• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There should be something like the FIFA World Cup in Smash Bros.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
Excuse my ignorance if something like this already exists. After watching many games of the 2014 World Cup, I was thinking, we should have a similar tournament that consists of countries' top players competing with other countries in a form of crew battles and that is held once every one or two years, kind of like Apex and EVO. What do you guys think?

Downnice

Smash Rookie
Would be nice but the only problem is I think the USA would dominate the tournament.

Excuse me if I am wrong

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
Would be nice but the only problem is I think the USA would dominate the tournament.

Excuse me if I am wrong
That may depend. I live in America an all but I wasn't born there. I would represent the country I am from. People can choose to represent whichever country they want, as long as they have enough players for it. I'm sure there are different nationalities in America to fix this issue. Plus, if they did dominate, it would give a good reason for the metagame of countries to develop further. That way, we'll have even better, more hyped battles in the future.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, there's the logistical issue of getting a ton of people from different countries to fly in and converge in one central location... to play a smash tournament. It's not exactly economically feasible. It would be fun if there was something like it that was done online, although admittedly it wouldn't be as exciting.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually really down with this idea. I'm wondering if anyone would arrange this, too. Project M would be the most legit game to do this, but it wouldn't be a wise idea to do something like this until PM is finished PAL release and all... I'm aware that you could play PM on PAL consoles with a little magic, but a proper PAL release will get the masses interested. Unfortunately, many people will not put in the extra effort to play one game, even if it is PM.

Bleck

Smash Master
The enduring popularity of the World Cup on a global scale is because soccer is largely considered the most accessible of sports, i.e if you have a ball that's big enough to kick, you can play soccer.

One of the biggest hurdles to e-sports at this point is that they suffer from the exact opposite; competitive games require a comparatively enormous financial investment. Pertinently, to start playing Melee or Project M you need to buy a forty dollar controller, a forty dollar game, a console that'll run you at least one hundred dollars, and an old CRT TV (which are themselves becoming more and more scarce and expensive). Not a lot of people have the time or money to commit to something like that, and even fewer people are gonna have the patience to not regret the decision.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
I think if people get sponsored to play, there wouldn't be any problems, but that is highly unlikely. Or maybe regional tournaments in countries can sponsor their top players. So instead of giving the winner the cash pot, they can use it as a flying sponsor.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub

Excuse me if I am wrong
I think you mean JAPAN would.
But, seriously this would be pretty awesome to see. I just don't think the Crew part would be that realistic.

Top Bottom