• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U [Theory] The Wii U version will have Playable Bosses

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
This idea has been floating around for a while now, and recently became more popular with the release of the 3DS version of the game (I'll get into why later). I thought it would be nice to have a place where all of the evidence is compiled.

This theory says that the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will allow the gamepad user to play as bosses on select stages. The other players would have to defeat the boss to win the game. This mode could be separate from the regular Smash mode, or integrated in it with a special CSS on the gamepad to pick these bosses. This could potentially be a 5-player mode.

Evidence?
So far two bosses that are exclusive to the Wii U version have been heavily hinted at, being Ridley and Metal Face. There are two other "bosses," which act more like glorified stage hazards, but they do not effect this theory because they're featured in the 3DS version and would thus not be playable (even if they're also on the Wii U version, like the Yellow Devil).

The main piece of evidence for this theory is that neither Wii U-exclusive bosses have been fully revealed, only heavily hinted at. We see their shadow, maybe hear their voice, but that's it. This is especially interesting because Metal Face, who was implied to be a boss on Guar Plains, is missing from the stage on the 3DS for an unexplained reason. Why would Metal Face be missing from the 3DS stage if the Yellow Devil can exist on both?

Also, the Wii U version is going to need something to convince people to buy it, and in a lot of cases to buy a Wii U as well. Sure, there will be new modes and new maps, but the main reason people buy Smash games is for the characters. But Sakurai has already stated on multiple occasions that the roster for both versions will be identical, so regular characters that are exclusive to the Wii U won't be happening, and thus can't be used to convince people. With the relatively low sales of the Wii U and the split in the fanbase between the 3DS and Wii U versions, Smash Bros. has the potential to be one of the worst selling in the series' history, if nothing else it won't be anything near Brawl's numbers. It needs playable characters to convince people to buy it, and playable bosses would work perfectly. They would technically keep the roster the same, create a bunch of hype, and satisfy people who have been wanting Ridley and other boss characters.

Who?
Ridley and Metal Face are obvious shoe-ins for a mode such as this for obvious reasons; but these two definitely won't be the only bosses in the game. I personally believe that most franchises with 2+ reps will get a boss, especially the ones with a lot of reps like Mario, LoZ, and Pokemon. Smaller franchises will obviously get bosses too, as evident by Metal Face. Here's who I personally think (or hope) has a good chance of being a boss (spoiler because it takes up a bit of space):

-Yveltal (Pokemon)

+ I only say this because they're absent from the Pokeballs despite Xerneas being there, he has boss potential so it could potentially mean they're saving him for that.

-Tyrantrum (Pokemon)

+ Okay, this one is more of a hope, but they are one of the Pokemon that Pokemon Champion Diantha uses in X/Y, so they would fit in on the Elite Four stage, which could possibly be a reason it hasn't been officially announced yet despite being shown off.

-Armogohma (The Legend of Zelda)

+ LoZ representation in Smash is definitely focused around Twilight Princess. I feel like a boss characters is likely to hail from that game, especially since we've already seen what might be our only Skyward Sword stage and it doesn't look like a boss could be seen there. Armogohma just feels like they would be a good fit as a boss, and I feel like they're a good representation of Twilight Princess.

-Chaos Kin (Kid Icarus)

+ I only say Chaos Kin because of the Palutena's Temple map, which is where Chaos Kin is encountered, having taken control of Palutena. Chaos Kin's main ability would be to grab players and drag them off the map. Because of this, the other players would require teamwork to stay alive, similar to the Luigi's Mansion game from Nintendo Land. With the size of Palutena's Temple, it would be relatively easy for one to get separated from the group and become easy pickings.

-Master Hand (Super Smash Bros.)

+ You can't have a playable boss mode in Smash Bros. without including the boss that's been there since the beginning. Master Hand is the Smash Bros. boss, I feel like he would be a requirement in a mode such as this.

