• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory Talk on Airdodge Use Vs. Uncontestable Moves

MultipLe

Smash Rookie
As I listen to smooth jazz and enjoy my breaks, I'm always brainstorming ideas for improving my game in new ways and today; I'd like to bounce some ideas with anyone who's interested.

Playing a lot of the Inceneroar, Swords, and Wolf matchups as Pikachu is forcing me to find less committal, smart options to work around their big buttons and good frame data.
Since Pikachu has quite fast and small moves with only a low priority projectile and quick attack for neutral, I've been really working the system to enable me. I'll share what I've been using to solve situations with below so I can organize my experiences better, and maybe help somone learn a bit about problem solving in fighters.
If anyone would like to add some uses or thoughts for anything I'm already using, feel free to do so!

//Star Wolf\\
+Vs Wolf I often can't move around or directly beat out neutral b, ftilt, and his other mixups to those in a clean, reliable way. Jumping over and trying to fall on him with aerials often caught me in the rising or falling portion of my jumps, and even if you don't intend to, wolf blaster often option selects jumping over because of his uppercut with the firing portion.
I found doing a directional air dodge macro towards him vs blaster allows for me to guaranteed punish if I'm correct, and if I'm incorrect, he often can't punish properly due to the spacing and short end lag.
Additionally, when I do get the opportunity to get in the air before his blaster catches me rising, even if he didn't fire a blaster before i jumped, I get to then have a solid guess on whether he wants to press a button after to interrupt my aerial.
If he ends up pressing a button like ftilt and I read with an air dodge down or diagonally backwards after my jump, he then is open to a ton of solid options from my punish and pressure game.

It's actually really simple when I put it down into words, but I'm hoping to build upon the foundation of simple exchanges and solve some better scenarios in future posts.

Top Bottom