been Aussies like me after checking their profiles and most matches have very little lag aside from the occasional idiot who purposefully causes lag exactly when I'm recovering or edge guarding but the connection is fine in every other situation.
I have been banned for a month and 2 weeks before. It was my first time I think it was. If you're still banned though after 3 weeks, this means you have been playing either after or before acknowledging the ban. The ban lasts for only a week, 8 days, so the day you were banned is the same day next week you are unbanned. I recently got done doing my time on Wii U, but just because I'm out, doesn't mean I exactly free yet. I'm on probation, where any small amount of reports can **** me over, throwing me back into my cell. Last week I was arrested and charged for I don't know what on the 3DS now.

You can get sent to smash jail/hell for crossing the rules. I would get disconnected from the game for one of the common disconnects rules followed by a soft ban. That's how I got banned a last week and a half ago because I kept self destructing in only one match, then BAM! Soft Banned.

I know you're pain, everything you feel right now was exaclty how I felt at the time of this happening. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, either way, you're getting reported because that player does not like you nor your playstyle even if they win. There is no escape from being reported, which is why I say either have people monitor the reports and claims or do away with the system as it's unfair and inconvenient for players.

Last edited:

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
How the hell do you even report someone? I don't see any button or anything for it so im assuming the people reporting you go out of their way to be ****bags.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
How the hell do you even report someone? I don't see any button or anything for it so im assuming the people reporting you go out of their way to be ****bags.
After the match ends, at the results screen, you have the option to look at the other player's stats and profile information by pressing X or Y.
Pulling out their information such as their smash quote, Miiverse page, NNID add as a friend, or options like Block or Report.

Of course many choose to report rather than block and thus, Smash Hell/Jail is born.

Last edited:

xxsoc

Smash Rookie
I have been banned for a month and 2 weeks before. It was my first time I think it was. If you're still banned though after 3 weeks, this means you have been playing either after or before acknowledging the ban. The ban lasts for only a week, 8 days, so the day you were banned is the same day next week you are unbanned. I recently got done doing my time on Wii U, but just because I'm out, doesn't mean I exactly free yet. I'm on probation, where any small amount of reports can **** me over, throwing me back into my cell. Last week I was arrested and charged for I don't know what on the 3DS now.

You can get sent to smash jail/hell for crossing the rules. I would get disconnected from the game for one of the common disconnects rules followed by a soft ban. That's how I got banned a last week and a half ago because I kept self destructing in only one match, then BAM! Soft Banned.

I know you're pain, everything you feel right now was exaclty how I felt at the time of this happening. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, either way, you're getting reported because that player does not like you nor your playstyle even if they win. There is no escape from being reported, which is why I say either have people monitor the reports and claims or do away with the system as it's unfair and inconvenient for players.
Nice to know that breaking the rules does affect it despite what the Nintendo guy told me. Guess I'll try again in two months and see how things are or if I just end up banned again after a few matches.

While I wait, can anyone suggest a good fighting game to play in the meantime aside from Street Fighter. Street Fighter is good but the wait times in between matches are a killer.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Nice to know that breaking the rules does affect it despite what the Nintendo guy told me. Guess I'll try again in two months and see how things are or if I just end up banned again after a few matches.

While I wait, can anyone suggest a good fighting game to play in the meantime aside from Street Fighter. Street Fighter is good but the wait times in between matches are a killer.
Pokken tournament, super smash bros 64, super smash bros brawl, mortal kombat x, etc
Might get Pokken tournament

Top Bottom