-Dino Piranha (Super Mario)

+ This is probably the most hope-based boss on this list, but there is a tiny bit of evidence so I guess I'll include them. Dino Piranha is encountered in Super Mario Galaxy, they're the first boss of the game and the battle takes place on a small tannish-colored planetoid, the same one primarily featured in the skybox of the Galaxy stage in Smash. This could suggest that Dino Piranha might be a boss, but it's a bit of a stretch. If not Dino Piranha, then I feel that Petey Piranha would be included due to their appearance in SSE.

-Porky (Mother/EarthBound)

+ I'll admit, I don't know much about this character or this series in general, but I feel like Porky has a good chance simply due to his appearance in SSE.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
no ridley 0/10 (jk)
If I had the chance to play as Ridley, I'd do it.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This would be so ****ing funny as a Pic of The Day.

"Pic of the day. Exclusive to the Wii U, you can play as your favorite boss characters!! Using the Wii U GamePad, you can play as the stage bosses, including Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Ridley!!"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This would only make sense if the 3DS gets DLC to do the same.

They are going to have the same playable characters. Period. No exceptions.

Also, Yellow Devil doesn't make much sense as playable due to his properties. Ridley, sure. Even Master Hand could work(play as him in 64 and Melee and you'll notice that while he's odd, he totally works as a unique character).

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
This would only make sense if the 3DS gets DLC to do the same.

They are going to have the same playable characters. Period. No exceptions.

Also, Yellow Devil doesn't make much sense as playable due to his properties. Ridley, sure. Even Master Hand could work(play as him in 64 and Melee and you'll notice that while he's odd, he totally works as a unique character).
This would technically be a new mode exclusive to the Wii U, rather than more playable characters in the same vein as the rest of the fighters, so both games having the same roster may not apply here.

As I said in the OP, the Yellow Devil wouldn't be included as a playable boss due to his appearance in the 3DS version as well.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm not ok with this. After awhile, the boss characters would feel stiff from only being able to be functional on their home stages. When I play as my favorite characters, I want to play as them on every stage. As well as the other modes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This would technically be a new mode exclusive to the Wii U, rather than more playable characters in the same vein as the rest of the fighters, so both games having the same roster may not apply here.

As I said in the OP, the Yellow Devil wouldn't be included as a playable boss due to his appearance in the 3DS version as well.
Incorrect. They are playable characters in this scenario. And Yellow Devil probably wouldn't be playable due to his properties alone.

The idea sounds nice, but it doesn't work. They're either playable or they're not. He didn't just say roster, but made it clear that "The playable characters will be the same for both versions." Yellow Devil is unlikely to happen, but Ridley(if he is), Master Hand, and Crazy Hand all have very playable movesets. Master Core could have a weak variant that's easy to control, but still unlikely due to his weird design. He might be an exception.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Incorrect. They are playable characters in this scenario. And Yellow Devil probably wouldn't be playable due to his properties alone.

The idea sounds nice, but it doesn't work. They're either playable or they're not. He didn't just say roster, but made it clear that "The playable characters will be the same for both versions." Yellow Devil is unlikely to happen, but Ridley(if he is), Master Hand, and Crazy Hand all have very playable movesets. Master Core could have a weak variant that's easy to control, but still unlikely due to his weird design. He might be an exception.
It really depends on what Sakurai meant when he said that, we need direct quotes, but I can't find any right now.

I don't see why you keep bringing up Yellow Devil, I never once said he would be one of the bosses, I specifically said the opposite and explained why in the OP.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It really depends on what Sakurai meant when he said that, we need direct quotes, but I can't find any right now.

I don't see why you keep bringing up Yellow Devil, I never once said he would be one of the bosses, I specifically said the opposite and explained why in the OP.
And the only reason he isn't going to be playable is not because he's in both. That's irrelevant. It's because he's scripted too much to be unable to "use" attacks at a glance. He's not like a regular boss like Master Hand or Tabuu is. He's a timed stage hazard by actual design.

And yes, he made it clear that both versions will have the same playable characters. He originally used the word roster, and changed it to characters to be far more clear. He at first said "same number on the roster", but that could be interpreted to mean exclusives, as long as the number was the same. He then changed it to "exact same playable characters." Paraphrased, mind you, but that's the context of what he meant.

What you're asking for is not going to happen if Sakurai keeps his word. The playable characters will be the same in both versions no matter what. The only way it won't is if Nintendo/Bandai Namco intervenes. But Sakurai is 100% against your idea.

I am too, honestly. I think it's ridiculous to leave any playable character out in any version of the same game. I don't care that much for sequels, though. It's a new game with new mechanics. Both games are the same mechanics. Only differences is Courses/Assist Trophies/Music/Graphics/Modes and that's it. The playable characters must be the same to make sure no one is left out. That's the key point for his decisions. The characters drive the series the most. That's the major reason they have the same ones.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
And the only reason he isn't going to be playable is not because he's in both. That's irrelevant. It's because he's scripted too much to be unable to "use" attacks at a glance. He's not like a regular boss like Master Hand or Tabuu is. He's a timed stage hazard by actual design.

And yes, he made it clear that both versions will have the same playable characters. He originally used the word roster, and changed it to characters to be far more clear. He at first said "same number on the roster", but that could be interpreted to mean exclusives, as long as the number was the same. He then changed it to "exact same playable characters." Paraphrased, mind you, but that's the context of what he meant.

What you're asking for is not going to happen if Sakurai keeps his word. The playable characters will be the same in both versions no matter what. The only way it won't is if Nintendo/Bandai Namco intervenes. But Sakurai is 100% against your idea.

I am too, honestly. I think it's ridiculous to leave any playable character out in any version of the same game. I don't care that much for sequels, though. It's a new game with new mechanics. Both games are the same mechanics. Only differences is Courses/Assist Trophies/Music/Graphics/Modes and that's it. The playable characters must be the same to make sure no one is left out. That's the key point for his decisions. The characters drive the series the most. That's the major reason they have the same ones.
That's besides my point, I'm saying that might have been designed as a timed stage hazard because he's on both versions and thus won't be a playable boss. It doesn't really matter why, the point is that he isn't.

Again, we need direct quotes. It sounds like you have access to them, so why not post them? And if you don't have access to them, it's best not to quote someone off of memory due to how unreliable memory can be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's besides my point, I'm saying that might have been designed as a timed stage hazard because he's on both versions and thus won't be a playable boss. It doesn't really matter why, the point is that he isn't.

Again, we need direct quotes. It sounds like you have access to them, so why not post them? And if you don't have access to them, it's best not to quote someone off of memory due to how unreliable memory can be.
I do not have access to them. I just properly remember the context of what he said. That both games will have the exact same playable characters.

And that makes sense for Yellow Devil. That he was never meant to be playable no matter what. Either way, no exclusive characters will exist anyway. The Wii U introducing this mode and having it as DLC later is the only realistic option we'll find. Otherwise, might as well let the idea go.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think Porky would be hilarious to use, mix some Giygas in there and the EarthBound / Mother stage would all of a sudden become one of the most epic ones.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't thinking of a boss mode, and that idea makes more sense than what I was predicting, but I was thinking of having boss be playable for a bit by item drops in the regular game. Like, Ridley's size is a big issue to make him a normal character... So why change it? Capitalize on it.

Sakurai could easily get past people's interpretations of what he said based on technicalities. During Bioshock Infinite's development, Ken Levine said something along the lines of Bioshock and Infinite not taking place in the same universe, and... Well, everyone knows what happened with that.

Last edited:

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Not sure why people are against the Wii U version having a superior mode in it over the 3ds version. It is a 60 dollar CONSOLE game after all. If we're paying an extra 20 bucks, shouldn't we get a little more? Just because a person doesn't wish to own the system, doesn't mean that the Wii U version should be the SAME as the 3ds besides roster size. Also, I wouldn't consider bosses as "characters" if they can only be played with the game pad, on a single stage. So Sakurai still wouldn't be "lying" to 3ds players, because the overall roster is still the same. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai could easily get past people's interpretations of what he said based on technicalities. During Bioshock Infinite's development, Ken Levine said something along the lines of Bioshock and Infinite not taking place in the same universe, and... Well, everyone knows what happened with that.
Nope. They're all playable on both versions, or none are. Reading the full context of his statements, both version will have the same playable character list. Period. He made this blatantly clear. He first said "roster number", but realized that could include exclusives by design. Then he changed to "same playable characters".

The guy is good at mincing words, but he was beyond clear on this. It will not be an exclusive mode in any way. At all. Being introduced on the Wii U then DLC for the 3DS version, however? Totally possible.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Nope. They're all playable on both versions, or none are. Reading the full context of his statements, both version will have the same playable character list. Period. He made this blatantly clear. He first said "roster number", but realized that could include exclusives by design. Then he changed to "same playable characters".

The guy is good at mincing words, but he was beyond clear on this. It will not be an exclusive mode in any way. At all. Being introduced on the Wii U then DLC for the 3DS version, however? Totally possible.
Do you have quotes? It's very easy to misremember stuff like this, I would know, I've done it before. If you go back and look at the quotes from a different perspective you might realize you may have misinterpreted the context. Take this one for example:

Essentially between the two versions the character structure is the same, and the moves shared between the characters are the same, but the stages are entirely different. On the 3DS, we've taken the motif of handheld games and then on the Wii U version, featured primarily stages based on games on console.
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

It's pretty obvious to me that he's referring to the regular playable roster that we know, especially because he says that the moves are the same in both versions. Nothing here rules out different modes like playable bosses.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you have quotes? It's very easy to misremember stuff like this, I would know, I've done it before. If you go back and look at the quotes from a different perspective you might realize you may have misinterpreted the context. Take this one for example:
I do not. I told you that before. I have not misinterpreted a thing. Both playable characters will be the same.

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

It's pretty obvious to me that he's referring to the regular playable roster that we know, especially because he says that the moves are the same in both versions. Nothing here rules out different modes like playable bosses.
It's pretty obvious to me that any and all characters will be playable on both.

Also, how can you have "characters playing the same on both versions" if they don't exist on that version. It doesn't make sense in that context.

It's not happening. And that's an older interview. There was a newer one that was more specific on it, if I remember that a bit more correctly. He does more directly mentioned a long time back that "both rosters will have the same number", although I can't remember it word for word.

Either way, if Ridley is playable on the Wii U version, his chances of being playable on the 3DS version is 100% bar Sakurai being gone from the development. That's the only chance of it happening.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I do not. I told you that before. I have not misinterpreted a thing. Both playable characters will be the same.

It's pretty obvious to me that any and all characters will be playable on both.

Also, how can you have "characters playing the same on both versions" if they don't exist on that version. It doesn't make sense in that context.

It's not happening. And that's an older interview. There was a newer one that was more specific on it, if I remember that a bit more correctly. He does more directly mentioned a long time back that "both rosters will have the same number", although I can't remember it word for word.

Either way, if Ridley is playable on the Wii U version, his chances of being playable on the 3DS version is 100% bar Sakurai being gone from the development. That's the only chance of it happening.
The "same number" bit is from the E3 2013 Smash Direct. Maybe instead of just saying that your interpretations are completely correct and expecting me to trust you on that you should find sources to back up your claims like I have.

That quote was definitely talking about the regular playable roster, just like every time I can find that Sakurai mentions that fact. You can tell from his wording that he's talking about fighters. I don't see how it being an older interview helps your case at all.

There's a good amount of evidence for it, and the most you can gather going against it is Sakurai saying that the roster will be the same on both versions, which may or may not apply for playable bosses depending on how Sakurai views them and what he means when he says that.

Also, unless they plan on adding a bunch of stages from the Wii U to the 3DS, playable bosses won't be patched it. So far only one stage that would have one is present on the 3DS.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The "same number" bit is from the E3 2013 Smash Direct. Maybe instead of just saying that your interpretations are completely correct and expecting me to trust you on that you should find sources to back up your claims like I have.

That quote was definitely talking about the regular playable roster, just like every time I can find that Sakurai mentions that fact. You can tell from his wording that he's talking about fighters. I don't see how it being an older interview helps your case at all.

Honestly? It sounds to me like you don't want it to happen and therefor don't think it will. There's a good amount of evidence for it, and the most you can gather going against it is Sakurai saying that the roster will be the same on both versions, which may or may not apply for playable bosses depending on how Sakurai views them and what he means when he says that.

Also, unless they plan on adding a bunch of stages from the Wii U to the 3DS, playable bosses won't be patched it. So far only one stage that would have one is present on the 3DS.
I don't accept bullcrap. I am well aware of Sakurai's views on this, and it's 100% against what you're trying to do. It's a neat idea, but screwing people out of playable fighters(and yes, they count as playable fighters just by definition, after all) is not going to happen.

Also, every playable "boss" so far works on every stage available. Ridley, even in Brawl, can work on any and all stages. Actually observing his abilities, those are not "stage specific". Meta Ridley was based upon the regular stage instead. Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core have Final Destination. And with programming, work on many stages(including Final Destination Modes, huh, crazy that...). Metal Face's "stage" is in the 3DS version. That Mii Boss is so far only seen on the 3DS, but we have yet to see properties that couldn't work on others. The only thing playing as a boss would do would reduce your course choice at best. So no, that's completely incorrect from an actual development point. Anybody can be made to work on anywhere if they were meant to be playable.

Ridley counts as a fighter if you can play as him. That's kind of a duh(seriously, how can he not? If he's a playable character, he's a fighter. If he's not playable, he isn't a fighter. Dur.). Giga Bowser had a player file in Brawl because you could play as him. The bosses did not otherwise. They weren't controllable properly with hacks, because they had a new playstyle. In 64 and Melee, Master Hand was almost entirely the same as a regular playable fighter. His main difference was being glitchy(requiring Final Destination to be properly played as) and that he had HP and could float(however, in Melee, you could no longer control his movement. Every move was a scripted command, and he only moved during those commands, but never by using the direction movement from the D-Pad/Control Stick).

------------

The reality is, the only way this'll work is if it affects specific characters that can work on both games as playable. That could be DLC or connecting both systems to unlock the mode. It will never be an exclusive. Ever. No exclusive playable characters was his biggest goal with both versions. Something time and time again he's made clear. Let it go already. You're 100% wrong on that idea.

I would not mind this as an exclusive New 3DS idea, however. As in, get this, it doesn't apply to the 3DS and Wii U version. Then he would not be lying about having playable fighters being the same exact ones on both versions. The "3rd" version does not fall under his law here.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I want there to be.
I doubt there will be, though.

What I wouldn't give to play as Master Core...

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I don't accept bullcrap. I am well aware of Sakurai's views on this, and it's 100% against what you're trying to do. It's a neat idea, but screwing people out of playable fighters(and yes, they count as playable fighters just by definition, after all) is not going to happen.

Also, every playable "boss" so far works on every stage available. Ridley, even in Brawl, can work on any and all stages. Actually observing his abilities, those are not "stage specific". Meta Ridley was based upon the regular stage instead. Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core have Final Destination. And with programming, work on many stages(including Final Destination Modes, huh, crazy that...). Metal Face's "stage" is in the 3DS version. That Mii Boss is so far only seen on the 3DS, but we have yet to see properties that couldn't work on others. The only thing playing as a boss would do would reduce your course choice at best. So no, that's completely incorrect from an actual development point. Anybody can be made to work on anywhere if they were meant to be playable.

Ridley counts as a fighter if you can play as him. That's kind of a duh(seriously, how can he not? If he's a playable character, he's a fighter. If he's not playable, he isn't a fighter. Dur.). Giga Bowser had a player file in Brawl because you could play as him. The bosses did not otherwise. They weren't controllable properly with hacks, because they had a new playstyle. In 64 and Melee, Master Hand was almost entirely the same as a regular playable fighter. His main difference was being glitchy(requiring Final Destination to be properly played as) and that he had HP and could float(however, in Melee, you could no longer control his movement. Every move was a scripted command, and he only moved during those commands, but never by using the direction movement from the D-Pad/Control Stick).

------------

The reality is, the only way this'll work is if it affects specific characters that can work on both games as playable. That could be DLC or connecting both systems to unlock the mode. It will never be an exclusive. Ever. No exclusive playable characters was his biggest goal with both versions. Something time and time again he's made clear. Let it go already. You're 100% wrong on that idea.

I would not mind this as an exclusive New 3DS idea, however. As in, get this, it doesn't apply to the 3DS and Wii U version. Then he would not be lying about having playable fighters being the same exact ones on both versions. The "3rd" version does not fall under his law here.
Sorry, I didn't realize that your interpretations of what Sakurai said, which are based on memory, are more valid than mine. How do you know that Sakurai doesn't consider playable bosses and playable fighters different things? Every quote I've found from Sakurai regarding the rosters on both versions definitely seems to be referring to the actual roster than extra stuff like bosses. I have yet to find him even use the term "playable characters." Is it not going to happen (which it might not, this is just a theory after all), or do you not want it to happen?

Giga Bowser has a player file because he's a playable character on the roster though Final Smashes, just like every other transformation-based Final Smash. That has nothing to do with this (not sure what all the talk of hacks has to do with this either). And I'd love to see how a boss like Ridley, since that's the example you seem to like, would work on Reset Bomb Forest or a number of the other 3DS stages. Bosses would most likely have a stage built with them in mind and meant to be played on that stage. Just because they can technically be played on any stage doesn't mean that they would be fun, and restricting it to only certain stages if you pick a bosses just you trying to make it work somehow, that would be really overcomplicated for something that's been planned for a while.

This is all worthless until you find some sources to back up your interpretations like I have, which you refuse to do for some reason. Until then this debate is going nowhere fast.

Sakurai already said that there wouldn't be any Gamepad features.
He said their wouldn't be any gamepad-specific controls for regular fights as he doesn't want to give one player an advantage. This idea could easily work without the gamepad as well, the gamepad is just one possible way you could select the boss.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai already said that there wouldn't be any Gamepad features.
Ah, I love real logic here. This is correct. The Gamepad cannot be used for any special playable character controls due to the 3DS not having that as an option. Everybody will control the same overall. Otherwise it can't be done. Since it will(deal with it, people) be added to the 3DS as a feature if it's available on the Wii U so the playable roster is 100% the same like he outright promised and made clear over and over again, it cannot use the touch pad at all.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ah, I love real logic here. This is correct. The Gamepad cannot be used for any special playable character controls due to the 3DS not having that as an option. Everybody will control the same overall. Otherwise it can't be done. Since it will(deal with it, people) be added to the 3DS as a feature if it's available on the Wii U so the playable roster is 100% the same like he outright promised and made clear over and over again, it cannot use the touch pad at all.[/B]
Unless Sakurai changed his mind... :troll:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hope not. This would just be awful and insulting. I don't want to play as Boss Characters.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Ah, I love real logic here. This is correct. The Gamepad cannot be used for any special playable character controls due to the 3DS not having that as an option. Everybody will control the same overall. Otherwise it can't be done. Since it will(deal with it, people) be added to the 3DS as a feature if it's available on the Wii U so the playable roster is 100% the same like he outright promised and made clear over and over again, it cannot use the touch pad at all.
Are you planning on buying the Wii U version, or just the 3ds version?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't want to play as Boss Characters.
Then don't click on the Boss Character Mode then.

For me, I'd like this idea, as long as it is isn't the only exclusive mode in the wii u version

Last edited:

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Both of course.

I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic, though?
Okay cool. I just thought you might have a vendetta against the Wii U version having more modes or whatever than the 3ds version. It IS 20 extra bucks after all, and we need something to make it worth that much. Sorry, it's just I know a lot of people can't afford to buy a wii u, which is understandable because I would be angry too if I could only get the 3ds version.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay cool. I just thought you might have a vendetta against the Wii U version having more modes or whatever than the 3ds version. It IS 20 more dollars after all, and we need something to make it worth that much. Sorry, it's just I know a lot of people can't afford to buy a wii u, which is understandable because I would be angry too if I could only get the 3ds version.
Context, my friend. I have an issue with characters being exclusive. I don't care about other modes/etc. That's just unique and makes it fun.

That, and you know, I agree with Sakurai that zero exclusive characters shall exist. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds As noted directly on here as well.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
This is just so strange. They teased Metal Face and Ridley, and neither is in 3DS in any shape or form. But them being playable bosses in Wii U may already be ruled out if exclusive playable bosses would go against what Sakurai said about "playable characters" (if that's the exact meaning, regardless of what words he used) being the exact same for both.

I don't know what to think anymore... =/ I hope they start revealing new characters leading up to Wii U's release and let you download them on 3DS at some later time (either free or even with a price). That would explain why Ridley's teased. But having a playable boss Ridley would go against what Sakurai said so... I'm keeping hope for downloadable characters.

But I really don't know anymore haha

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
After thinking a bit more about "Smash 6" and the theories surrounding what that might be, I actually agree with HyperFalcon to some extent. One theory suggests that "Smash 6" will be a the Ultimate version of Smash, sort of combining both 4 and 5 plus more characters and stages for release on the Wii U and New 3DS. If this theory has any merit, boss characters could easily be added in the pack.

I don't really venture outside the leak group much, so if the "Smash 6" job listing isn't as well-known in the rest of the forum, look here (but keep discussion about it to some other thread please): http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/07/sma...says-new-game-is-coming-to-wii-u-3ds-in-2015/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
After thinking a bit more about "Smash 6" and the theories surrounding what that might be, I actually agree with HyperFalcon to some extent. One theory suggests that "Smash 6" will be a the Ultimate version of Smash, sort of combining both 4 and 5 plus more characters and stages for release on the Wii U and New 3DS. If this theory has any merit, boss characters could easily be added in the pack.

I don't really venture outside the leak group much, so if the "Smash 6" job listing isn't as well-known in the rest of the forum, look here (but keep discussion about it to some other thread please): http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/07/sma...says-new-game-is-coming-to-wii-u-3ds-in-2015/
Just remember what we also know. If Sakurai stays with his word, the regular Wii U version(an Ultimate Wii U version could be new to combine with the N3DS version though) can't have any new characters regardless.

But I could totally see this being a Wii U Ultimate and N3DS exclusive mode too. :)

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Is it all possible they changed their minds late/later into development about the versions having the same characters?

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just remember what we also know. If Sakurai stays with his word, the regular Wii U version(an Ultimate Wii U version could be new to combine with the N3DS version though) can't have any new characters regardless.

But I could totally see this being a Wii U Ultimate and N3DS exclusive mode too. :)
Don't forget the exact wording was they would have the same roster, that means there can be new characters as long it would be available to all versions of the game at some point!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't forget the exact wording was they would have the same roster, that means there can be new characters as long it would be available to all versions of the game at some point!
Pretty much. Many have realize this makes DLC for both versions(or whatever) reasonable.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I would probably cancel my pre-order of the Wii U version that would be just the biggest slap to the face and insult as a Ridley fan

Last edited:
Top Bottom